Author Topic: Glow-Lux / Afterglow Fluorescents .. Anyone See These?  (Read 2369 times)
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Glow-Lux / Afterglow Fluorescents .. Anyone See These? « on: July 23, 2010, 01:35:17 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Note how the title says "GLOW-Lux" not "GROW-lux" -LOL- these look really cool they supposedly glow for up to 12 hours after being turned off :o oooh I'd love to have a pair of those (but not for $30/each)

Check out their website: www glow-lux com
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 01:37:11 PM by xmaslightguy » Logged

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

DieselNut

View Posts
View Gallery

John

jonathon.graves johng917 GeorgiaJohn
Re: Glow-Lux / Afterglow Fluorescents .. Anyone See These? « Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 02:34:43 PM » Author: DieselNut
AWESOME!  I would love to have a few of those, but that price is steep.  I wonder how long the glow stuff is good for?  When the lamp reaches EOL, could it be "charged up" by leaving it in the fixture between good lamps?

Preheat Fluorescents forever!
I love diesel engines, rural/farm life and vintage lighting!

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Glow-Lux / Afterglow Fluorescents .. Anyone See These? « Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 04:41:44 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
I was wondering too about how long the 'glow stuff' would last ...
I bet they'd glow & and charge up under a blacklight :)

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Glow-Lux / Afterglow Fluorescents .. Anyone See These? « Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 05:16:33 PM » Author: Medved
It use the same active substance as used in "glow-in-the-dark" gatgets, only made in better quality and applied in better way.
The substance itself does not degrade as much, but as it is only in form a dust, it need some binding material. And this is the thing, what usually degrade and cause the whole afterglow effect to disappear on the finished product.

Generally with good quality manufacturer, or the "afterglow" functionality would last the same as the bulb rating, or it's life would be rated separately (if shorter).

Yes, it should be possible to "charge" by any higher energetic light (UV-A is the best, but blue work well too - e.g. from LED's), but use it in this way would mean quite low efficiency.
Usually it is applied using some silicone-like binder substance coated on the outer surface of the tube, so might be peeled off the tube and sticked to some other material (e.g. the reflector behind the fluorescent tubes).
Some years ago i noticed some company to offer this in the form of self-adhesive foil (beside emergency guide stickers made from the same material, so not needing emergency illumination), what you apply as the "reflector" surface behind fluorescent tubes, so it is then the reflector, what gives off the "backup" light.

No more selfballasted c***

DieselNut

View Posts
View Gallery

John

jonathon.graves johng917 GeorgiaJohn
Re: Glow-Lux / Afterglow Fluorescents .. Anyone See These? « Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 02:25:56 PM » Author: DieselNut
That would be a great idea, to apply it to the fixture itself.

Preheat Fluorescents forever!
I love diesel engines, rural/farm life and vintage lighting!

Luminaire

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Glow-Lux / Afterglow Fluorescents .. Anyone See These? « Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 05:51:38 AM » Author: Luminaire
Gotta be a little bit skeptical when they say "Patented" without citing patent numbers.  They do it, Blue Max does it.  One of my pet peeves.  I like how the SPD graph looks almost exactly like Duro-Test's.

NEC makes persistent glow CFLs, circlines (250mA 20W, 425mA 32 and 40W, 600mA 30W) as well as F40T10 in 8,000
5,300 and 2,700 kelvins. 

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Glow-Lux / Afterglow Fluorescents .. Anyone See These? « Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 08:40:24 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
I see that all the time where something will say "Patented" and nothing more.

Does NEC call it 'persistent glow' or are they using another brand name?

Luminaire

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Glow-Lux / Afterglow Fluorescents .. Anyone See These? « Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 10:27:58 PM » Author: Luminaire
I see that all the time where something will say "Patented" and nothing more.

Does NEC call it 'persistent glow' or are they using another brand name?

The brand name is Hotalook
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Glow-Lux / Afterglow Fluorescents .. Anyone See These? « Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 10:46:32 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
Google didn't turn up too much, but yep looks like those NEC Hotalook are the same basic thing :)

--------
Interesting thing i noticed last night with the Glow-Lux / Afterglow ones... the company that does them is located the state where i live :)

I found one place online selling them for around S14 :shock: better than $30, still a bit pricey

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies