Author Topic: Commercial style post top fixtures being used residentially  (Read 1277 times)
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Commercial style post top fixtures being used residentially « on: May 18, 2024, 08:43:10 AM » Author: Cole D.
In my area I’ve noticed several houses where commercial grade post top fixtures were being used in people’s yards.

There are a few GE Town and Country style fixtures at some houses… I’ve seen black ones and white ones, both HPS and MV.

There are a few houses in my neighborhood that have the GE space ship looking ones, I believe they’re all MV. One seems to have disappeared, and one sadly got the glass broken after hurricane Irma and got replaced with either an LED or CFL bucket light on a post top adapter.

There’s one house on the back way to the next town, and it has two GE Town and Country LED post tops on either side of the gate. There used to be a lot of wooden poles going down the driveway… it’s a very long driveway… and those had MH yardblasters on them.

That house sold a few months ago and I recently noticed all of those yardblasters got replaced with more GE post tops matching the ones at the gate! I was really surprised they would do that.

It must’ve cost a fortune? And where would the buy them? You can’t just order them at the home center or hardware store. lol

One of my neighbors a few doors down also has a black post top HPS fixture in their back yard by the lake… I haven’t seen it on in years though. Not sure how old it is, but it was likely installed by the previous owner or two. They used to also have an ITT cobra fixture somewhere in the yard… I remember it being put out for trash when I was a kid… I saw it riding my bike one day, of course my dad said “you are NOT taking that home.” 😂
« Last Edit: May 18, 2024, 08:45:34 AM by Cole D. » Logged

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Mandolin Girl
Re: Commercial style post top fixtures being used residentially « Reply #1 on: May 18, 2024, 03:12:58 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Spoilsport... :mrg:
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Commercial style post top fixtures being used residentially « Reply #2 on: May 18, 2024, 04:50:34 PM » Author: Cole D.
😂

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Maxim

View Posts
View Gallery

Stop replacing fixtures that can be retrofitted.

Re: Commercial style post top fixtures being used residentially « Reply #3 on: May 18, 2024, 11:17:42 PM » Author: Maxim
There are quite a lot of Town and Countrys by me also. Mainly white in color and MV. Don't know where they sourced them from, but it's cool.

Collector of all kinds of lamps, gear, and fixtures.
My favorite lighting technologies at the moment are incandescent and mercury vapor, and my favorite Big 3 lighting brand of the late 20th century is GTE Sylvania.

About that Westinghouse Lifeguard disease, I think I've caught it. Thanks Eric! 8)

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Commercial style post top fixtures being used residentially « Reply #4 on: May 19, 2024, 10:19:21 AM » Author: joseph_125
I've seen some more rural properties with stuff like Sylvania/Powerlite Twistpaks or the RAB Thorn Gamma 6 clone. I think actual streetlights and yard lights are more common though. Even seen some gumballs and clamshells.

Most suburban homes have something like a standard incandescent/LED posttop instead. One in my neighbourhood has a HPS posttop in what looks like a standard residential fixture. Maybe he has a postline ballast.
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Commercial style post top fixtures being used residentially « Reply #5 on: May 19, 2024, 08:13:51 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 I installed this one : https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=5202&pos=288&pid=173786 by my neighbors fire pit/party area .  I found it on the side of the road still in the box where it had apparently fell off the back of a contractor's truck !

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Mandolin Girl
Re: Commercial style post top fixtures being used residentially « Reply #6 on: May 19, 2024, 08:53:24 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
So it literally 'fell off the back of a lorry'...  :wndr: :mrg:
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Commercial style post top fixtures being used residentially « Reply #7 on: May 19, 2024, 08:54:27 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 I'd guess . 

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Commercial style post top fixtures being used residentially « Reply #8 on: May 19, 2024, 10:12:09 PM » Author: joseph_125
There's a store called Princess Auto here that has a surplus stock section and they seem to get the most random things. I've seen stuff such as LED traffic signal modules, new LED cobraheads there and in the past they've even sold stuff like 175w MV GE Crimefighters, clamshells, gumballs, various other cobraheads.

Anyway I wonder if that's how most people with streetlights in their yard ended up with them, at least here.
Richmond2000

View Posts
View Gallery

120V 60HZ

Re: Commercial style post top fixtures being used residentially « Reply #9 on: May 20, 2024, 02:23:16 AM » Author: Richmond2000
last year got a 175 watt MV yard blaster and almost got a roadfocus small from them and they sold the crimefighters as NORMAL stock not surplus as I understand it
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Commercial style post top fixtures being used residentially « Reply #10 on: May 20, 2024, 10:07:16 PM » Author: Cole D.
Yeah I remember hearing about Princess Auto.

Similar to that, seems like there was a utility grade LED fixture being sold here in the US by some retailer, but I can’t place who or which one.

Maybe the Cooper Caretaker?

fluorescent lover 40

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Commercial style post top fixtures being used residentially « Reply #11 on: May 21, 2024, 03:42:57 AM » Author: fluorescent lover 40
The only commercial post top I saw on a house was a GE PM series post top that's painted black. Haven't seen it at night but it's been around (and still is) as long as I can remember.

@Cole D.: I have seen the Caretaker sold at an ACE Hardware. I think 29w 4000K for about 130 dollars and the refractor (sold separately) was either 20 or 30 dollars. Not sure if that ACE still sells them though.
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Commercial style post top fixtures being used residentially « Reply #12 on: May 21, 2024, 08:08:48 PM » Author: Cole D.
Yeah I just checked and Ace does still sell it, although only one of the stores I see in my tri county area has it in stock. They have them on Amazon too.

Richmond2000

View Posts
View Gallery

120V 60HZ

Re: Commercial style post top fixtures being used residentially « Reply #13 on: May 26, 2024, 12:45:07 AM » Author: Richmond2000
caretaker yard lights are common at "proper" lighting supply shops in Canada and is the "barn light" replacement for the ubiquities "NIMA HEAD" styled HID yard blasters that was sold at every hardware store
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Commercial style post top fixtures being used residentially « Reply #14 on: May 27, 2024, 12:39:51 AM » Author: Cole D.
I just remembered another house I went to one time. It was out in the country, set pretty far off the road. It had some more of those commercial type post type fixtures, in black. These were on tall poles though, about what height you’d see for a utility installation, whereas a lot of the HID post top-in-residential installs I see put them at a lower height.

I just looked up the place on Streetview, and these weren’t GE Town and Country, they look more like Cooper Traditionaire models.

The place didn’t look very old, I’d say late 2000s era or so, so probably HPS units.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies