Author Topic: Thing that i don't understand in the US lamps why this is happening  (Read 1848 times)
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Thing that i don't understand in the US lamps why this is happening « on: September 12, 2010, 06:05:22 AM » Author: dor123
I found that several European lamps series that discontinued in Europe in the middle of the 90' or later in the 2000s, still exist in the US. This includes the following lamps:
The original (First) Dulux EL of Osram (Without the Longlife and Economy suffixes), from the american Sylvania company, perhaps still manufactured today, despite that in Europe they discontinued in the 90' by the Dulux EL Longlife and Economy and in the 2000s by the Duluxstars and the Dulux Quickstarts.
The Philips Halogena lamps, which were a commercial failure in Europe (Because consumers didn't recognised the lamps as for household use and as retrofits for incandescents, but for commercial places, because of their distinctive BT shape and also because of their very high cost (>100NIS for 100W Halogena in Israel)), still manufacturered widely in the US today in the original form (BT) modified somewhat, as well as various other shape (The current halogen retrofit of Philips in Europe are the EcoClassic with A shape soft glass instead of the professional BT shape hard glass, as well as another shapes with much lower costs then the Halogena).
The original Philips Agro (HPS for plant growing) which still manufactured today in USA, despite that in Europe it was discontinued in the begining of the 2000s, by the Master GreenPower.
Why this is happening in the USA?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 08:58:59 AM by dor123 » Logged

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: Thing that i don't understand in the US lamps why this is happening « Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 11:52:52 AM » Author: Silverliner
The Dulux EL is now a spiral lamp as far as I know. The old stick style ones were discontinued about 8-10 years ago.

The BT shaped halogen lamps are indeed still available here but are sold as a novelty. Not a whole lot are sold. New halogen energy savers come in the A shape.

Not sure why the SON Agro lamp is sold here, I suppose there is still a market for them.

Remember the lighting infrastructure in the USA, Canada and Mexico is completely different from Europe so different products are sold. We have many of the same technologies however, many stores use CMH, T5, T8, etc.

I found that several European lamps series that discontinued in Europe in the middle of the 90' or later in the 2000s, still exist in the US. This includes the following lamps:
The original (First) Dulux EL of Osram (Without the Longlife and Economy suffixes), from the american Sylvania company, perhaps still manufactured today, despite that in Europe they discontinued in the 90' by the Dulux EL Longlife and Economy and in the 2000s by the Duluxstars and the Dulux Quickstarts.
The Philips Halogena lamps, which were a commercial failure in Europe (Because consumers didn't recognised the lamps as for household use and as retrofits for incandescents, but for commercial places, because of their distinctive BT shape and also because of their very high cost (>100NIS for 100W Halogena in Israel)), still manufacturered widely in the US today in the original form (BT) modified somewhat, as well as various other shape (The current halogen retrofit of Philips in Europe are the EcoClassic with A shape soft glass instead of the professional BT shape hard glass, as well as another shapes with much lower costs then the Halogena).
The original Philips Agro (HPS for plant growing) which still manufactured today in USA, despite that in Europe it was discontinued in the begining of the 2000s, by the Master GreenPower.
Why this is happening in the USA?

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Thing that i don't understand in the US lamps why this is happening « Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 01:53:35 PM » Author: Medved
As far as i observed, the DULUX EL didn't disappear, only cheaper, instant start version was made called "Economy", why the original was renamed to "Long Life", but it is essentially the same as the "old" DULUX EL (ballast design - uses the same resonant feedback self oscillating two-FET inverter with PTC preheat connected in the middle of the resonant capacitor splitted into two series parts, connection between ballast and the tube by spring contacts, 3 U-bend tubes connected by narrow bridges,...)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 12:06:10 PM by Medved » Logged

No more selfballasted c***

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Thing that i don't understand in the US lamps why this is happening « Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 02:32:10 PM » Author: dor123
Thanks for all.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

James

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Thing that i don't understand in the US lamps why this is happening « Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 06:25:22 AM » Author: James
It is indeed ironic that many of the best inventions in new lamp technologies have emerged from American developers - but are sadly not taken up quickly in that country and it continues to use lamps which were superseded decades ago in the rest of the world. 

To understand why, you have to consider two points.  Firstly, electricity in USA has traditionally been very cheap compared to the rest of the world.  If the new and better performing lamps are more expensive, it is harder to justify this increased price because the payback time via energy savings takes much longer.  Secondly, the average North American consumer of lamps (probably though with the exception of people on this forum!) are intensely price-focussed and will tend to choose a product based more on price than its technical specification.  These two factors combine to result in a situation where old lamp designs (which are often cheaper) remain in existence longer in USA than anywhere else in the world.  It is truly astonishing if you visit USA to see examples such as how many streets remain lit with incandescent lamps, or how many mercury lamps remain in existence (even the low-cost clear versions which disappeared 30 years ago in Europe), or how many new magnetic ballasts are still being installed.

Things will no doubt change in the near future as government legislation phases out the less efficient products.  As we saw already in EU, the only way to truly make consumers step away from incandescent, mercury, halophosphor T8s, quartz Metal halide, standard HPS, magnetic ballasts and a whole host of other old technologies is to physically ban those products from being sold.  But the Americas do have a nice advantage for lamp collectors for the time being, because its still so easy to find ancient products that disappeared decaedes ago for the rest of the world :-)
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies