Author Topic: Why this is happening?  (Read 2431 times)
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Why this is happening? « on: September 23, 2010, 02:06:45 PM » Author: dor123
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldeJUJuyJ5A
Photographed at my grandmother tenement in her parents home, this ~20NIS, chinese energy saving helical 865 CFL lamp recently started to do this when turning it on.
It glows very dim, with random flickering, striations and standing waves for several minutes until it finally turns on.
Why this is happening?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 02:32:32 PM by dor123 » Logged

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why this is happening? « Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 03:47:24 PM » Author: Medved
Are regions close to tube ends very hot?
If yes, cathodes are loosing emissivity.
If no and mainly if the light contain 100Hz flicker, the electrolytic capacitor is likely dead (open circuit), so does not filter the rectified mains anymore. If there is a film capacitor in parallel (in many design it is), such failure does not blow up semiconductors, as the film capacitor catch all switching spikes.

No more selfballasted c***

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Why this is happening? « Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 02:00:23 AM » Author: dor123
@Medved: This lamps didn't flickered with the mains in any case.
The lamp did this only in the first several minutes and then turned on at normal intensity without flickering. I don't touched the tube ends so i don't know if they were very hot.
The helical starts directly from the ballast and not farther from the ballast like most helical CFLs (Example my Philips Tornado), so the electrodes hidden somewhat. but blackening was there.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 02:01:54 AM by dor123 » Logged

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies