Author Topic: Facebook Anyone?  (Read 5896 times)
Mercury Man

View Posts
View Gallery

Facebook Anyone? « on: September 27, 2010, 01:09:50 AM » Author: Mercury Man
Hello Everybody,

Recently, I found a few of our fellow members on Facebook.  I must say, it's fun to get to know fellow lighting enthusiasts beyond the mere text that is posted on here.

What I find to be fascinating is that those of us who share common interests seem to have other likenesses as well. 

I recently joined a vintage vacuum cleaner forum (as aside from lights I've been fascinated with vacuum cleaners since childhood), and I discovered that a member there was a mutual friend of a member of this site.

I don't know if any of you share the same interest in vacuum cleaners...but the site I recently joined is called "vacuumland.org". 

We all seem to share an interest in vintage technology and electrics.  I just wanted to share with you all something else I have a passion for.  I'm new to collecting old vacuum cleaners and have rebuilt a few vacuum motors myself.  Check the site out if you like. 

And feel free to find me on Facebook if you have an account!  My name is "Brian Jacob" and I live in Seaford, NY in case you didn't know.

Take care!
Brian

Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Facebook Anyone? « Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 10:45:07 AM » Author: Roi_hartmann
I dont have a facebook account but I blab little about my interest for old things

Im a big fan of old technology, especially if it has something to do with electricity. also, old buildings and other old things are very interesting. especially if backgroud story is know.

In electronics, Im a fan of analog technology. digital technology, especially modern one feels somehow so cold. its all just 0s and 1s. I like to buy music in vinyl records if possible. I also still buy lots of cds even thought you could easely buy almost all music in the internet directly. it just feel so different when you search the right cd on the shelf. take it out, put it in your cd-player, select right track, press play. maybe take a little look for the booklet. its so much different than just click to play the track from your computer.

I have some electron tube amplifiers and radios. Im not sure if those have any better sound than transistor counterparts but I just like those for some reason. I have also some other "weird" and older sound equipments.

Also analog tv was much more fun than digital one. sometimes you could see some fancy interference but it did not bother me very much. novadays, there are no interference, it works or not, there are no anymore "it works sort of" there are just 1 and 0. even thought digital tv has many good things like EPG and such. Analog one was much more in my taste.

I like professional equipments too. those are made to last(as I feel consumer products are not novadays.)

Ive been thinking to start collecting old surface mounted light switches and connection boxes etc. from 50s and 60s. I have already found some and thinking to install them in my familys summerhouse(replace some of the modern ones). I think those are more nicely designed than modern ones.

Aamulla aurinko, illalla AIRAM

SuperSix

View Posts
View Gallery

ATL P42STUFF supersix94
Re: Facebook Anyone? « Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 12:28:38 PM » Author: SuperSix
I agree with you on the analogue television, it's either all or nothing now. A bad signal on digital can make it impossible to watch things which might have come out a bit grainy looking on analogue but still watchable.

I have a general interest in old electrical equipment and old appliances, they outlast any of today's rubbish. I have a some old rheostats, a couple of old variacs and some old light switches.

I also have an interest in Asbestos, this is probably a rather dangerous thing to be interested in!

Atlas Lamps - Seeing Is Believing!

http://www.youtube.com/user/P42STUFF

RCM442
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

rcm442 UC1Q-wYhi9O-1q4ugOaOZ9dA rcm442
Re: Facebook Anyone? « Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 02:36:34 PM » Author: RCM442
Brian, already have you on mine! but here it is for anyone else that wants to know!
http://www.facebook.com/rcm442

LEDs need to stop taking over everything
Administrator #4
Need help with something on the site? Let me know!

Foxtronix

View Posts
View Gallery

Formerly "TiCoune66". Also known here as Vince.

GoL UCs4tSgJSCoCIMGThBuaePhA
Re: Facebook Anyone? « Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 06:39:46 PM » Author: Foxtronix
I am personally into retro-gaming, particularly with the 90s videogames. I recently found two original Gameboys and one Gameboy Color at the recycle centre.  8) Hearing the typical 16-bit music of those is so much nostalgia!

I like to mess with various electrical stuff, including motors. I have a new project for my workshop that involves motors, fans, relays, lights, an old stove hood I need to find and some HVAC basics. Sounds cool doesn't it? xD

Oh and here's my Facebook page.

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Facebook Anyone? « Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 09:55:43 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
I agree on analog vs digital TV as well...pretty much prefered it the old way LOL...besides i still have an old low-def TV anyway

I do like the HD (FM) radio, because they still broadcast in analog, but also add on a digital signal which gives more 'stations' (but it does "sound like" MP3's)
...for the most part i can barely pick up any AM station, so the digital part is out. (wouldn't listen to analog AM even if it came in since its MONO)
--------------

Back on the original subject:
I do have both a FaceBook and MySpace but don't use them :?

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

DieselNut

View Posts
View Gallery

John

jonathon.graves johng917 GeorgiaJohn
Re: Facebook Anyone? « Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 11:02:52 PM » Author: DieselNut
Well, yall know one of my other passions, from my "handle" on here and YouTube.  I love just about all diesel engines, but, like my lights, I prefer the non electronic type.  I make my own fuel for all my equipment/vehicles, using a 50% blend of filtered waste cooking oil and diesel fuel.  That list includes: 2005 Jeep Liberty 4x4 automatic CRD, 2003 Dodge 3500 4x4 4 door 6 speed Cummins, 1996 Dodge 3500 ex cab 4x4 5 speed Cummins, 1987 Mercedes 300D automatic, 2005 Kubota M9000 4x4 tractor with cab and loader, 1999 Kubota TG1860 riding mower, 2007 Arctic Cat TRV 4x4 ATV, 2007 Miller Bobcat welding machine (with Kubota engine), Champion 30 gallon air compressor with 10 horse air cooled Yanmar engine, (2) 3500 watt Robin generators, pressure washer, firewood splitter and 2" water pump each with L70 (7 horse) Yanmar air cooled engine.  Rebuild/restore projects include my 1958 John Deere 820 tractor and 1999 Polaris diesel ATV.
I also like old just about anything.  I bought my property for the land and the structures were considered no value.  I restored the old house and barn, which were built in 1940 and the smokeshed and feed shed which were built much earlier.  All have vintage fluorescent lighting and the house and shop have vintage plumbing fixtures (yep, I like a full power toilet too!!) and contain most of the original wood, which was sawn from the property when the structures were originally built.
I have a nice little collection of vinyl records, mostly classic country and bluegrass. I have some antique furniture, kitchen/garden/hand tools and canning supplies and a very nice antique wall clock I inherited from my grandparents.  I also have a vintage Electtrolux canister vacuum cleaner.  My mother has one nearly identical.  They don't make em like that anymore!  I do listen to AM radio regularly, but have been less since my news/talk station started also broadcasting on FM.  I am a political nut too and am Conservative/Libertarian.
I am on facebook and check it regularly.  It is easiest to find me there using my e-mail.

Preheat Fluorescents forever!
I love diesel engines, rural/farm life and vintage lighting!

Mercury Man

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Facebook Anyone? « Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 12:13:51 AM » Author: Mercury Man
Wow!

It's amazing how many of us love vintage stuff other than lights!

@ Vince...I still have yet to find and buy an old Nintendo gaming system.  I remember in September of 1987 when my parents bought me an original 8-bit Nintendo with Super Mario Bros. and Duck Hunt as the complimentary cartridges for my 14th birthday.  I thought I was going to have a heart attack, I was so excited.  I can't even say how many hours I spent playing "Legend of Zelda" over and over again...I was OBSESSED with that game. 

Sadly, that system is long gone...somewhere/sometime when I moved out of my parents' house about 13 years ago, it got lost due to disinterest...

Does anyone on here remember having a "Commodore 64" computer?  That was another one of my obsessions. 

Oh, and do any of you remember growing up in a household in which an Electrolux vacuum cleaner was regularly used?  :-P

Brian

SuperSix

View Posts
View Gallery

ATL P42STUFF supersix94
Re: Facebook Anyone? « Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 02:40:38 AM » Author: SuperSix
I completely forgot to mention in my earlier post that me and my Dad share an interest in retro gaming.

Brian, I'm too young to remember the Commodore 64 but my Dad has one somewhere and a Sinclair Spectrum. There's a Sega Saturn, a Mega Drive and a Master System in my bedroom, I'm more of a Sega person and most of the old Nintendo stuff is in the loft.

Atlas Lamps - Seeing Is Believing!

http://www.youtube.com/user/P42STUFF

DieselNut

View Posts
View Gallery

John

jonathon.graves johng917 GeorgiaJohn
Re: Facebook Anyone? « Reply #9 on: September 28, 2010, 01:31:28 PM » Author: DieselNut
LOL at the old video games.  I had an Atari, not long after they came out.  Wore it slap out and it got junked.  Gave the games to a friend who had one.  Had the first Nintendo also.  Wore it out too!  I have a first issue GameBoy unit and the first Playstation.  I also have a Wii, although I hardly play games anymore.
First computers I used were the Apple kind with the 5 1/4" floppy disks.  Also had a "Tandy" home computer.  All they were good for was "word processing".

Preheat Fluorescents forever!
I love diesel engines, rural/farm life and vintage lighting!

RCM442
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Facebook Anyone? « Reply #10 on: September 28, 2010, 02:27:52 PM » Author: RCM442
As some of you that added me on facebook will notice, a lot of my friends have disabilities, I have a bunch myself! eventually I will post a list!

Administrator #4

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Facebook Anyone? « Reply #11 on: September 28, 2010, 06:55:09 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
My parents had an Apple ][ Plus  ...that thing got allot allot of use LOL i wish they woulda kept it :(
My brother has one of the original Nintendos ... as far as i know it still works

----------

Some stuff i shoulda added on me:
I love stuff like Surround Sound (the older Dolby Pro Logic) LOL i know how to control that and have had fun playing around on the computer making surround files :)

Also like any sorta delay/reverb/echo/pitch-change digital processor type stereo/audio equipment :) all very cool :lol: LOL :lol: but due to cost ofcourse don't have anything cool/fancy ... just a couple older things picked up because they were inexpensive :) LOL

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: Facebook Anyone? « Reply #12 on: September 28, 2010, 07:38:39 PM » Author: Silverliner
I do have Facebook and several LG members are on my list. Boy you guys bring back memories! As an 80s kid I remember the Atari, Nintendo, Colecovision, Intellivision, etc etc. I also remember the old Commodore VIC20 that played some programs on cassettes. I collect some 70s and 80s TV hits on DVD, I collect some video games too. The newest system I have is the Wii. I still have my NES and Sega Genesis from way back in the late 80s. Glad to be here and share my interests with ya all!

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

RCM442
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Facebook Anyone? « Reply #13 on: September 28, 2010, 07:56:30 PM » Author: RCM442
Well, everyone, here's my website! I had to start fresh due to various problems I was having with it but it's working fine now! www.rcm.4fd.us

Administrator #4

Foxtronix

View Posts
View Gallery

Formerly "TiCoune66". Also known here as Vince.

GoL UCs4tSgJSCoCIMGThBuaePhA
Re: Facebook Anyone? « Reply #14 on: September 28, 2010, 09:11:53 PM » Author: Foxtronix
New consoles like the Wii are really cool, but I'm glad to have known those 80s and 90s video games. It kinda makes me laugh when I read those videogame reviews, criticizing graphics of today's consoles LOL. They were so simple no more than 15 years ago, yet I still had fun.

The game I preferred the most was Kirby Super Star on SNES. I didn't have that game, but one of my friends have it, and I helped him to complete it almost 10 years ago. I still remember how loud we were, especially the second we beat the final boss XD Never had so much fun afterwards. I could talk for hours about retrogaming, but it's gonna be too long LOL!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies