Author Topic: NEMA head area light gets creamed by falling transformer  (Read 11018 times)
don93s

View Posts
View Gallery

NEMA head area light gets creamed by falling transformer « on: October 22, 2010, 06:11:01 PM » Author: don93s
Looks like arcing wires burned through the wooden pole.

LINK
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: NEMA head area light gets creamed by falling transformer « Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 08:02:57 AM » Author: Medved
What is strange, i never heard about any similar arcing/fires here, never seen any such arcing video from other countries then US...

But wiring damage does happen, mainly in the winter, while power microcuts (~0.5s outages) during storms are common, so i assume HV wires do touch each other and/or break in heavy weather as well, but the protections work well to shut these arcs down, so we have no such shows.

There is no such protection on these HV lines in US or what cause the arcing to continue for so long and even cause fires?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 08:07:30 AM by Medved » Logged

No more selfballasted c***

gailgrove

View Posts
View Gallery

MVs at Dusk

Re: NEMA head area light gets creamed by falling transformer « Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 08:32:14 AM » Author: gailgrove
Whats odd is that all of the arcing happens on the low voltage 120 volt lines not the high voltage one, and the NEMA head looks OK it just needs a new optical assembly and it will be good as new  ;)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 09:13:04 AM by gailgrove » Logged

Say no to Induction & LED, HID forever!

SeanB~1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: NEMA head area light gets creamed by falling transformer « Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 08:55:15 AM » Author: SeanB~1
High voltage arcing generally is fatal to the wiring, causing it to go open pretty fast. Low voltage can arc for a long while, as the thicker cable evaporates a lot more slowly, giving a longer arc time.

I remember when a mobile crane ( that has a faulty interlock, so it was coming in for service) that erected the boom while driving and contacted a power line that supplied the district. One phase of the lights went out, then a second phase, whilst the last stayed on for a second or two more until the supply side disconnected, as it drove though each phase and shorted the 132kV line to ground. The driver did not feel the unit going up, as the road he was on is 16km long, and is straight, though it has some gentle rises and falls along it. The power line is at the top of the highest point when it crosses the road at right angles. SA was unharmed, just a little suprised at the shower of sparks when he hit.
don93s

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: NEMA head area light gets creamed by falling transformer « Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 10:55:45 AM » Author: don93s
As been discussed in our media, the US electrical grid system is very antiquated and in need of upgrade, including many residential circuits. After watching many videos of stuff arcing, etc, it appears that the fuses and other circuit interruption fails in many cases. Sometimes arcing doesn't draw enough current to blow a fuse but can still start fires...especially when involving poor conductors such as trees or wet wooden poles.

This video is perhaps my favorite:   **graphic language**

LINK
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 11:00:10 AM by don93s » Logged
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: NEMA head area light gets creamed by falling transformer « Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 12:12:39 PM » Author: Medved
@don: I think this is clearly the HV line arcing with the tree.
There are no "restricted area" around high voltage lines in the US (i guess it is at least 7kV line)? Here it is about (if i  remember well) 10m (30') from 22kV lines (the most common distribution to villages, there between houses is distributed only 3x230/400V, what then goes directly to homes)

No more selfballasted c***

form109

View Posts
View Gallery
Vintage Lighting Forever

Re: NEMA head area light gets creamed by falling transformer « Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 12:41:02 AM » Author: form109
been a year since i first saw the video.

also consider the wind itself....it says this is during a hurricane...maybe the pole was rotted.

Personally i think that all Lamp Bans are idiotic,the idea of telling us we cant use this lamp type just cause its less efficent is highly (...) in nature...really what good is it going to do?

tmcdllr

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: NEMA head area light gets creamed by falling transformer « Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 03:47:08 AM » Author: tmcdllr
I think this video shows how badly the US electrical system needs upgrading, especially in residential areas. Apparently, this went on all day, from morning until that night....unbelievable!

Moores Mill Road, Hartford County, Aug. 23 1988- electrical surge

Nothing like the beautiful cool white light of a coated Mercury Vapor lamp and the soothing hum of it's magnetic ballast.

don93s

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: NEMA head area light gets creamed by falling transformer « Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 01:19:47 AM » Author: don93s
I think this video shows how badly the US electrical system needs upgrading, especially in residential areas. Apparently, this went on all day, from morning until that night....unbelievable!

Moores Mill Road, Hartford County, Aug. 23 1988- electrical surge

Yeah, I remember that vid...the part where the gutters were exploding off the houses was unbelievable! I never imagined that was possible.
tmcdllr

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: NEMA head area light gets creamed by falling transformer « Reply #9 on: May 28, 2011, 01:28:39 AM » Author: tmcdllr
I know! Can you imagine seeing that happen right in front of you? And it went on ALL DAY! Incredible! There should have been some kind of redundancy in place to shut off the power in case the normal means failed as in the video. My question is, why didn't they just shut the power off for that line in a different location? It would have reduced some of the damage I think.

Nothing like the beautiful cool white light of a coated Mercury Vapor lamp and the soothing hum of it's magnetic ballast.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: NEMA head area light gets creamed by falling transformer « Reply #10 on: June 18, 2011, 04:09:33 AM » Author: dor123
In Israel, in the winter, two storms with winds of 100 km/h (62.14 MPH) struck here and also caused damage to electricity cables and lighting poles.
However, wooden poles are rare in Haifa. Most of the poles are concrete or metal.
Most of the electricity in Israel, supplied from the Israel Electric Corporation, which is a government institution.
There are also several private electricity suppliers that supply electricity to the arabic villages and several settlements and kibbutzim.
This in contrast to the US, where most of the electricity supplied by commercial companies, similar to liner and cellular telephony, television and radio, and so the US government have little supervision on them.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: NEMA head area light gets creamed by falling transformer « Reply #11 on: July 02, 2011, 10:32:20 AM » Author: Ash
Seen some incidents here (Israel)

Wires in 240/415 V line (long distance between poles) got shorted in strong wind. They showered sparks and power went out immediately in the entire area powered from the same transformer (24 KV to 240/415 V)

(cracked ?) porcelain isolator holding a 24 KV wire arcing. It buzzed loudly but arced very little. Took me a while to spot the source of the noise at night

Lightning hit 24 KV pole with some arresters and switches. Everything went out immediately. After a while power came back for a split second, there was a big shower of sparks from the same pole and power went out again. After some time power was restored and nothing else happened with that pole

Series arcing in 24 KV switch that was not fully closed (one phase). It arced for over a week without being noticed (but buzzed quite loud), and after a week all 3 switches were replaced
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: NEMA head area light gets creamed by falling transformer « Reply #12 on: July 02, 2011, 11:46:05 AM » Author: dor123
During one of the two storms that accured in Israel during the last winter, in the way to my mother home, at the begining of a street near the junction of Ramat Hashaoul neighborhood, i saw a metal electricity pole, with a transformer, in which an arc was formed between two part of the system.
In this day, we have many power outages and in Carmel hospital, the generators began to operate.
I wasn't be able to photograph this, because i was inside a bus, and i don't want to photograph from and inside a public transport, because of the fears that passengers would look at me.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: NEMA head area light gets creamed by falling transformer « Reply #13 on: July 02, 2011, 12:57:09 PM » Author: Ash
So they will. So what ?
Lightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: NEMA head area light gets creamed by falling transformer « Reply #14 on: October 23, 2011, 11:05:50 PM » Author: Lightguy
The poor Nema got destroyed by the transformer. =(

N.A. ;)

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies