Author Topic: Continued: Can mercs be saved and other info...  (Read 7074 times)
Semi-Comma

View Posts
View Gallery

Continued: Can mercs be saved and other info... « on: January 07, 2007, 10:18:27 PM » Author: Semi-Comma
well I heard Dark Sky said mercury vapors are just excuse for cheap yard lights and they want it to stop because of the bucket lights........but what I think they should really be doing is shielding them...not banning them because if mercury vapors are banned...guess what will happen.....they will start making MH bucket lights for residental and make it cheap...and guess what...it would be worse for dark sky cuz they are BRIGHTER....I think they should make a law about shielding bucketl lights or make a different design and ban the bucket shaped fixtures instead of banning mercury vapor

Actually "bucket lights" aren't even the main problem. Floodlights that are intended to light objects (billboards, flags, buildings, etc) but shine 80% of their light into the sky, wallpacks with poorly designed optics (pretty much every wallpack you'll ever see), fluorescent backlighted signs, and decorative HID landscape/street luminaires (usually MH/HPS at that) that throw light everywhere are the main problems...or at least, from what I've seen they're the main problems.

And, please remember that the International Dark-Sky Association (and mostly anyone who supports Dark Sky Preservation) knows nothing about outdoor lighting other than that they hate it, and they want to keep it that way. They're activists and they believe their opinions are facts, and no one can change their minds and the only reason they're attacking MV lighting is because it's the easiest target. Even if an engineer from a luminaire or lamp manufacture were to explain everything to them, they'd say that the engineer is only saying it to keep mercury vapor products on the market.

also dark sky wants to ban mercury cuz it has mercury in it....BUT  HEY fluorecent tubes has MORE mercury...so does MH that has same amount of mercury.....they don't regonize it.....it's just cause the Mercury Vapor's name! thats IMO......

You're absolutely right. If it doesn't have "mercury" in its name, people assume it doesn't contain it. Which is why MV lighting is the easiest target, since it contributes to light pollution and contains mercury. And since no one remembers the periodic table (this is America, after all), they don't realize that the "Hg" symbol on newer fluorescent, MH, and HPS lamps means they contain mercury, and you know no one reads the information printed on the packaging.

And hey, it's not just your or my opinion, it's fairly true. My 8th grade science teacher actually said (to our class) that fluorescent lamps use fluorine to produce light and that's why they're called fluorescent. I corrected her, and she responded "no, they can't use mercury because it's too dangerous." Yeah, that's why you're not supposed to lick the floor after a fluorescent lamp busts open on it. The kids in the class looked at me like I was an idiot after that. Oh well, ignorance is bliss. :-\

Honestly, the day I have to take down my "bucket lights" because some sky hippies got their way will be the day I put two 2kW (ok well, probably not actually 2kW) metal halide floodlights outside and aim them at the sky. What? They're not talking about banning metal halide lamps. I'd be doing nothing wrong! And how better to make a point? ;D
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 05:59:56 PM by TudorWhiz » Logged
AE125Series
Re: Continued: Can mercs be saved and other info... « Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 11:59:01 PM » Author: AE125Series
What's more how about taking a 1KW HPS lamp and shining it in DSA's windows just to get revenge then they would ban HPS maybe because a bunch of people were abusing it LOL ;D DSA knows nothing about lighting and they are forgetting that HPS lamps DO contain mercury
AE125Series
Re: Continued: Can mercs be saved and other info... « Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 09:04:00 PM » Author: AE125Series
It's sad people have nothing better to do than harrass someone for having the "wrong" light in their yard. ::)

It's one thing to have an opinion about a light and of course there's nothing wrong with having an opinion, but for the DSA to force their beliefs upon everyone else is just wrong. They already won half the battle because the ballasts will be banned 11 months from now.

Laws should be passed on actual facts, not opinions.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 10:43:25 PM by AE125Series » Logged
prawnman88

View Posts
View Gallery

my old friend proteus the prawn!

Re: Continued: Can mercs be saved and other info... « Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 10:56:46 AM » Author: prawnman88
well im a big merc fan ill never stop using them its actually pretty darn hard to buy mercs here in arizona now. i have noticed over the past few years
form109
Re: Continued: Can mercs be saved and other info... « Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 12:15:58 PM » Author: form109
I'm also a big fan of mercury vapor, I think it's ridiculous that they're going after mercury vapor instead of doing thorough research because obviously these lawmakers don't know anything about lighting.

They need to get their facts straight and realize that for one, high pressure sodium and metal halide contribute to 90% of pollution in the skies at night and second of all metal halide is the most dangerous light source to use plus it contains more mercury in it.

My experience with mercs has always been great since they last longer and I've never had problems with them, unlike HPS & MH.
chapman84
Re: Continued: Can mercs be saved and other info... « Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 10:54:28 PM » Author: chapman84
yeah,metal halide can save us from an ocean of orange light!
chapman84
Re: Continued: Can mercs be saved and other info... « Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 11:03:07 AM » Author: chapman84
Too bad most utilities are afraid to touch them because of their reputation, it would be nice if they could be improved. It's about the only white light source left, I hate to say it but I think mercury vapor lighting is pretty much doomed at this point unfortunately but MH would be a better alternative to the ugly orange color of HPS lights.
TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Continued: Can mercs be saved and other info... « Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 05:15:03 AM » Author: TudorWhiz
Ictron is kinda an alternative of Mercs....a tunnel near me has been fitted with a bunch of ictrons!

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Administrator of Galleryoflights.org

form109
Re: Continued: Can mercs be saved and other info... « Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 02:34:22 PM » Author: form109
what excactly is an Icetron?
FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: Continued: Can mercs be saved and other info... « Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 02:45:14 PM » Author: FGS
what excactly is an Ictron?

He meant Icetron. ;D

If I bought out a utility company and started using mercs on MH ballasts. What can happen? ???

Why I like LEDs on top of other lighting tech?
LEDs = Upgrade 95% of the applications. (That is if you avoid eBay's LEDs).

LED brainwash? No, people uses them cuz they work well for them.

TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Continued: Can mercs be saved and other info... « Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 03:11:33 PM » Author: TudorWhiz
you'll be in trouble I BET! And you can't buy probe start MH ballasts today anymore by the way....maybe except as replacements...

by the way a better pic......
GULL holding an Icetron    :P

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: Continued: Can mercs be saved and other info... « Reply #11 on: February 25, 2009, 03:55:12 PM » Author: FGS
you'll be in trouble I BET! And you can't buy probe start MH ballasts today anymore by the way....maybe except as replacements...

by the way a better pic......
GULL holding an Icetron    :P

With who? DSA? What can they do?

Did U mean that you can buy probe start MH fixtures but ballasts can be bought as replacement? I would plan to retrofit HPS lumes to merc when they fail so I will need replacement ballasts (NOT HPS ones! ;D). As for new areas I would order fixtures without ballasts and use the probe MH ballasts to install and blue nema tags. I would keep old lumes in service replacing ballasts or refractors if available.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 04:59:11 PM by FGS » Logged

TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Continued: Can mercs be saved and other info... « Reply #12 on: February 25, 2009, 09:27:48 PM » Author: TudorWhiz
Sounds like you wanna commit fraud......and get in trouble...and dude its not all Dark sky dude.....its the government and other groups.......I keep telling you all guys its not ALL dark sky's actions......

FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: Continued: Can mercs be saved and other info... « Reply #13 on: February 25, 2009, 11:53:40 PM » Author: FGS
I know it's not only DSA. The list is probably way too long to list here. Who was the biggest player in the merc ballast ban?

Not fraud if I use the familiar blue NEMA tags on the streetlights or the remote ballast (Might use a weather tight disconnect box for the ballast. Gonna lock it with the funny lock the utilities uses for meter panel.) for older fixtures like the OV-20 or the Form-400. (Top quality so they won't whiten and people think it's MH.)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 11:57:26 PM by FGS » Logged

TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Continued: Can mercs be saved and other info... « Reply #14 on: February 26, 2009, 01:15:47 AM » Author: TudorWhiz
I know it's not only DSA. The list is probably way too long to list here. Who was the biggest player in the merc ballast ban?

Not fraud if I use the familiar blue NEMA tags on the streetlights or the remote ballast (Might use a weather tight disconnect box for the ballast. Gonna lock it with the funny lock the utilities uses for meter panel.) for older fixtures like the OV-20 or the Form-400. (Top quality so they won't whiten and people think it's MH.)

We will see what Geoff and Steve says....but I see yer a criminal!  :o a law breaker!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies