Author Topic: 50 year guaranteed electronic ballast?!  (Read 5219 times)
Kev

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 50 year guaranteed electronic ballast?! « Reply #15 on: January 20, 2011, 04:49:40 PM » Author: Kev
Um 50 years ay? I don't think so! Maybe 50 years at 1 hour a week! And at Dor123 i have ballasts in the schools shops and fire stations that are approaching 50 years easily and some older! I'm pretty sure that the ballasts diesel nut has in his shop are coming up to 50 years. There is no way electronic would do that. I would love to stick one of these in a shop where it does 13-14 Hrs a day in hot conditions and just wait for the in evertable!

Voted to leave the EU and proud! 👉🏻🇪🇺🇬🇧

DieselNut

View Posts
View Gallery

John

jonathon.graves johng917 GeorgiaJohn
Re: 50 year guaranteed electronic ballast?! « Reply #16 on: January 31, 2011, 08:43:15 PM » Author: DieselNut
@kevxsi16v, many of the ballasts in my good old lights are more like 60 years old!  I would love to see the POS advertised by these scam artists do that!  Aint no way!!

Preheat Fluorescents forever!
I love diesel engines, rural/farm life and vintage lighting!

nogden

View Posts
View Gallery

Nelson Ogden

nelson.ogden w8nwo
Re: 50 year guaranteed electronic ballast?! « Reply #17 on: February 01, 2011, 08:04:51 PM » Author: nogden
Let me take this a little different direction. What would it take to engineer a HF ballast that could last 50 years? Is it possible? I have radio equipment that is 50 years old and has never been repaired.
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: 50 year guaranteed electronic ballast?! « Reply #18 on: February 01, 2011, 11:56:59 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
I think it truly could be done, but it would require:
Quality components (capacitors/transistors/etc).
Not driving those components to their absolute max ratings.
Good heatsink/cooling design.
Some form of protection in the case of bad wiring/lamps/overheating.

Pretty much it couldn't be some cheap thing built at the lowest possible cost LOL

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Kev

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 50 year guaranteed electronic ballast?! « Reply #19 on: February 02, 2011, 07:30:31 PM » Author: Kev
I think a lot of the problem is the fact they churn so many out so quickly! The simply can not make them that good so quickly!

Voted to leave the EU and proud! 👉🏻🇪🇺🇬🇧

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 50 year guaranteed electronic ballast?! « Reply #20 on: February 03, 2011, 03:32:50 PM » Author: Medved
The difference to the old radio is, then at first the radio does not have to handle so large power and as second, then the radio does not operate so many hours as the lighting equipment does (do not tell me, then e.g. the volume pot or loudspeaker survived 60 years of daily use...).
So when making ballasts like radios, majority would be dead after a year of service, when they encounter the number of hours typical radio does for decade of useful life...

No more selfballasted c***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies