Author Topic: 50 year guaranteed electronic ballast?!  (Read 5220 times)
DieselNut

View Posts
View Gallery

John

jonathon.graves johng917 GeorgiaJohn
50 year guaranteed electronic ballast?! « on: November 18, 2010, 09:56:44 AM » Author: DieselNut
These guys came by our shop.  I gave em H3LL about their products, just to test their knowledge.  They ended up saying "You know a lot more about lighting than the average person"  ;D
I still can't believe ANY electronic fluorescent ballast will last 50 years?!  I may get a couple to test and give em some torture tests with EOL lamps!!  ;D
They said these are full power ballasts and will fully run a lamp it is designed to run.  Their "Alpinewite" lamps do seem to be NICE and BRIGHT!

http://www.durotestcanada.ca/product_line/ballasts.htm
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 10:13:00 AM by DieselNut » Logged

Preheat Fluorescents forever!
I love diesel engines, rural/farm life and vintage lighting!

RCM442
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

rcm442 UC1Q-wYhi9O-1q4ugOaOZ9dA rcm442
Re: 50 year guaranteed electronic ballast?! « Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 02:49:31 PM » Author: RCM442
what happens if one gets hit by a 3 or 400 volt surge! it won't work anymore then! I may have to get some, seeing as how they are duro test!

LEDs need to stop taking over everything
Administrator #4
Need help with something on the site? Let me know!

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: 50 year guaranteed electronic ballast?! « Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 09:02:46 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
:o Interesting..
I see there is a '30' and '50' year model.
I Wonder if the F40 version is rapid start?
Biggie would be how the price compares to a standard 'cheap' electronic ballast and if it'll truly last even 30 years

LOL would be cool to get a couple for testing
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 11:52:16 PM by xmaslightguy » Logged

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

DieselNut

View Posts
View Gallery

John

Re: 50 year guaranteed electronic ballast?! « Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 10:03:12 PM » Author: DieselNut
I was TOTALLY FLOORED when talking to these guys when they said that!  Looking at their website, it does look like they have addressed some of the common issues associated with electronic ballasts.  It would be interesting to test some.  I may get a couple of the T12 ones to test and maybe even a T8.  It would be fun to give em H E L L with some EOL lamps and see how well they hold up.  Would also be interesting to see how well they fully power a F40T12.  Their lamps are nice and hopefully the ballasts will be too!  I am still curious as to how they can warranty these for 50 years?!  They MUST have some sort of EOL protection, and protection from the spikes, as RCM442 says.

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: 50 year guaranteed electronic ballast?! « Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 11:55:57 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
If you do get some, deff post what you think of 'em / test results / etc LOL
If these really are good i'd be interested in getting one (LOL didn't see anything on eBay tonight, but might have to setup a watch)

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

icefoglights

View Posts
View Gallery

ITT Low Pressure Sodium NEMA

GoL
Re: 50 year guaranteed electronic ballast?! « Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 12:41:20 AM » Author: icefoglights
I looked at the specs on these.  They are still not full power ballasts.  For T12 bipin and slimline lamps the ballast factor for them is .85.  For T8 bipin and slimline lamps, the ballast factor is .88 (common to most T8 ballasts).  Their HO ballasts have the highest ballast factor at .89. 

For comparison, an Advance Mark 3 has a ballast factor of .95 and a BenchLite has a ballast factor of about .70.

01010010 01101111 01100010 01100101 01110010 01110100

Lampwizard

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 50 year guaranteed electronic ballast?! « Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 04:00:03 AM » Author: Lampwizard
"50 years" is a commercial number without much significance. What do they guarantee? And how is MTBF calculated? Does it include elcap lifetine calculation? Does it mean that 1% of the ballast population is still functioning? Or 10%? Or is the shelf life 50 years? And are replacement costs included? And who still has the proof of purchase after 50 years? What fixture will be in use anyway after 50 years? Just asking...

Philips colour 27: best fluorescent tube colour.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: 50 year guaranteed electronic ballast?! « Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 05:13:59 AM » Author: dor123
These guys came by our shop.  I gave em H3LL about their products, just to test their knowledge.  They ended up saying "You know a lot more about lighting than the average person"  ;D
I still can't believe ANY electronic fluorescent ballast will last 50 years?!  I may get a couple to test and give em some torture tests with EOL lamps!!  ;D
They said these are full power ballasts and will fully run a lamp it is designed to run.  Their "Alpinewite" lamps do seem to be NICE and BRIGHT!

http://www.durotestcanada.ca/product_line/ballasts.htm
This is a link to a fraud site. No ballast can be survived for 50 years, even not the magnetic ones. Even if unlimited guarantee for furnitures, windows, doors and other building parts exist, ballast shouldn't have so much guarantee, as this may cause the company to go bankrupt (Fewer will buy a new ballast from it in the full price).
5 years guarantee, is the standard period in Israel for magnetic and electronic ballasts.
This URL adress is 100% not the site of Durotest Canada, but of an impersonate fraud site. You have been warned!!!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 05:20:17 AM by dor123 » Logged

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

DieselNut

View Posts
View Gallery

John

Re: 50 year guaranteed electronic ballast?! « Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 10:34:47 AM » Author: DieselNut
@xmaslightguy, I was not too impressed with the sales guys, now after icefoglight's explanation of how they are really not full power, I am not too interested in them.  I will stick with my old vintage magnetic stuff unless they decide to let me test a ballast.
@lampwizard and dor123, it does seem too good to be the actual truth, but the ballast info was linked right on their own website, the same one it lists on the lamp itself: www.me-dtc.com
I really like their lamps.  Not too sure about the ballasts though.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: 50 year guaranteed electronic ballast?! « Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 11:15:22 AM » Author: dor123
@DieselNut: If the link that you gave is true, Duro-Test Canada probably misleading the consumers.
Consumer misleadings is very common in North America, and in Israel also this is common, but not as much (Samsung vast "LED TV" consumer misleading for example).
I think that an indictment will be presented against them in the courthouse for consumer claims.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: 50 year guaranteed electronic ballast?! « Reply #10 on: November 19, 2010, 11:42:42 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
@DieselNut Yep, after seeing icefoglighs post, these are less appealing... (would still be kinda cool to get 1 & compare to an old RS ballast if the cost was cheap enough LOL . maybe find a deal on ebay or something )

Would be cool to get a couple of those lamps though :)

@dor123 you'd really to see the full terms & conditions of that warranty. I'm sure they would cover themselves legally somewhere in the "fine print" LOL most warranties on electronics are pretty meaningless anyway

DieselNut

View Posts
View Gallery

John

Re: 50 year guaranteed electronic ballast?! « Reply #11 on: November 19, 2010, 02:57:29 PM » Author: DieselNut
@DieselNut Yep, after seeing icefoglighs post, these are less appealing... (would still be kinda cool to get 1 & compare to an old RS ballast if the cost was cheap enough LOL . maybe find a deal on ebay or something )

Would be cool to get a couple of those lamps though :)

@dor123 you'd really to see the full terms & conditions of that warranty. I'm sure they would cover themselves legally somewhere in the "fine print" LOL most warranties on electronics are pretty meaningless anyway
Yes, typical underdriver!  LOL
I am sure the little mice type at the bottom of the warranty disclaimer covers their @ss against just about anything and probably requires you to present the original receipt.  It probably does not cover "abuse" which they could be able to deem as ANYTHING that is out of their "norm".

Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: 50 year guaranteed electronic ballast?! « Reply #12 on: November 20, 2010, 11:44:49 AM » Author: Silverliner
I have some magnetic preheat ballasts still running after almost 70 years!

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

Luminaire

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 50 year guaranteed electronic ballast?! « Reply #13 on: November 21, 2010, 08:52:25 PM » Author: Luminaire
I visited their site and snooped around. The original Duro-Test isn't around anymore, but someone still owns the right to the brand and perhaps they're licensee too.  Duro-test was well known for making unfounded claims and they did get in some trouble with the FTC.  

This company is HEAVILY focused on marketing. What they have is nothing special, but they are counting on ignorance and power of persuasion.  Look at their career opportunities.  That's right... sales reps. The compensation scheme seems similar to Herbalife, Primerica, etc. "unlimited earning potentials".

They seem to be highly obsessed with capitalizing the Start Of Each Word And There's Something Wrong With The Use Of Punctuations.  

L.E.D's?  H.I.D's? Plurals are not possessives.  

You'll see that they don't give any true specs, but give you some questionable claims, although by marketing to primarily commercial users, they maybe escaping some of consumer protection laws. What the heck is "6040 SEEABLE lumens?"
Their 8550 (85 CRI, 5,000K)doesn't look to be anything special.  They're perhaps just generic private labeled 850 lamps. 

What are the terms of 84 month warranty?

What are the terms of 50 year electronic ballast warranty?  Ask if they will compensate replacement labor cost on ballasts.  The big three are warranted five years and they do offer parts & change-out labor on ballasts. In business, the duration of warranty is simply the matter of probability of claims and cost of addressing the claim.  If they have some extremely cheap ballasts and sole remedy is parts replacement and they implement policies that discourage claims (i.e. return failed ballast, freight prepaid, along with $5 handling cost for each ballast to company) and they overprice it, they're not losing much money.  

« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 08:57:36 PM by Luminaire » Logged
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 50 year guaranteed electronic ballast?! « Reply #14 on: November 22, 2010, 12:56:14 AM » Author: Medved
@Luminaire: I had similar feeling after reading their first few claims, but didn't had time to read their pages in detail to confirm it...

No more selfballasted c***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies