Author Topic: Alkaline and NiMH batteries in LED flashlights  (Read 4202 times)
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Alkaline and NiMH batteries in LED flashlights « on: November 19, 2010, 03:23:59 AM » Author: dor123
I have noted that primary Alkaline batteries are 1.5V and the chargeable NiMH batteries (Includes the new GP Recyko+) are 1.2V.
Is this means that using the chargeable NiMH batteries instead of Alkaline in a LED flashlight, can improve the LEDs life in the flashlight because the input voltage is lower?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 09:34:03 AM by dor123 » Logged

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Alkaline and NiMH batteries in LED flashlights « Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 03:42:09 PM » Author: Medved
Depend on the used driver circuit and the exact alkaline design, but it may be worse.

Alkalines have higher open circuit voltage (so the initial LED current may be higher), but they have mostly higher internal resistance then NiCd or NiMh. This higher resistance play an important role in thermal stability of the LED's:
As any semiconductor diode (so include LED) forward voltage decrease with higher temperature, the setup tend to be unstable with the lower impedance voltage source (higher temperature cause lower diode drop, what force more voltage on serial resistance elements, what increase the current, what increase the power dissipation, what increase the temperature further,...).
So here the higher internal resistance make the above explained feedback weaker, so the setup would be less prone to thermal instabilities and runaways.

No more selfballasted c***

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Alkaline and NiMH batteries in LED flashlights « Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 06:13:53 AM » Author: dor123
So if i uses GP Recyko+ chargable NiMH 1.2V batteries for example in a regular LED flashlight that uses alkaline 1.5V flashlight, i may likely to short the flashlight's LEDs life?
Also, if i using of GP Recyko+ chargable NiMH 1.2V batteries in an alkaline operated laser pointer, i may likely to short the lifetime or even distroy the laser diode of the pointer?
Edit: GP Recyko+ aren't standard NiMH cells, but low self-discharge (LSD) NiMH cells.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 07:44:40 AM by dor123 » Logged

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

SeanB~1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Alkaline and NiMH batteries in LED flashlights « Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 11:38:28 AM » Author: SeanB~1
So basically the best cells to buy for a LED flashlight are the cheapest Chr@p that you can buy in bulk, as they have such a high internal resistance that they will make the lamps last. Probably the entire box costs as much as a single branded cell.....
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies