Author Topic: Ever experience space issues?  (Read 5520 times)
Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Ever experience space issues? « on: January 12, 2007, 02:26:51 PM » Author: Silverliner
Anyone ever experience space issues as their lamp and street light collections grow? For me, my capacity was pretty much exceeded by cramming 10,000 bulbs in a tiny 1 car garage and having to keep most of the street lights outside since there's no room inside! Fortunately I'm moving to a larger place very soon.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

AE125Series
Re: Ever experience space issues? « Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 02:42:00 PM » Author: AE125Series
I'm also experiencing the same thing too. I got kicked out of my old house and recently had to move back in with my parents and there's really no space for my lights other than the garage. Hopefully I will be able to move out pretty soon and find a place of my own and have enough room in my basement to store my lights.
Santaarnpaal

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Ever experience space issues? « Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 05:46:33 PM » Author: Santaarnpaal
Space problems do not talk about it.

I live in a appartment with three rooms and a basement half way under the ground. I have more that 90 lanterns so space is a really problem for me but not that serious to stop collecting. Most lanterns are in the basement and i on of the rooms displayed on racks.
prawnman88

View Posts
View Gallery

my old friend proteus the prawn!

Re: Ever experience space issues? « Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 09:46:41 PM » Author: prawnman88
well my sotrage closet out back is full and my den has 4 fixtures on the floor so yes slowly there taking over my house also atleast 3 of them went up and are in use at my moms house for security use
Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: Ever experience space issues? « Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 06:11:35 PM » Author: Silverliner
I recently moved down here and imagine a personal collection taking half of the mover's truck? My collection did! The place where we live in now do not have a yard, just a small patio area. Lots of my collection is in the garage and all the streetlights are just sitting there, collecting dust. Hopefully this summer I'll get a bigger place.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

dp
Re: Ever experience space issues? « Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 01:34:21 PM » Author: dp
My collection tends to take up some space! Today I found a SOX lamp hiding behind my computer, another SOX hiding under the bed and a HPS\SON lamp hiding behind my TV unit! I can never remeber putting them there but having younger relations, maybe they are putting them there as a joke  ???
thelightingman

View Posts
View Gallery
All lighting except LED rules!

Re: Ever experience space issues? « Reply #6 on: April 30, 2021, 02:32:56 AM » Author: thelightingman
Talk about space issues! I don't have much space as is from my fan collection so I have to stick my fluorescent and HID lights in a storage unit.

I think HPS, MV, and MH rule! :mv: :mvc: :hps: :emh: Ban LED instead! :eoled:

HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Ever experience space issues? « Reply #7 on: April 30, 2021, 09:16:48 AM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
Not really. My collection is large but not large enough to fill an entire room.  I probably have around 500 bulbs. And 100 tubes.

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Ever experience space issues? « Reply #8 on: April 30, 2021, 11:59:07 AM » Author: Rommie
All the time. We have no more available cupboard space, there are lamps everywhere, on every flat surface including the floor  :poof:  :mrg:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

RadxD461

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Ever experience space issues? « Reply #9 on: April 30, 2021, 04:45:41 PM » Author: RadxD461
I experienced space issues all the time! but I found a pretty unique way of storing my lanterns and lamps.
James

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Ever experience space issues? « Reply #10 on: April 30, 2021, 05:21:37 PM » Author: James
This is the perennial problem of the collector!  Long ago I discovered that there was a direct analogy between the theories of gases, and collecting.  In the same way that materials in the gaseous state will automatically expand to occupy the full volume that is available to them, the same has been true of my collection.  It grows to meet the limits of the space available and then slows down - until I might be able to find more space and then nothing can prevent it growing again!  It seems that for many people who are equally badly organised as me, the same also applies to work - very succinctly described by Parkinson's Law : work expands to fill the entire volume of time available!  If I am given a deadline to finish something, it is invariably not completed until midnight the day before :)  Unfortunately in the modern world it seems that the same also applies to bureacracy.  Without harsh actions, the number of people employed in bureacratic jobs within an organisation will continually increase at the average rate of 5-7% per year, irrespective of any change in the actual amount of work to be done (if any).
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Ever experience space issues? « Reply #11 on: April 30, 2021, 05:36:28 PM » Author: Rommie
An interesting analogy, James. Sadly, our collection has not only expanded to fill all the available space, it has not slowed down either, and so all the non-available space is being filled as well..! There are lamps in cupboards, bedside chests of drawers, bookshelves, dining tables, and we haven't seen the sofa in months  :poof:  :mrg:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: Ever experience space issues? « Reply #12 on: April 30, 2021, 05:39:45 PM » Author: Bulbman256
very succinctly described by Parkinson's Law : work expands to fill the entire volume of time available!  If I am given a deadline to finish something, it is invariably not completed until midnight the day before :) 

Gee that seems awfully familiar to me! :mrg: :poof:

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

James

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Ever experience space issues? « Reply #13 on: April 30, 2021, 05:44:30 PM » Author: James
An interesting analogy, James. Sadly, our collection has not only expanded to fill all the available space, it has not slowed down either, and so all the non-available space is being filled as well..! There are lamps in cupboards, bedside chests of drawers, bookshelves, dining tables, and we haven't seen the sofa in months  :poof:  :mrg:

Ria, you have to think of your collection like a gas : it only slows down once ALL the non-available space is also filled!  You should see inside Dave's impressive garage, then that is maybe getting close to the limit :-)
Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Ever experience space issues? « Reply #14 on: April 30, 2021, 10:34:28 PM » Author: Lumex120
If collections behave like a gas I must have managed to keep mine from sublimating as I've never needed more space than the corner I started it in 6 years ago. Although with me getting more cobraheads I'm starting to wonder if it's going to be an issue in the future.

Unofficial LG Discord

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies