Author Topic: clear vs coated merc lamps whats your favorite?  (Read 4710 times)
prawnman88

View Posts
View Gallery

my old friend proteus the prawn!

clear vs coated merc lamps whats your favorite? « on: January 16, 2007, 08:07:11 PM » Author: prawnman88
i like the clear ones since i think the first lamps to be made were clear in the merc family atleast in street light wise  but everything today is coated except for what i have at my moms house
mr_big
Re: clear vs coated merc lamps whats your favorite? « Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 08:15:19 PM » Author: mr_big
I like the clear ones as well as long as they aren't chinese the only ones that arent chinese are the GE's and sometimes Iwasaki
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 12:24:08 AM by mr_big » Logged
TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: clear vs coated merc lamps whats your favorite? « Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 08:59:21 PM » Author: TudorWhiz
Go to New Jersey.....then you will be in the Clear Merc world!!!! that is why I LOVE going to New Jeresy at night.....see my New Jersey Pictures!

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Administrator of Galleryoflights.org

dp
Re: clear vs coated merc lamps whats your favorite? « Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 09:45:16 PM » Author: dp
I like the coated mercury lamps better.
dp
Re: clear vs coated merc lamps whats your favorite? « Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 11:02:59 PM » Author: dp
Coated mercury lamps for me. Well, phosphored ones like the Philips HPL-N ones, that is the ones I use for mercury fixtures, as well as Philips ballasts
TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: clear vs coated merc lamps whats your favorite? « Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 12:19:51 AM » Author: TudorWhiz
But ain't the greenish color beautiful....think first...look here.....three of the thoudsands and thousands, maybe a million, of those clear mercs streetlights in New Jeresy....

Let me tell ya guys...someone told me clear mercs were the 2nd easiest from LPS to filter out the light pollution for star gazers!!!! So Arizona should be full of Clear mercs and LPS!!!! so should other places too!!!!

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

dp
Re: clear vs coated merc lamps whats your favorite? « Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 12:26:42 AM » Author: dp
But ain't the greenish color beautiful....think first...look here.....three of the thoudsands and thousands, maybe a million, of those clear mercs streetlights in New Jeresy....

Let me tell ya guys...someone told me clear mercs were the 2nd easiest from LPS to filter out the light pollution for star gazers!!!! So Arizona should be full of Clear mercs and LPS!!!! so should other places too!!!!

I agree though Jace, they do look beautiful, I probably went with my choice because I haven't seen a clear mercury in my life. Only coated\phosphored kinds although you do get clear lamps here, I haven't seen one yet, but I hope to get one someday and try it out in my Z5699 post top lantern, depending on the wattage as it is a 125w Mercury maximum.
Augustine

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: clear vs coated merc lamps whats your favorite? « Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 03:33:43 AM » Author: Augustine
I'd love to actually see an uncoated Hg lamp, I'm not sure that I ever have.  I have a feeling I'd prefer the uncoated Hg lamps, but can't say for sure unless I get a chance to see one.
TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: clear vs coated merc lamps whats your favorite? « Reply #8 on: January 17, 2007, 03:42:21 PM » Author: TudorWhiz
there's one negative thing about clear mercs....if you go under a lit clear merc...it makes YOU look like a ZOMBIE....it makes your skin, hands green.....and your scars or pimples or whatever will be more easily seen....

Santaarnpaal

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: clear vs coated merc lamps whats your favorite? « Reply #9 on: January 17, 2007, 05:40:48 PM » Author: Santaarnpaal
I have never seen an uncoated mercury vapor lamp in my life so i cannot jugde. The coated ones i know and i like them and it is a pity that they are disappearing.
Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: clear vs coated merc lamps whats your favorite? « Reply #10 on: January 19, 2007, 06:07:00 PM » Author: Silverliner
I like clear mercs! I have childhood memories of clear merc lamps on the California freeways. I also like /DX, I just like clears a little more. Sadly there are NO freeway mercs left in the Bay Area region of California. However I recently moved to Southern California and there are quite a few mercs around, both on the freeways and city streets. The mercs with glaresheilds on the freeways around here bring back nice memories.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

form109
Re: clear vs coated merc lamps whats your favorite? « Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 09:15:43 PM » Author: form109
i like clear alot too!!!...though i use Deluxe White lamps where i need the added output and Color rendering,they mimic Cool White Flouros!
Mercury Man

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: clear vs coated merc lamps whats your favorite? « Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 09:25:40 PM » Author: Mercury Man
Clear mercs are the best.  I love that greenish glow, I love how grass and trees look when lit by them, and I love how people look like zombies underneath them!  I also think that the color rendering is pretty good, especially at night, when it is hard to see while driving.  HPS causes me to have eye fatigue! 
lite_lover

View Posts
View Gallery

Darren

GoL darren.harward
Re: clear vs coated merc lamps whats your favorite? « Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 11:42:34 PM » Author: lite_lover
I like the clear mercs more as well.

The brighter the better.

lightman64

View Posts
View Gallery

Zero 88 Lighting Controls Rule!

Re: clear vs coated merc lamps whats your favorite? « Reply #14 on: February 24, 2009, 06:12:33 PM » Author: lightman64
It depends. Some fixtures look better with coated and some with clear. My personal favorite is clear.

The future of street lighting is Induction, not nasty HPS lights or cr@ppy LED lights!
Preheat CFL's should make a comeback!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies