Author Topic: Does Anybody Else Here Anthropomorphize Lights?  (Read 51422 times)
LightsoftheWest
Member
*****
Offline

Gender: Male
View Posts
View Gallery

SRP for life.


streetlightian
Re: Does Anybody Else Here Anthropomorphize Lights? « Reply #15 on: July 26, 2026, 07:23:28 PM » Author: LightsoftheWest
@Maxim - That's exactly what I want to do with my mechanical engineering degree once I finish college. Working for Acuity Brands or maybe some smaller manufacturer like Evluma.

All of Evluma's R&D is local to me at home, but all of their manufacturing is in Hermosillo, Mexico.

But you'd be correct in that most American manufacturing is located either in the Midwest or in the South.
Logged

LG's North American luminaire identification specialist

**If anyone wants to learn more about any company or product you've never heard of before, do please leave a comment saying so on one of my gallery pictures or by PM, and I'd be happy to give a thorough explanation.**

Maxim
Member
*****
Offline

Gender: Male
View Posts
View Gallery

Boiler Up, Hammer Down!


Re: Does Anybody Else Here Anthropomorphize Lights? « Reply #16 on: July 26, 2026, 09:49:24 PM » Author: Maxim
Interesting... down the same path, eh?  :mrg: ;D
What started off as a harmless little hobby in the early spring of my freshman year in high school...    8;)
Logged

Sometimes it just takes a little bit of time and a concerted effort to learn something new. Don't give up before you get where you want to go.

Omnilight37
Member
**
Offline

Gender: Male
View Posts
View Gallery

Keep Shining


Re: Does Anybody Else Here Anthropomorphize Lights? « Reply #17 on: July 26, 2026, 11:14:05 PM » Author: Omnilight37
 @Maxim Very nice! What do you hope to innovate?
Logged

*Getting Brighter by the Day!*

I'm an avid lighting enthusiast who works with and studies ballasts, ignitors and lighting optics while identifying various models and manufacturers of electric lighting. I am actively studying particle physics and seek to understand the mechanics of a photon.

Omnilight37
Member
**
Offline

Gender: Male
View Posts
View Gallery

Keep Shining


Re: Does Anybody Else Here Anthropomorphize Lights? « Reply #18 on: July 26, 2026, 11:15:13 PM » Author: Omnilight37
@Econolite03 Interesting, what do you hope to do in Civil engineering?
Logged

*Getting Brighter by the Day!*

I'm an avid lighting enthusiast who works with and studies ballasts, ignitors and lighting optics while identifying various models and manufacturers of electric lighting. I am actively studying particle physics and seek to understand the mechanics of a photon.

Omnilight37
Member
**
Offline

Gender: Male
View Posts
View Gallery

Keep Shining


Re: Does Anybody Else Here Anthropomorphize Lights? « Reply #19 on: July 26, 2026, 11:17:32 PM » Author: Omnilight37
 @LightsoftheWest  8) I'm curious, since you specialize so much in North American lighting, what's your favorite fixture of all time? Also, how do you know your stuff so well? I asked you a question about a post top luminaire and you instantly identified it as an ANP LF0962- how do you identify it so precisely and accurately?
Logged

*Getting Brighter by the Day!*

I'm an avid lighting enthusiast who works with and studies ballasts, ignitors and lighting optics while identifying various models and manufacturers of electric lighting. I am actively studying particle physics and seek to understand the mechanics of a photon.

Maxim
Member
*****
Offline

Gender: Male
View Posts
View Gallery

Boiler Up, Hammer Down!


Re: Does Anybody Else Here Anthropomorphize Lights? « Reply #20 on: July 27, 2026, 12:23:24 AM » Author: Maxim
@Maxim Very nice! What do you hope to innovate?
Probably their lighting fixture division in some meaningful way. Likely as a manufacturing engineer, or otherwise a design engineer for new-release products.
Not certain quite yet.
Logged

Sometimes it just takes a little bit of time and a concerted effort to learn something new. Don't give up before you get where you want to go.

Econolite03
Member
*****
Offline

Gender: Male
View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.


WWW
Re: Does Anybody Else Here Anthropomorphize Lights? « Reply #21 on: July 27, 2026, 02:36:28 AM » Author: Econolite03
@Econolite03 Interesting, what do you hope to do in Civil engineering?
Public works projects, such as streets/highways.
Logged

All Hail the GE M-400

LightsoftheWest
Member
*****
Offline

Gender: Male
View Posts
View Gallery

SRP for life.


streetlightian
Re: Does Anybody Else Here Anthropomorphize Lights? « Reply #22 on: July 27, 2026, 09:45:01 PM » Author: LightsoftheWest
@LightsoftheWest  8) I'm curious, since you specialize so much in North American lighting, what's your favorite fixture of all time? Also, how do you know your stuff so well? I asked you a question about a post top luminaire and you instantly identified it as an ANP LF0962- how do you identify it so precisely and accurately?
That's a hard question. :wndr: The NLS Lighting NV Series and the Sterner Lighting Executive are definitely my top two favorites.

I comb the internet for interesting looking catalogs and brochures and save what I can find to my hard drive; Scribd is my #1 resource for vintage luminaire catalogs, though.

Sometimes I look around the area for other luminaires to see whether or not they're the same brand; that's one of my strategies for identifying unknown fixtures.

As a guide, I've made a list of outdoor luminaire manufacturers for the North American market in this thread.
Logged

LG's North American luminaire identification specialist

**If anyone wants to learn more about any company or product you've never heard of before, do please leave a comment saying so on one of my gallery pictures or by PM, and I'd be happy to give a thorough explanation.**

Omnilight37
Member
**
Offline

Gender: Male
View Posts
View Gallery

Keep Shining


Re: Does Anybody Else Here Anthropomorphize Lights? « Reply #23 on: July 28, 2026, 07:19:59 PM » Author: Omnilight37
Probably their lighting fixture division in some meaningful way. Likely as a manufacturing engineer, or otherwise a design engineer for new-release products.
Not certain quite yet.
   :eoled: I plan to perform significant R&D into designing the next generation of LED cobra heads which act as a counter balance to planned obsolescence in the modern lighting industry. I have a vision of creating LED cobra heads that can have diode swap replacement on a single fixture for tens of decades. Just like on a GE M-400 you swap Lucaloxes out every few years but you keep the fixture for decades, I hope to design LED cobra heads that last for centuries but their diode replacements will be required every 20 years. However, the future may not be LED.
Logged

*Getting Brighter by the Day!*

I'm an avid lighting enthusiast who works with and studies ballasts, ignitors and lighting optics while identifying various models and manufacturers of electric lighting. I am actively studying particle physics and seek to understand the mechanics of a photon.

Omnilight37
Member
**
Offline

Gender: Male
View Posts
View Gallery

Keep Shining


Re: Does Anybody Else Here Anthropomorphize Lights? « Reply #24 on: July 28, 2026, 07:36:23 PM » Author: Omnilight37
That's a hard question. :wndr: The NLS Lighting NV Series and the Sterner Lighting Executive are definitely my top two favorites.

I comb the internet for interesting looking catalogs and brochures and save what I can find to my hard drive; Scribd is my #1 resource for vintage luminaire catalogs, though.

Sometimes I look around the area for other luminaires to see whether or not they're the same brand; that's one of my strategies for identifying unknown fixtures.

As a guide, I've made a list of outdoor luminaire manufacturers for the North American market in this thread.

 That's a nice cool and sharp selection you got there! The Lithonia DSX2 is definitely my favorite LED parking lot luminaire, I even nicknamed it 'Friction'. As a night time driver, the Holophane HMAO LED III definitely makes me feel the safest on the road. I also love the Gardco Gullwing G18, the Lithonia KAD Contour and the Spaulding Cimarron as my top three picks for old school HID shoeboxes.
Logged

*Getting Brighter by the Day!*

I'm an avid lighting enthusiast who works with and studies ballasts, ignitors and lighting optics while identifying various models and manufacturers of electric lighting. I am actively studying particle physics and seek to understand the mechanics of a photon.

Maxim
Member
*****
Offline

Gender: Male
View Posts
View Gallery

Boiler Up, Hammer Down!


Re: Does Anybody Else Here Anthropomorphize Lights? « Reply #25 on: July 28, 2026, 07:58:12 PM » Author: Maxim
@Omnilight37 — I get exactly what you are going for. :)

Also- the DSX2 is nice, but in my opinion, the Signify/GARDCO EcoForm or PureForm are the best-looking LED area lights.
Logged

Sometimes it just takes a little bit of time and a concerted effort to learn something new. Don't give up before you get where you want to go.

LightsoftheWest
Member
*****
Offline

Gender: Male
View Posts
View Gallery

SRP for life.


streetlightian
Re: Does Anybody Else Here Anthropomorphize Lights? « Reply #26 on: July 28, 2026, 10:38:48 PM » Author: LightsoftheWest
I also really like the look of the U.S. Architectural Lighting Razar.
Logged

LG's North American luminaire identification specialist

**If anyone wants to learn more about any company or product you've never heard of before, do please leave a comment saying so on one of my gallery pictures or by PM, and I'd be happy to give a thorough explanation.**

joseph_125
Member
*****
Offline

Gender: Male
View Posts
View Gallery


GoL
Re: Does Anybody Else Here Anthropomorphize Lights? « Reply #27 on: July 29, 2026, 11:34:50 PM » Author: joseph_125
I believe the local Acuity Brands office is mostly sales and warehousing but I believe there is some limited R & D there as I saw some postings for engineering positions. Acuity does have some manufacturing in Canada, not as much as 25 years ago when they made fluorescent luminaires here but I believe Cyclone in Montreal still has some manufacturing.

As for other companies, Visioneering/Viscor is a main one that makes commercial and industrial fluorescent and LED luminaires. Previously independent, they were acquired by Leviton a few years ago but I believe their R & D and manufacturing is still in Toronto. RAB Canada also has their R & D in Toronto although they manufacture overseas. Econolite Canada also has an office in the Toronto area and I believe they do some manufacturing locally. I believe the poly signal heads and the cabinets are assembled locally.   

Lumec also has Canadian R & D, with their offices located Quebec.
Logged
Omnilight37
Member
**
Offline

Gender: Male
View Posts
View Gallery

Keep Shining


Re: Does Anybody Else Here Anthropomorphize Lights? « Reply #28 on: August 02, 2026, 06:15:34 PM » Author: Omnilight37
 @joseph_125  Interesting! Do you know why Acuity manufactures less in Canada nowdays?
Logged

*Getting Brighter by the Day!*

I'm an avid lighting enthusiast who works with and studies ballasts, ignitors and lighting optics while identifying various models and manufacturers of electric lighting. I am actively studying particle physics and seek to understand the mechanics of a photon.

joseph_125
Member
*****
Offline

Gender: Male
View Posts
View Gallery


GoL
Re: Does Anybody Else Here Anthropomorphize Lights? « Reply #29 on: August 03, 2026, 09:38:46 AM » Author: joseph_125
I suppose their manufacturing base in Mexico is enough to cover their entry level to mid range products and the American manufacturing hubs is enough to cover the mid range to high end lines so the Canadian line became redundant. I'm not sure when exactly did fluorescent luminaire production move from Canada to Mexico for the entry level products but it was probably sometime in the 2000s.

Unfortunately this was the case with a lot of US based manufacturers with Canadian subsidiaries, 30+ years ago companies like GE, Westinghouse, Line Material, Sylvania, Philips, Cooper, Lithonia, and McGraw Edison all had Canadian subsidiaries that manufactured lighting products for the Canadian market. This included finall assembly but some manufacturers had Canadian specific castings as well. This started to decline by the 1990s and by the 2000s a lot of those subsidiaries ceased manufacturing and were just offices and warehouses that imported lights. The cost cutting of that era, and also the free trade act and later NAFTA probably made it more attractive to shut the Canadian plants down, especially when you consider the low population density of Canada making distribution expensive, Canada's population is similar to that of California but in a area much larger in size.   
Logged
Print 
© 2005-2026 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies