Author Topic: Old Ballasts -Request Assistance  (Read 9562 times)
Jhern1975
Old Ballasts -Request Assistance « on: February 14, 2011, 02:27:43 PM » Author: Jhern1975
Hello Group,
I need Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS)or product info. for the following Ballasts

1) General Electric CO Cat no. 7G1020A
2) Universal Therm-o-matic Co Cat no. 446-L-TC-P
3) Light Master Co Cat no: D40 TL-P

Thank you for the help in advance,
J. Hernandez
Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: Old Ballasts -Request Assistance « Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 02:41:36 PM » Author: Silverliner
Often, MSDS information is available on the manufacturers' websites. If you can't find anything I suggest contacting the manufacturers directly. Hope this helps!

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

Jhern1975
Re: Old Ballasts -Request Assistance « Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 03:16:05 PM » Author: Jhern1975
Yes I tried that. No information on websites. With the exception of GE I think those companies might be out of business.
Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: Old Ballasts -Request Assistance « Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 03:39:06 PM » Author: Silverliner
Univsersal is still in business here's their website: http://www.unvlt.com

Never heard of Light Master so maybe they are no more.

I assume you are trying to determine if the ballasts contain PCBs? Remember all ballasts from January 1979 have no PCBs. It should be labelled as such on the ballast labels. If not and its a high power factor ballast it most likely has PCBs. Some GE ballasts from late '77 and '78 don't have PCBs. The ballast code will have the W letter if it has no PCBs.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

Jhern1975
Re: Old Ballasts -Request Assistance « Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 04:43:04 PM » Author: Jhern1975
Thanks for info. Yes that is what I am trying to determine. These ballasts are presumably prior to '79. 
Jhern1975
Re: Old Ballasts -Request Assistance « Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 06:14:02 PM » Author: Jhern1975
Here goes one more brand if any one has any information:
(I have already contacted Phillip and are awaiting a response)
Advance Transformer Co, Cat no RQM-2S40

Thanks
J Hernandez
don93s

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Old Ballasts -Request Assistance « Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 08:39:55 PM » Author: don93s
Here goes one more brand if any one has any information:
(I have already contacted Phillip and are awaiting a response)
Advance Transformer Co, Cat no RQM-2S40

Thanks
J Hernandez

Advance ballasts should have a three digit code stamped on the back...first digit is month and last two are the year. Universal/Magnetek should have a letter and two-digit stamp on the back which would be month (letter code) and two digit for year.
toomanybulbs

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Old Ballasts -Request Assistance « Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 03:50:24 PM » Author: toomanybulbs
i have always assumed any prior to 1980 were pcb.
i have rebuilt a ton of photo light tables and converted to t8 electronic.
any suspected pcb ballasts were left with the customer to dispose of.
although the risk is small i have heard it is very expensive to get rid of them.not worth the risk just to get some otherwise good units.
TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Old Ballasts -Request Assistance « Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 06:45:02 PM » Author: TudorWhiz
i have always assumed any prior to 1980 were pcb.
i have rebuilt a ton of photo light tables and converted to t8 electronic.
any suspected pcb ballasts were left with the customer to dispose of.
although the risk is small i have heard it is very expensive to get rid of them.not worth the risk just to get some otherwise good units.

If I were to get anything old....I would rather get everything original though...

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Administrator of Galleryoflights.org

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Old Ballasts -Request Assistance « Reply #9 on: April 09, 2011, 03:00:15 AM » Author: Medved
@Jace: But if it finally quit, you will face expensive disposal problem, if it contain something nasty.
Commercial environment can not so easily store unneeded things due to work safety regulations (and mainly those containing some nasty stuff).
Here it is even not legal, as if something quit operation, it legally become a waste. And for storing the waste you need a license, what is quite expensive to maintain (it mean lot of buyrocracy here, loading the administrative staff)

No more selfballasted c***

toomanybulbs

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Old Ballasts -Request Assistance « Reply #10 on: April 09, 2011, 09:38:50 AM » Author: toomanybulbs
i suspect residential users just throw them in the trash at eol.most have never heard of pcb's.as a business it can be a huge expense to properly dispose of them.at least the good old vintage stuff normally does not contain pcb capacitors.only newer rapid start stuff.not that the presence of a pcb capacitor would scare me off.you would have to punch a hole in it to be exposed!
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies