Author Topic: Safe operating temp for Magnetic Ballast  (Read 216 times)
Waxsoda61774308
Member
**
Offline

Gender: Male
View Posts
View Gallery


Waxsoda61774308 fluorescentlightman3008 @Eli_afino
Safe operating temp for Magnetic Ballast « on: September 26, 2026, 06:04:13 PM » Author: Waxsoda61774308
I recently needed a bright light for a few hours and decided to take out my magneticly ballasted 400W MH fixture, with a custom ballast enclosure. After using it for a few hours, I measured the temp of the ballast and it was 168 degrees Fahrenheit. Is this too hot? I have recently added a fan to the enclosure but I wanted to see if that would have damaged it.
Logged

Ledification is the worst.

Multisubject
Member
*****
Offline

Gender: Male
View Posts
View Gallery

"The only stupid question is the one left unasked"


WWW
Re: Safe operating temp for Magnetic Ballast « Reply #1 on: September 26, 2026, 09:00:35 PM » Author: Multisubject
All of the ballasts I have also get quite hot, I feel like it's normal but I didn't measure any actual temperatures. I have a feeling this is partly due to using thinner copper/aluminum windings to save money but also partly due to the core layers being welded together on almost all ballasts, resulting in eddy currents that heat the core itself. It probably wouldn't have been damaged, but I would measure the wattage of the ballast to see if it is really high. I hear that significantly above 500W input would be not so great, though I could be wrong.
Logged

Public Lamp Spec Sheet | More Info

RRK
Member
*****
Offline

Gender: Male
View Posts
View Gallery
Roman


Re: Safe operating temp for Magnetic Ballast « Reply #2 on: September 27, 2026, 04:05:36 AM » Author: RRK
Is this too hot?

No. 168F equals to circa 76C which is rather benign for a magnetic ballast.

Caveats:

1) Modern ballasts usually have Tw and deltaT ratings for winding insulation thermal capability. That should give you an idea of maximum winding temperature allowed.
2) As you see, thermal ratings are given for winding insulation temperature. Internal temperature is somewhat higher than you measure on the ballast surface.
Logged
Medved
Member
*****
Offline

Gender: Male
View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Safe operating temp for Magnetic Ballast « Reply #3 on: Today at 12:47:18 AM » Author: Medved
The deltaT will give you ballpark what operating temperature to expect as normal (you add it to the room temperature).
If you then measure something way different, it means the power dissipation is different than expected, so something does not run normal...
Logged

No more selfballasted c***

dor123
Member
*****
Offline

Gender: Male
View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are printers/scanners/copiers, A/Cs


WWW
Re: Safe operating temp for Magnetic Ballast « Reply #4 on: Today at 01:58:27 AM » Author: dor123
I think that American ballasts don't mentions their dT.
Logged

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Laurens
Member
*****
Offline

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Safe operating temp for Magnetic Ballast « Reply #5 on: Today at 02:20:52 AM » Author: Laurens
In general, they can go 65 to 75 degrees C above ambient. So that means painfully hot.

I have figured out that a ventilated wooden or plastic box is not quite sufficient. You want to mount the ballast onto a metal sheet that acts like a heat sink, in addition to plenty of ventilation holes both on all the sides as well as in the top.
Alternatively, a fully metal enclosure is possible, which will act like one big heat sink.
Logged
SoxFtw
Member
***
Offline

Gender: Male
View Posts
View Gallery

"If it's stupid and it works, it ain't stupid."


Re: Safe operating temp for Magnetic Ballast « Reply #6 on: Today at 02:47:56 AM » Author: SoxFtw
I think that American ballasts don't mentions their dT.
Interesting, because most if not all of my ballasts have a deltaT written and even those made in china by Osram. Maybe it's an American thing.

In general, they can go 65 to 75 degrees C above ambient. So that means painfully hot. 
I've never had mine get nearly that hot, but it's possible. And rather unrelated but dual-purpose HPS/MH ballasts run cooler with MH lamps, but with HPS they get unbearably hot to the point you can't hold on for more than a second.
Logged

Survivor of photokeratitis :(

Laurens
Member
*****
Offline

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Safe operating temp for Magnetic Ballast « Reply #7 on: Today at 04:06:01 AM » Author: Laurens
My MV ballasts don't get that hot either, but some of my fluorescent ones absolutely do.
Logged
dor123
Member
*****
Offline

Gender: Male
View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are printers/scanners/copiers, A/Cs


WWW
Re: Safe operating temp for Magnetic Ballast « Reply #8 on: Today at 04:32:21 AM » Author: dor123
My Eltam L 7/9/11.514 ballast in my NISKO PL-S 9W meltlight, gets very hot, but I think less than 100*C.
Logged

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

SoxFtw
Member
***
Offline

Gender: Male
View Posts
View Gallery

"If it's stupid and it works, it ain't stupid."


Re: Safe operating temp for Magnetic Ballast « Reply #9 on: Today at 04:39:37 AM » Author: SoxFtw
I think it has to do that with the nightlight being fully enclosed and is being also heated up by the lamp running near it. Tw is 130C°/266°F so it is plenty.
Logged

Survivor of photokeratitis :(

Print 
© 2005-2026 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies