Author Topic: Soft Start Device for Incandescent Bulbs  (Read 111 times)
NeXe Lights
Member
****
Offline

Gender: Male
View Posts
View Gallery

Quality Lighting Inc. Design 114-24B


Soft Start Device for Incandescent Bulbs « on: September 30, 2026, 06:12:23 PM » Author: NeXe Lights
Recently, I've been wanting to increase the lifespan of the incandescent bulbs I use, and I know one way to do this is with a soft start device to limit the inrush current on an incandescent bulb. Does anyone know where to find these? I could not find any such products online.
Logged

Efficiency will be the death of culture.

LightsoftheWest
Member
*****
Offline

Gender: Male
View Posts
View Gallery

SRP for life.


streetlightian
Re: Soft Start Device for Incandescent Bulbs « Reply #1 on: September 30, 2026, 07:39:20 PM » Author: LightsoftheWest
You could also try finding some that are rated for 130V operation. Since they'd be slightly under driven, the lifespan would increase accordingly.
Logged

LG's North American luminaire identification specialist

**If anyone wants to learn more about any company or product you've never heard of before, do please leave a comment saying so on one of my gallery pictures or by PM, and I'd be happy to give a thorough explanation.**

NeXe Lights
Member
****
Offline

Gender: Male
View Posts
View Gallery

Quality Lighting Inc. Design 114-24B


Re: Soft Start Device for Incandescent Bulbs « Reply #2 on: September 30, 2026, 08:22:26 PM » Author: NeXe Lights
I know I could, but I already have a decent-sized stock of 120V bulbs collected over time from my local ReStore. Therefore, I'd rather spend less money on a few soft-start devices than replace nearly my entire stock of bulbs with 130V bulbs.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2026, 08:25:55 PM by NeXe Lights » Logged

Efficiency will be the death of culture.

Patrick
Webmaster
Member
*****
Offline

View Posts
View Gallery


LightingGallery
Re: Soft Start Device for Incandescent Bulbs « Reply #3 on: September 30, 2026, 11:11:42 PM » Author: Patrick
How effective are such devices?  I'd simply use a dimmer switch.
Logged

Patrick C., Administrator
Lighting-Gallery.net

joseph_125
Member
*****
Offline

Gender: Male
View Posts
View Gallery


GoL
Re: Soft Start Device for Incandescent Bulbs « Reply #4 on: September 30, 2026, 11:47:11 PM » Author: joseph_125
I'd second just using a dimmer switch. A lot of newer dimmers are programmed to soft start lamps, even if turned on at the highest setting.

Plus one of the things I like the best about incandescent is how they gradually lower in colour temperature as they are dimmed. Some LEDs attempt to emulate this behavior but at very low output incandescent is still the best.
Logged
wide-lite 1000
Member
*****
Offline

Gender: Male
View Posts
View Gallery


Re: Soft Start Device for Incandescent Bulbs « Reply #5 on: September 30, 2026, 11:53:17 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 Quick snoop on eBay found these : https://www.ebay.com/itm/158358422909  https://www.ebay.com/itm/137662182031
Logged

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

SoxFtw
Member
***
Offline

Gender: Male
View Posts
View Gallery

"If it's stupid and it works, it ain't stupid."


Re: Soft Start Device for Incandescent Bulbs « Reply #6 on: Today at 02:53:47 AM » Author: SoxFtw
As Patrick said, a dimmer is usually adequate. Or you could use a diode for three seconds then short across it, but unless you're working at a large wattage, it probably wouldn't matter too much.
Logged

Survivor of photokeratitis :(

Print 
© 2005-2026 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies