Author Topic: PUTTING 200 WATT INCANDESCENTS IN A CARDBOARD SOCKET  (Read 4145 times)
mr_big
PUTTING 200 WATT INCANDESCENTS IN A CARDBOARD SOCKET « on: January 28, 2007, 09:59:18 PM » Author: mr_big
Would putting a 200 watt incandescent bub in a cardboard lined socket result in a fire
TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: PUTTING 200 WATT INCANDESCENTS IN A CARDBOARD SOCKET « Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 10:09:04 PM » Author: TudorWhiz
better use ceramic......thats why most cardboard covered sockets are only rated up to 150 watts I believe

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Administrator of Galleryoflights.org

dp
Re: PUTTING 200 WATT INCANDESCENTS IN A CARDBOARD SOCKET « Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 02:09:04 PM » Author: dp
I have never heard of cardboard sockets. Presumably because of some of the dumb health and safety legislation we have here ::)
Semi-Comma

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: PUTTING 200 WATT INCANDESCENTS IN A CARDBOARD SOCKET « Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 10:33:59 PM » Author: Semi-Comma
If you're talkin about those regular "table lamp" lampholders which are brass with cardboard insulation, I'd say it's relatively safe up to 300 watts with the base down. I've used 300 watt lamps in em and never had a problem...wouldn't try it base-up though.  Also, from what I've seen, any medium base lampholder can handle up to 660 watts at 250 volts (I believe it's a requirement), but the heat from the device it's driving (e.g., the lamp) is a completely different factor.

Many cheap "clamp lamps" and other household fixtures have porcelain, bakelite, thermoset, or similar lampholders in them that can handle a lot of heat, but the fixtures themselves are made out of cheap junky plastic and are likely to melt. That's why manufactures place "75 watts or less" labels on them. This is the basic reason for any "x watts max" label, other than the usual 660W/250V stamping.
mr_big
Re: PUTTING 200 WATT INCANDESCENTS IN A CARDBOARD SOCKET « Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 12:34:31 AM » Author: mr_big
Thanks I never knew that so I guess the bulbs will make good security lights that's 400 watts with both bulbs right there. Any burglar that walks up to my door I flip on the lights and they go running
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 06:17:12 PM by mr_big » Logged
TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: PUTTING 200 WATT INCANDESCENTS IN A CARDBOARD SOCKET « Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 12:58:27 AM » Author: TudorWhiz
well make sure not base up cuz heat goes UP! and be sure theres no, like plastic parts or glass the breaks in heat or whatever.....

oh....you know they do make some metal clamp on lamps...I have a "60s-70s retro" style cone shape clamp on light in a more modern way that is actually new and its metal with ceramic socket!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 01:00:40 AM by TudorWhiz » Logged

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Administrator of Galleryoflights.org

Semi-Comma

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: PUTTING 200 WATT INCANDESCENTS IN A CARDBOARD SOCKET « Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 06:00:45 PM » Author: Semi-Comma
I have several modern metal 'clamp lamps' that use bakelite-like lampholders. The smaller ones say "75 watts max" and the larger ones say "150 watts max." In the case of these, the labels are really there because of the heat buildup when used base-up. The lampholders themselves can handle the heat of a 600 watt or larger lamp, but because of the reflector causing the heat to "focus" on the lampholder when base-up, well, they put that label on it. Another reason is the wiring. They don't use 200 deg. C wiring for these things, you know. ;)
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies