Author Topic: Running 50Hz ballast on 60Hz supply  (Read 18100 times)
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Running 50Hz ballast on 60Hz supply « Reply #15 on: November 14, 2015, 12:52:57 PM » Author: Medved
The problems are general, once the capacitor is a part of the ballasting.
With the series LC ballast the dominant impedance is capacitove (it is about 2x higher than the inductive reactance but the inductive get subtracted,when neglecting the magnetic saturation, the 20% frequency increase would cause the overall current increasing about 2.5x; the core saturation reduces the inductance, so the current is then not that high, but still way higher than rated)

When e.g. LPS ballast use a resonant generation of the startng voltage, the ballast would operate out of resonance, so does not elevate the voltage as required and the lamp won't start. Or it would be too close to the resonance, so the voltages and currents generated with missing lamp would be so high, the ballast would overheat once the lamp fails to strike.

Exact behavior depends on the actual ballast design, so each type needs to be really redesigned when converting to 60Hz (increasing the supply voltage for a series choke technically is a ballast redesign - the easiest one; more complex ballasts would need more complex redesign, involving e.g. capacitor recalculation,...)

And why the cap isn't on the schematic? As it is not necessary, once the low power factor is not of any problem (for all series choke ballasts the mains input current is rated without the cap anyway)

No more selfballasted c***

Men of God

View Posts
View Gallery

jiachao.wei.71 chao_813975447 UChyTpXvlQ8ZCfBPP_lJjubg chao990613
Re: Running 50Hz ballast on 60Hz supply « Reply #16 on: February 05, 2017, 10:59:07 AM » Author: Men of God
60Hz的镇流器用在50Hz的频率上,降低电压使用一点也没事。比如美国制造的118V 60Hz的镇流器在中国用变压器将220V电压降低到110V,频率50Hz保持不变,而且发热也很低。但是日本制造的100V 60Hz用110V 50Hz的电源它发热相当严重。

我不会英文,所以我用中文,请你们用翻译网站翻译我打的字!

I can't in English, so I in Chinese, please use the translation website to translate my words!

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Running 50Hz ballast on 60Hz supply « Reply #17 on: February 05, 2017, 12:57:08 PM » Author: sol
@Men of God : With all due respect, I cannot read and understand your response.
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Running 50Hz ballast on 60Hz supply « Reply #18 on: February 05, 2017, 01:09:41 PM » Author: dor123
I tried to translate his comment at Google Translate, and it seems that he is speaking Chinese and that he don't know to speak English.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Running 50Hz ballast on 60Hz supply « Reply #19 on: February 05, 2017, 02:42:47 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
All I see in his post is a bunch of ??????? 's & a few numbers

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Running 50Hz ballast on 60Hz supply « Reply #20 on: February 06, 2017, 09:14:55 AM » Author: dor123
Have you tried to translate his comment to english before reaching such a conclusion?

He say: "60Hz的镇流器用在50Hz的频率上,降低电压使用一点也没事。比如美国制造的118V 60Hz的镇流器在中国用变压器将220V电压降低到110V,频率50Hz保持不变,而且发热也很低。但是日本制造的100V 60Hz用110V 50Hz的电源它发热相当严重。 "
Chinese to English Google Translate: "60Hz ballast used in the frequency of 50Hz, reduce the voltage used is also nothing. Such as the United States-made 118V 60Hz ballast in China with a 220V voltage transformer will be reduced to 110V, frequency 50Hz remain unchanged, and the fever is also very low. But the Japanese-made 100V 60Hz with 110V 50Hz power supply it is quite serious heat."
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 09:36:28 AM by dor123 » Logged

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Running 50Hz ballast on 60Hz supply « Reply #21 on: February 06, 2017, 01:09:13 PM » Author: Ash
60Hz的镇流器用在50Hz的频率上,降低电压使用一点也没事。比如美国制造的118V 60Hz的镇流器在中国用变压器将220V电压降低到110V,频率50Hz保持不变,而且发热也很低。但是日本制造的100V 60Hz用110V 50Hz的电源它发热相当严重。

The smaller core of 60Hz magnetics is insufficient to work with 50Hz. This can be overcome to some extent by lowering the voltage. For example try to power the device at 86V = 110V - 24V (using a 110V/24V transformer and subtracting the secondary voltage from the supply)

All I see in his post is a bunch of ??????? 's & a few numbers

Which OS and browser ?

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Running 50Hz ballast on 60Hz supply « Reply #22 on: February 06, 2017, 08:05:44 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: Ash
Which OS and browser ?
Windows/FireFox

Oh and weird...it converted my line of ?'s to smilies, but his stayed as ?'s

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Running 50Hz ballast on 60Hz supply « Reply #23 on: February 07, 2017, 02:26:25 AM » Author: Ash
When the browser does not understand the encoding you see ?'s, X's, Black diamonds or the like. The forum does not know that you see ?'s, to it those are letters which are different from "?" and from each other

When you wrote ?'s they really are ?'s, and the forum automatically replaces each 3 of them with ???

That is how it appears to me : (does not appear completely correct here eitehr, the square boxes are letters that cannot be displayed because the drawing of the letter is missing in the font in which the content is showed). Maybe you can get to see it if you set manual encoding

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Running 50Hz ballast on 60Hz supply « Reply #24 on: February 07, 2017, 02:51:02 AM » Author: dor123
I see his post correctly with Chinese letters in my Firefox (Enconding automatically setted to "Western" in LG), and can Google Translate it to English.

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Running 50Hz ballast on 60Hz supply « Reply #25 on: February 07, 2017, 08:38:52 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
@Ash:
Must be a FireFox thing :lol: in any other windows programs unknown characters become little boxes.

I actually copy/pasted a group of the ?'s from his post so I guess my FireFox really did just convert them...

---
I did look at some settings in FireFox (didn't change any) and there's a whole list of languages you can add for it to use.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies