Author Topic: Phillips, just what ARE you thinking ?  (Read 2020 times)
Powell

View Posts
View Gallery

Phillips, just what ARE you thinking ? « on: June 25, 2011, 01:42:16 AM » Author: Powell
At Home Depot I found a Phillips twist CFL that said Daylight on it, and the glass was very faintly tinted BLUE, so for under $4.00 I bought it.

GRRRR!!!  It's a soft white with the blue tint on the glass. It still looks "soft white"  ??? ??? ???

Powell

NNNN!

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Phillips, just what ARE you thinking ? « Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 02:02:16 AM » Author: Medved
This world is really getting crazy. Why the heck they simply didn't use less of red component in the phosphor mix? They keep sepending lot of primary UV energy to generate the red light, only to be absorbed by the blue filter...

And these creations are legal in the "bannnig all inefficient" era...
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 02:04:14 AM by Medved » Logged

No more selfballasted c***

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Phillips, just what ARE you thinking ? « Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 02:18:53 AM » Author: Ash
Here in Israel both 2700K and real 6500K are available side-by-side. I like the 6500 K ones, and looks like most folks here like them too

I dont understand why the heck CFLs were made to simulate the color of incandescents in the first place (back to SL*), and even more dont understand the folks over the internet whining that "I bought CFLs, their color is not like incandescent, so they suck".Hey its a different type of lamp, and its to be expected to have different color

Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: Phillips, just what ARE you thinking ? « Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 04:13:41 AM » Author: Silverliner
I have one of these too, its a Natural Light lamp. Indeed a terrible product! It is supposed to stimulate the neodymium incandescent lamp but falls way short.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Phillips, just what ARE you thinking ? « Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 04:30:02 AM » Author: dor123
Ash: It is indeed that most of the CFLs in outdoor and fluorescents in kitchens are 6500K, but i think that of the rest of the home, 2700K is more common (My mother don't like daylight CFLs).
It is important to note that the reason for the daylight color of most low cost chinese generic brands CFLs, is because 6500K is the standard color at homes in China as well as in Japan.
Many people that i know, said that daylight color in the home is too cold and dull.
The color rendering of common CFLs (Not the halophosphor junks) is 85, but this means only the Ra8 value (R1-R8) and not include the R9 red color rendering. So the CRI may be very high, but the color is different than incandescent.
Powell: I think that the Philips twist CFL with a tinted blue glass you brought is maybe a fake one that actually made by a generic chinese factory and used the Philips logo illegaly (The price it too low for a brand of a large manufacturer made in China [$4=~14NIS!!! similar to no name generic CFLs])(If the brand that printed on your CFL is truly phiLLips as ypu wrote (Double L) and not phiLips (Single L, The real name of the manufacturer), so i bet that this is a low cost unknown brand lamp).
I also encountered this phenomenon with my Hyundai ECO Buglite CFL. It was turned out to be a cool white 4000K lamp inside a yellow plastic A shaped cover, results in a 2500K warm white color for the net light, instead of yellow color.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

MetalHalideHater

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Phillips, just what ARE you thinking ? « Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 05:57:44 AM » Author: MetalHalideHater
My Philips daylight Twist uses phospors and has the usual pure white colour phospor coating.
Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: Phillips, just what ARE you thinking ? « Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 06:20:28 AM » Author: Silverliner
@dor123, this is indeed a Philips product as it was bought at Home Depot and they sell plenty of Philips lamps. But some of the CFLs are supplied by TCP for Philips, including the Natural Light lamp.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Phillips, just what ARE you thinking ? « Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 06:50:37 AM » Author: dor123
Dave, Ahh.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

kai

View Posts
View Gallery

Philips "Natural Light" « Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011, 08:42:00 AM » Author: kai
My first reaction when reading this was disbelief, but yes, this brochure (PDF file) shows them, referring to the "distinctive blue coating". And the catalogue (another PDF file) reveals that these lamps, apparently made in 14 watts only, indeed have 827 phosphor. Their output is specified as 650 lumens, less than that of 11 watts lamps. And at the same time on offer are 13 watts lamps with 827, 835, 841, 850 and 865 phosphors, including something for just every taste one would think.

So Philips sells in the USA at least three different breeds of lamps as "Natural Light": 1/ the old "daylight" incandescents with blue coating, 2/ 950 colour linear fluorescents, 3/ these CFL lamps which appear to be just a brute force attempt to emulate 1/ as CFL. Is there really a market demand for such a crude product?
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies