Author Topic: What are you using to light your desk?  (Read 2857 times)
LampLover

View Posts
View Gallery
120/240VAC @ 60HZ

GoL PeterYachymczyk UCYBAif_ag4v8nIcCU3VAmag
What are you using to light your desk? « on: July 01, 2011, 08:07:23 PM » Author: LampLover
I'm interested to see what people are using to light their desks (Computer or other area)
I am using an "old" floor lamp (It was in the trash with a bent pole) that I modified to by removing the bent pole and I rewired it as a socket was broken  
and while I hate them I am using two 26W CFLS as I can't get enough light with a two 40W bulbs (That's what the socket says as max)
I also have one of those infamous "Daylight" Lamps but I hate the color of the light (Too Blue) anyone know where I can find a FML27 light bulb with a Kelvin of around 2500-3000K?

LED Free Zone!
All For HID, magnetic rapid-start Preheat & old-school electronic Only (no instant start F17T8 & F32T8 allowed)

LampLover

View Posts
View Gallery
120/240VAC @ 60HZ

GoL PeterYachymczyk UCYBAif_ag4v8nIcCU3VAmag
Re: What are you using to light your desk? « Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 08:09:00 PM » Author: LampLover
I'm interested to see what people are using to light their desks (Computer or other area)
I am using an "old" floor lamp (It was in the trash with a bent pole) that I modified to by removing the bent pole and I rewired it as a socket was broken  
and while I hate them I am using two 26W CFLS as I can't get enough light with a two 40W bulbs (That's what the socket says as max)
I also have one of those infamous "Daylight" Lamps but I hate the color of the light (Too Blue) anyone know where I can find a FML27 light bulb with a Kelvin of around 2500-3000K?
Sorry I screwed up a posted the same image twice

LED Free Zone!
All For HID, magnetic rapid-start Preheat & old-school electronic Only (no instant start F17T8 & F32T8 allowed)

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What are you using to light your desk? « Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 04:28:49 AM » Author: Ash
For dimmer light, reflected off the wall, for general lighting. It is placed above and somewhat to the side of the work area

Gaash 1606 (made around 1983) with cover (white acrylic) removed, and hanged facing the wall with the hooks used to hold the cover. Fixture built for 2x60 W GLS, running 1x13 W modern 6500K CFL (i didnt bother to wire both sockets, one is just disconnected)

For ambient light, often placed behind the computer monitor

Goccia, probably early version of marina (made in the 1980s ?). Fixture built for 75 W GLS (i dont believe it, the back is plastic), running 1x11 W modern 6500K CFL. I propped the glass cover up a bit with pieces of cardboard to allow air to get in and cool the CFL

For bright desk lamp when taking photos etc. mounted to the desk

Unknown desk lamp on arm (made around 2000). Built for 40 or 60 W GLS, used with 13 W modern 6500K CFL

This desk lamp was used for a brief period (around 2009) converted from CFL to 13 W PL with remote ballast (basically a box containing the ballast that the fixture plugs into), but after almost-accident (i used it at school to light the control panel of stage lights, and one of the students allmost plugged it in without the ballast - i stopped him in the last second) i installed back the E27 socket and CFL

When i was kid and found a Steinitz 125 W MV globe (made around 1991) in a construction site, i used it for some time as a light in the room as i liked it so much. I dont have it in the room now (it gets so blinding bright after few minutes), it is stored for use at props / work lamp / and such instead
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 04:31:29 AM by Ash » Logged
seansy59

View Posts
View Gallery

I am OPEN for Lighting talk!

Re: What are you using to light your desk? « Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 08:48:38 AM » Author: seansy59
I use a regular 4ft shoplight  ;D

http://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=lastcom&cat=10733&pos=3&pid=52486
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 08:51:35 AM by seansy59 » Logged

Rapid Start and Preheat fluorescent! No instant start!

Zelandeth

View Posts
View Gallery

ATL @zelandeth Zelandeth zelandeth zelandeth zelandeth
Re: What are you using to light your desk? « Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 02:27:53 PM » Author: Zelandeth
Computer desk here as we speak is mainly being lit by a 60W Philips Philinea.

Elsewhere in the room there's an Iwasaki Eye 165W RFF reflector blended mercury lamp and a Philips QL85, they'll only be brought into service once it gets dark though.
sparkie

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What are you using to light your desk? « Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 07:07:54 PM » Author: sparkie
Nothing specific over the computer desk at present, but the room itself is lit with an 80w Skywhite lamp aimed upwards at the ceiling, plenty bright enough!

icefoglights

View Posts
View Gallery

ITT Low Pressure Sodium NEMA

GoL
Re: What are you using to light your desk? « Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 08:53:47 PM » Author: icefoglights
Over my desk is my Mitchell vintage fluorescent adapter.   8)

01010010 01101111 01100010 01100101 01110010 01110100

yuandrew

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What are you using to light your desk? « Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 01:38:41 AM » Author: yuandrew
The big desk lamp with a specially rigged GE PL-13 adapter and an Ott Lite 13 watt full spectrum CFL.

Small desk lamp seen to the left has a Sylvania 35 watt MR-16 lamp and operates off a 12 volt battery under the desk which is recharged by a 40 watt solar array in my backyard. Notice the cigarette lighter sockets by the calendar in the previous picture.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 01:44:03 AM by yuandrew » Logged
imj
Re: What are you using to light your desk? « Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 01:07:33 AM » Author: imj
Pretty boring for me...a video of my room light on youtube. This 36w T8 lights everything in sight so there's no need for a task/desk light..:). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDcQ7N6oYhE
nogden

View Posts
View Gallery

Nelson Ogden

nelson.ogden w8nwo
Re: What are you using to light your desk? « Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 08:13:51 PM » Author: nogden
On one side, I have a traditional "banker's lamp" with an Enertron 13w PL adapter and Sylvania 3000K Dulux D. The CFL is very blink happy. It barely fits in the lamp, though!

The other side is a "cobra head" floor lamp with a long life Chinese 60W A19 incandescent. The floor lamp would like a streetlight if it just had a lens and photocell!

Elsewhere in the room is a lamp with a 50-150 three way lamp. I run it on the 50 watt setting until it burns out. Then I use the light bulb in my reading lamp at the 100 watt level! Once I use my last three way lamp, I will install a 13 watt PL adapter.

-Nelson
rjluna2

View Posts
View Gallery

Robert

GoL
Re: What are you using to light your desk? « Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 08:34:30 PM » Author: rjluna2
I am presently using the two 15 watts fluorescent light as posted at Hamilton Industries Desk Lamp and you can see how it set up at General Electric LumiLine 8)

Pretty, please no more Chinese failure.

toomanybulbs

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What are you using to light your desk? « Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 09:13:10 PM » Author: toomanybulbs
at this desk an ikea long 2 jointed desklamp that originally had a 12v 20w halogen.i have a solar setup with several long run ups units on the 12v battery bank.so i converted this with 2 luxeon k2 led's.so now it draws half the power but gives twice the light.several ottlite folding lamps with 12v dc flourescent ballasts installed and diffused white led's set up for ceiling bounce as nightlights.a supposed 1938 2 tube desklamp that was a rusty wreck when i got it set up for 12v dc and white led nightlights. had nasty storms last night that took the power out.
new neighbors were stunned when i showed them how the setup works.they are getting set up soon too.
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What are you using to light your desk? « Reply #12 on: July 26, 2011, 04:51:50 AM » Author: Medved
I use this as the working desk lamp...

No more selfballasted c***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies