Author Topic: What brand cobrahead lanterns seems to have HPS cycling problems?  (Read 7277 times)
TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: What brand cobrahead lanterns seems to have HPS cycling problems? « Reply #15 on: September 10, 2009, 10:03:33 PM » Author: TudorWhiz
If you read usage manuals for HID lamps, there is stated, then the lantern should not reflect IR back to the lamp. It is there, as unlike on MV, the radiation is the only significant cooling mechanism for the arctube, as the outer bulb is evacuated. (in MV the arctube run cooler, so significant portion of dissipation goes via gas convection and not as much is radiated, so possible to reflect back)
As i know many fixtures, this requirement is very often not fulfilled (mainly on fixtures originally designed for MV), so no wonder. Furthermore, new arctube designs are smaller for the same wattage (to yield higher pressure, so better CRI), so much more sensitive for such reflection.

I know some older HPS fixtures that has the same design as a MV reflector, and I haven't seen any issues of early cycling issues on those.....

Also in my area, the state and another electrical companies uses smaller sized fixtures for 250 watt, which causes early cycling while my electrical company uses the bigger fixtures which def prevents early cycling since I don't see cyclers often on GE M-400A3 with 250 watt HPS...a 250 watt in a GE M-250R2 doesn't seem too bad but can be an issue on OVH....

In another electric company, I notice its the newer OVH that always cycles and never gets fixed quickly and thus having a dark or badly lit roads while older installations continues to work in older fixtures which usually have older designs....

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Administrator of Galleryoflights.org

KEDER

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What brand cobrahead lanterns seems to have HPS cycling problems? « Reply #16 on: September 10, 2009, 11:31:18 PM » Author: KEDER
In lakewood, (where they replaced like every light with OVHs) ive not notices much cycling, but i dont really see those on, cause i usually see them in the day. and there was already a dayburner, but it looks burnt out, not the fixture. the GE fixtures just have a better design.
TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: What brand cobrahead lanterns seems to have HPS cycling problems? « Reply #17 on: September 15, 2009, 01:44:01 AM » Author: TudorWhiz
In lakewood, (where they replaced like every light with OVHs) ive not notices much cycling, but i dont really see those on, cause i usually see them in the day. and there was already a dayburner, but it looks burnt out, not the fixture. the GE fixtures just have a better design.

Most of the cases of early cycling on those Cooper fixtures is if they are higher wattage...lower wattages does better, a lot better..

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Administrator of Galleryoflights.org

KEDER

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What brand cobrahead lanterns seems to have HPS cycling problems? « Reply #18 on: October 27, 2009, 12:34:09 AM » Author: KEDER
I got one:

An M250r2 in 250w HPS. short lamp life, and also cycles early.
slz

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What brand cobrahead lanterns seems to have HPS cycling problems? « Reply #19 on: November 01, 2009, 10:49:16 PM » Author: slz
In Central Ma (Worcester area) we primarily have GE's a few AE's and Coopers, depending on what deal National Grid gets on fixtures that year. From what I have seen, alot of the GE's have an early cycling issue as well as dim light output (especially on the 250watt fixtures). Is the dim light output due to capacitor failure (light looks like LPS)?

gailgrove

View Posts
View Gallery

MVs at Dusk

Re: What brand cobrahead lanterns seems to have HPS cycling problems? « Reply #20 on: January 14, 2010, 04:00:18 PM » Author: gailgrove
I would say Cooper OVXs with 400 watt HPS lamps and OV15 with 250 watt HPS lamps.

Say no to Induction & LED, HID forever!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies