Author Topic: Oversized CFL and MOT  (Read 7429 times)
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Oversized CFL and MOT « on: September 15, 2011, 02:09:36 AM » Author: Medved
Somebody got bored...

No more selfballasted c***

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Oversized CFL and MOT « Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 05:06:28 AM » Author: sol
...and doesn't care about safety. One should never spray water on electrical fires. He surely cut the power supply before spraying, but he shows a bad example. Someone might see this and try it at home...
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Oversized CFL and MOT « Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 06:01:46 AM » Author: Ash
Spraying water is not that dangerous, since a spray of drops does not have continuous conductive path all the way back to you

If power is still there, it will evaporate the water and catch fire again, maybe with additional excitement from some hydrogen and oxygen from electrolized water, but not let current through the spray
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Oversized CFL and MOT « Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 02:49:59 PM » Author: Medved
...and doesn't care about safety. One should never spray water on electrical fires. He surely cut the power supply before spraying, but he shows a bad example. Someone might see this and try it at home...

He switched the power OFF just before spraying...

@Ash: But then the water could cause dangerous leaks trough wettened surrounding materials...

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Oversized CFL and MOT « Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 03:24:37 PM » Author: dor123
Ash: Water + Electricity = Electric shock or a short.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Oversized CFL and MOT « Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 03:31:43 PM » Author: Ash
Medved :

Yep, but why would he touch them ?

Assuming thats concrete there, the only risks of fire are either if the fire from the transformer ignites the cable's isolation and the fire goes along the cable (but shouldn't cables be made fire retardant in the 1st place ?), or a spark (of incandescent metal) flying far out of the transformer and landing somewhere flammable. And both could happen without the water anyway

Dor :

Electric shock : won;t happen in this case, since the water is a spray of isolated drops that won't conduct current to the source of the spray

Short : won't happen at high current (high enough to heat the building's wiring), since the water is bad conductor - it has resistance that limits the current. And besides, the heat dissipated on the water's resistance causes it to boil away and break the circuit

What can happen is some arcing which would ignite the hydrogen and oxygen produced from the water electrolysis, but i doubt that the quantity is enough to make anything exciting
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 03:38:19 PM by Ash » Logged
Peach_Lover

View Posts
View Gallery

https://www.facebook.com/
Re: Oversized CFL and MOT « Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 03:49:31 PM » Author: Peach_Lover
Everything else aside when the lamp's that big it ceases to be a "CFL" ;D
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Oversized CFL and MOT « Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 05:24:32 PM » Author: Ash
Indeed, why not just use a more compact, efficient, and longer lasting halide ?
sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Oversized CFL and MOT « Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 08:26:49 PM » Author: sol
@Peach_Lover : Why not rename it a BFL, which stands for bulky fluorescent, instead of CFL...
Peach_Lover

View Posts
View Gallery

https://www.facebook.com/
Re: Oversized CFL and MOT « Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 08:46:31 PM » Author: Peach_Lover
@Sol: Hahaha I like it!

That bulb is massive, I can't imagine anyone using it for anything other then growing "stuff" if you know what I mean :-\ Well maybe photography/video, but in that case it'd have to have a darn good CRI and would be too costly to be doing experiments like this with.
nogden

View Posts
View Gallery

Nelson Ogden

nelson.ogden w8nwo
Re: Oversized CFL and MOT « Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 09:49:29 PM » Author: nogden
I like his Variac, wish I had one that big!
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Oversized CFL and MOT « Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011, 02:06:32 AM » Author: Medved
Indeed, why not just use a more compact, efficient, and longer lasting halide ?

The "compact" here does not mean, the thing is small, but then everything necessary (lamp plus ballast) is packed into one unit.
These creations are "riding" on the CFL wave (created by "green brainlesses")...

But in such size the adapter for a HID of the same output should be possible to make (assume it is designed only for ~1..2x lamp life)...

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Oversized CFL and MOT « Reply #12 on: September 16, 2011, 05:25:25 AM » Author: Ash
A proper magnetic ballast for 150w MH (that will last tens of times the lamp life) + ignitor + lamp are not larger than this CFL
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Oversized CFL and MOT « Reply #13 on: September 16, 2011, 01:57:56 PM » Author: Medved
@Ash: Bot it would be too heavy for the E40 lampholder...

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Oversized CFL and MOT « Reply #14 on: September 16, 2011, 02:12:58 PM » Author: Ash
Why would you have a fixture with E40 socket which is not HID fixture ?

And i think it will work no problem in E40, the E40s i seen are very well built
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies