Author Topic: Unusual fluorescent fixture  (Read 3254 times)
AZTECH

View Posts
View Gallery

Unusual fluorescent fixture « on: December 15, 2011, 10:06:46 PM » Author: AZTECH
Tell me what you do know about this?  ;D

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Unusual fluorescent fixture « Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 08:02:56 AM » Author: Ash
Some fixtures are shipped like that to allow it to fit in thinner package (save space). Today most battens are shipped with the sockets connected to wires but not inserted in the holes, so that the user has to insert them (and often crosses the lamps with each other, causing a lot of weird behavior of the fixture that fails to start), in the past some were shipped like this
paintballer22

View Posts
View Gallery

120V/240V 60hz

Re: Unusual fluorescent fixture « Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 09:38:59 AM » Author: paintballer22
This fixture looks like a kitchen paper towel holder.
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Unusual fluorescent fixture « Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 09:55:55 AM » Author: Medved
What is rather scary about this fixture is the rather uncovered ballast - I don't think it would meet today's safety code...

No more selfballasted c***

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Unusual fluorescent fixture « Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 10:04:13 AM » Author: Ash
We have similar (but not foldable) fixtures where the ballast is right under the lamp, and the entire fixture is enclosed in a wrap around cover. Those fixtures are very bad as the isolkation of the wires and terminal blocks etc deteriorate from the UV and fall apart after few years. This one might be of similar design

The exposed ballast is not really that dangerous as electric shock hazard - there is no part which you can just touch and get a shock (without sharp metal objects, but then even a wall socket is dangerous), unless you damage the wires or terminal block
AZTECH

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Unusual fluorescent fixture « Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 01:18:51 PM » Author: AZTECH
We have similar (but not foldable) fixtures where the ballast is right under the lamp, and the entire fixture is enclosed in a wrap around cover. Those fixtures are very bad as the isolkation of the wires and terminal blocks etc deteriorate from the UV and fall apart after few years. This one might be of similar design

The exposed ballast is not really that dangerous as electric shock hazard - there is no part which you can just touch and get a shock (without sharp metal objects, but then even a wall socket is dangerous), unless you damage the wires or terminal block

I agreed. I went in Philippines few years ago and I found this little rusty foldable fluorescent fixture was used for street light. (very bad idea but they couldn't afford it the weatherproof light. At first look like a towel paper holder without the ballast. In poor city I could see them anywhere with 15T12 between to 40T12 attached under the wood board and wood pole! It runs on 230v 60hz and even work good in USA.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Unusual fluorescent fixture « Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 01:48:15 PM » Author: Medved

But damaging the terminal block and wires is not as difficult, you already mentioned the exposure to the light/UV...

No more selfballasted c***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies