Author Topic: GE vs. Sylvania vs. Osram vs. Philips  (Read 53231 times)
Distorted Vision

View Posts
View Gallery

GE vs. Sylvania vs. Osram vs. Philips « on: December 31, 2011, 09:26:56 AM » Author: Distorted Vision
I was just wondering if there much difference in quality and life of lamps manufactured by GE, Sylvania, Osram and Philips for incandescent, halogen and energy saving CFLs. Do any brands particularly excel in one particular type of lamp?

Many thanks!
funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: GE vs. Sylvania vs. Osram vs. Philips « Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 10:33:47 AM » Author: funkybulb
 for any factor on lamps number one rule of thumb is application of lamps.

the big three of lamps are pretty good. but i find that GE and sylvaina have vertical filament and philip
have horzontal orentation. for a about bit longer burning life i find that vertical filiament GE and sylvaina
lamps burn in verical potistion in table lamps. while side mounted incadescent fixture i like to used philip
lamps becase they are design to burn horizontal fixture.

the older lights of america CFL, Feit CFLs and GE CFL are pretty good. all magnetic cfl with two pices are very good. the worse i find is the cheap dollar store ones and bright effect. some TCP brand. CFL are not good for place where they are switch a lot like where you need the light for a few mins at time, such as bath rooms and cloth closet. that what make CFl last short as incadescent bulbs.

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

Distorted Vision

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: GE vs. Sylvania vs. Osram vs. Philips « Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 11:10:37 AM » Author: Distorted Vision
Thanks - I wasn't aware that orientation of the fixture was important.

But are there major differences in terms of manufacturing, quality etc between the big manufacturers? I always used to prefer GE but I've had very good experience with Philips and Osram recently. In particular Philips Masterline 12V MR16 and Osram Halopin G9 ECO halogens. Also Megaman Golf Ball Energy Saving CFLs for new fixtures on our hall, stairs and landing.
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: GE vs. Sylvania vs. Osram vs. Philips « Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 09:36:52 PM » Author: Medved
In 230V area I have very bad experience with GE incandescent (both "classic", as well as halogen), they die very soon.
Even the cheepeese original incandescent in the lava lamp lasted more then twice as long as all the GE's (I tried there two pieces of the halogen reflector, two of halogen mini-ball replacements and one "classic", all endured no more then about two month, while the cheepeese noname lasted there half year; In the lava lamp I need mainly the 40W heater...)

No more selfballasted c***

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: GE vs. Sylvania vs. Osram vs. Philips « Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 11:52:56 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
When it comes to fluorescent tubes, I have found Sylvania to last the longest, followed by Philips, and then GE.  Compact fluorescent bulbs about the same. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

paintballer22

View Posts
View Gallery

120V/240V 60hz

Re: GE vs. Sylvania vs. Osram vs. Philips « Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 12:01:04 PM » Author: paintballer22
Fluorescent tubes the best are Sylvaina then GE the worst are Philips. Duro Test was the best of all but they are no longer made :'( .
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: GE vs. Sylvania vs. Osram vs. Philips « Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 03:54:36 PM » Author: Ash
In HPS I noticed that GE are often leaking and arc tubes exploding at EOL, while the others just keep cycling for months or years
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: GE vs. Sylvania vs. Osram vs. Philips « Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 01:48:22 AM » Author: dor123
Ash: HPS arctube can't explode because the pressure inside is still far below 1 atm, air pressure.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: GE vs. Sylvania vs. Osram vs. Philips « Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, 02:53:58 AM » Author: Medved
Ash: HPS arctube can't explode because the pressure inside is still far below 1 atm, air pressure.

Only during normal operation. If it overheat, the pressure could rise way above. And at the same time the arctube assembly structurally weaken...
It would not reach 10's of atmospheres as in MH (and so violently smash the outer), but to cause the arctube explosion it would be sufficient...

No more selfballasted c***

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: GE vs. Sylvania vs. Osram vs. Philips « Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 03:56:53 PM » Author: Ash
Dor : reind you that the outer bulb of HPS is vacuum, so the pressure <1 atm is still in the "polarity" tending to explode the arc tube
RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: GE vs. Sylvania vs. Osram vs. Philips « Reply #10 on: January 07, 2012, 01:06:05 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
Whelp, while doing my rounds at one of the buildings I work on, I found one of the RAB fixture outside lights out.  Upon closer inspection, the 175W HPS bulb had EXPLODED in the fixture. This is the second time I've come across this with the same brand fixture.  I am not certain what brand bulb it is, I will find out when some replacement bulbs come in next week and I replace it, but it is either a GE or Sylvania.  The other fixture that this happened in previously had a GE bulb in it that had exploded.  I am also fairly sure that both bulbs that exploded were getting up there age wise.  They are both on an individual photo cell with one fixture (the previous one that exploded) on about 18 hours out of the day due to being on a shady side of the building. 

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: GE vs. Sylvania vs. Osram vs. Philips « Reply #11 on: January 07, 2012, 01:34:28 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
Actually now that I think about it it may indeed be a metalarc lamp instead of HPS :(  Sheesh I am off today.  I'll get photos. 

LowPressureSodiumSOX
Re: GE vs. Sylvania vs. Osram vs. Philips « Reply #12 on: January 07, 2012, 04:46:16 PM » Author: LowPressureSodiumSOX
ive found that GE Cfls are pretty good. walmart sells some that look just like the GE ones but they dont say GE on them.  they seem pretty good too
LowPressureSodiumSOX
Re: GE vs. Sylvania vs. Osram vs. Philips « Reply #13 on: January 21, 2012, 10:51:22 PM » Author: LowPressureSodiumSOX
With fluorescents, the Sylvania is the best, with CFL, similar, incandescent,Sylvania, HID: Sylvania. The GE CFL's are some of the best I can find around. However, the Philips SOX lamps are some of the best.
don93s

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: GE vs. Sylvania vs. Osram vs. Philips « Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012, 08:12:57 PM » Author: don93s
As for probe start metal halides, I would stay away from GE. I've terrible luck with those in 175w and 400w. They go pink, cycle, deform the arc tube and dim, or blacken quickly.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies