Author Topic: Dazor sockets: how to remove the fluorescent tube?  (Read 6005 times)
Cavannus

View Posts
View Gallery

Dazor sockets: how to remove the fluorescent tube? « on: January 31, 2012, 10:45:35 AM » Author: Cavannus
Hi collectors,

I've recently got a Dazor floating arm desk lamp (my first Dazor!), which has sockets I've never seen before:

Here's my stupid* question: I don't know how to remove the tube from the sockets**!

I've noticed that the sockets have a kind of tab, but I didn't catch how to use it. When I press the tab to the exterior, I can't pull out nor turn the tube since its pin are not completely revealed.
Should I pull out the tube more strongly? What is the risk of breaking the tube? Is there another method?
Thanks for any help***!

*I'm writing "stupid question" because I feel somewhat stupid to be unable to remove a fluorescent tube from a desk lamp!! Furthermore I didn't find any information through search engines: does that mean that everybody but me find these sockets easy to use? :-)

**Here's the patent: http://www.google.com/patents/US2502994?printsec=drawing#v=onepage
But it doesn't help me understand how it works...

*** I really want to remove the tubes: I don't like daylight tints; moreover both tubes have some powder internally scratched and I assume that less powder on the tube means more UVs to my eyes.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 11:03:43 AM by Cavannus » Logged
bags
Re: Dazor sockets: how to remove the fluorescent tube? « Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 07:28:05 PM » Author: bags
I had to put more pressure than I wanted to on mine to get it out. If You can get Your fingers around it try to grab it on the end and the center for support. Get a finger under the end and push up if You can. Also Mine didnt come out straight either, it came out on an angle. Good Luck and enjoy the Dazor.
Cavannus

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Dazor sockets: how to remove the fluorescent tube? « Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 07:59:40 PM » Author: Cavannus
Thanks a lot, I feel reassured! I'll try that outdoors though, just in case :)
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Dazor sockets: how to remove the fluorescent tube? « Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 01:50:46 AM » Author: Medved
I see there (both pictures, as well as the patent drawing) small lever going between the lamp pins on the top of the socket (assume the fixture "reflector" is the bottom), it look like pulling it out from the lamp center would release the lamp...
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 01:52:32 AM by Medved » Logged

No more selfballasted c***

Cavannus

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Dazor sockets: how to remove the fluorescent tube? « Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 09:48:24 AM » Author: Cavannus
Indeed you have to use this lever (which I called a "tab", I didn't know the exact word in English) but the lever doesn't go far enough: the pin ends remains hidden when you pull out it.
Tonight I'll try it again to follow Bags' advice and put more pressure under the tube.
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Dazor sockets: how to remove the fluorescent tube? « Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 02:23:11 AM » Author: Medved
Do only on one side at a time.
Pull the lamp out from the socket you are releasing, with reasonable force it should give (the elasticity of the other end socket) some mm necessary to free the tube...

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Dazor sockets: how to remove the fluorescent tube? « Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 05:47:36 AM » Author: Ash
Disassemble the sockets from the fixture (together with the lamp) then pull them off the ends of the lamp. Then see how they are made (so how they are supposed to work)

Cavannus

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Dazor sockets: how to remove the fluorescent tube? « Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 12:18:36 AM » Author: Cavannus
First try tonight, without any success because I really didn't want to break the tube, but I'll try harder outdoors this weekend. I don't see how to disassemble the socket but this is a good idea.
I'll keep you in touch but, well, I sill cannot understand why Dazor implemented this kind of sockets!! I use to change my tubes once or twice a year for fun -- but this one will remain as is for a very long time!!
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Dazor sockets: how to remove the fluorescent tube? « Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 02:27:56 AM » Author: Medved
If the tube is held there by some spring, there should be some force, otherwise the lamp may fall off the holders. So then some force would be necessary to remove the lamp on purpose.
The question is, how much is it and where exactly to push.

Disassembling the socket from the fixture would be good idea to figure out, how exactly the socket work.

If you would know the move, the lamp insertion and removal would be very easy...

Cavannus

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Dazor sockets: how to remove the fluorescent tube? « Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 03:01:52 PM » Author: Cavannus
 :D ;D Just before I made another attempt this morning, my girlfriend innocently asked me: "Why don't you use a screwdriver as a lever? this might help". "Why not?" I replied, so I inserted the screwdriver then... :o the tube came out immediately without any effort!!

Here's the simple solution!

« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 05:08:10 PM by Cavannus » Logged
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies