Author Topic: Rapid start ballast OCV  (Read 3807 times)
funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Rapid start ballast OCV « on: March 18, 2012, 03:51:00 AM » Author: funkybulb
 Wich rapid start ballast have the highest OCV?
looking for a way to start a cold long tube a bit better.

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Rapid start ballast OCV « Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 01:17:43 PM » Author: Ash
Just a thought that crossed my mind. _it can damage the ballast and the tube_ so i dont know if it is good thing to do

If you are using a ballast with input taps for few voltages, use a time switch to use the wrong tap for few seconds on startup (a somewhat lower voltage one) then switch to the right one - this way giving higher OCV and higher filament heat for few seconds, but also overpowering the ballast (hopefully nothing will happen to it in few seconds)

I think the highest risk is to the capacitor in the ballast (over voltage breakdown), so if it is good enough to try (wait for some other comments....) its to be attempted with NPF ballast only without capacitor
funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Rapid start ballast OCV « Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 03:38:43 PM » Author: funkybulb
 well Ash most of these rapid start ballast is dedcated voltage with out taps most are eather 120 volt ballast or 277 volts ballast. they run these are common 4ft 40 watt two lamp ballast in series 80 output watts
i am runing the ballast in peraell configeration for one lamp. this is for 8 foot slimeline converted
phillip alto tube. the main problem is it take a good while to strike an arc. it start up like a dim
flickery EOL lamp on rapid start. it take a good 5 to 10 mins warmed up it strike a full arc in the tube.
so i think the OCV is barely striking the tube from the cold start. these ballast can do extra inductive kick
from fast swtiching.

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

don93s

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Rapid start ballast OCV « Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 12:50:53 PM » Author: don93s
Wich rapid start ballast have the highest OCV?
looking for a way to start a cold long tube a bit better.

I have some (2) 40w RS ballasts rated for cold temp. and have OCV of 320v instead of the normal 280v. They do turn up on ebay occasionally but are rare. I might have an extra one for you but it runs lamps at 330ma instead of the 430ma of full power ballasts so it would be a little dimmer but not terribly.
funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Rapid start ballast OCV « Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 02:57:29 PM » Author: funkybulb
hello don93

do you know any make and model of those ballast that i can keep my eye peeled for them if the come up on fleabay.
I think a bit higher OCV would help in starting the lamp. I am interested in the ballast it would be a great test subject. since it the first i done 8 foot on rapid start. but i rather to try to shop for that ballast first.

don93s

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Rapid start ballast OCV « Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 12:16:56 PM » Author: don93s
hello don93

do you know any make and model of those ballast that i can keep my eye peeled for them if the come up on fleabay.
I think a bit higher OCV would help in starting the lamp. I am interested in the ballast it would be a great test subject. since it the first i done 8 foot on rapid start. but i rather to try to shop for that ballast first.

The ones I have are made by Power Lighting Products (formally GE) part# 8G3905W. Those are the ones that drive 40w lamps @ 330ma. They are designed to run 22w circlines up to 40w series, hence, why 40w are slightly underdriven. I think they would run the F96 at the same current.

As for other brands, I have an Advance but I can't find it at the moment but I'll get the part# when I do. Incidentally, the Advance also runs lamps at only 330ma too. Also, I have a Universal at home which is about 400 ma, 315v and will get that part # too.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 12:20:56 PM by don93s » Logged
don93s

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Rapid start ballast OCV « Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 12:19:41 PM » Author: don93s
@funkybulb, here's more part#'s.

Advance RC-2SP40-TP
The one I have drives lamps at around 330ma, 320 OCV, same as the Power Lighting ballasts.

MagneTek/Universal W-589-D-TC-P
This is probably the best one...lamp current is around 400ma, 315 OCV, so should perform
better than others I listed as far as light output.
funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Rapid start ballast OCV « Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 12:11:49 AM » Author: funkybulb
Thank you don. i keep a look out. for now i manage to get it to start each time after put 20 hours into the tube
at fisrt it was really hard to start on new alto tube. i had take a 9 volt battery and hold it for 15 mins at each end. i dont think the mercury capsule fully opened. for now i am runing full power advance ballast. as far as ballast goes it just warm.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies