Author Topic: CFL fireworks stories in another website  (Read 1474 times)
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

CFL fireworks stories in another website « on: April 12, 2012, 07:43:15 AM » Author: Ash
This is a thread from an Israeli computer board. Besides others, participating in the thread are dor123 (Dor123) and 11010010110 (me)

"Excitement" begin at page 5, at the exact location this link goes to. But there is some expected discussion before and after that

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=iw&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fhwzone.co.il%2Fcommunity%2Findex.php%3Ftopic%3D527554.0

Notable quotes through the discussion :

"The lightbulb in my kitchen burned. I am looking for the most powerfull light source. I see that today the most promoted are fluorescent and LED lamps. he thing is I plan to order quantity from DX or from focalprice"

"From what i found thats a 4-pack of 85W CFLs. From what i found thats supposed to be real bright but what scare me is that its made in China. What you say ?"

"I bought it at the end : 75 NIS [about 20$] for 150W bulb. Hope to not get disappointed"

"50W is terrible excesses ... It lamps halls / large gardens"

"You realize that it was very large bulbs that are designed for use in a photographic studio?"

"Kitchen: Most standard fluorescent T8 36W (length 1.2 m = 200W incandescent), 58W T8 (length 1.5 m = 300W incandescent), or 2x36W T8"

"Have you ever seen a kitchen I was with a 1.2 meter-long fluorescent?  It looks bad!"

"I do not understand you ... there are standard fluorescents for big places like classrooms and stuff, and compact fluorescent (CFL) for homes!"

2.04.12 17:05 - "In great time, the bulbs arrived ! I am really pleased ! I installed 1 in the kitchen and 2 bedrooms, the light is nice and completely fill the room. Bulb is large and even huge but surprisingly very lightweight"

2.04.12 18:10 - "Someone knows if a lamp this size is supposed to emit sorta metallic smell ? Maybe its just because its new,,, Just noticed it ?"

"It could be ozone. I had a plasma ball that makes a smell like that too. It was even said that its healthy up to certain amount"

"What do you mean... Healthy ?? I think that ozone just get you high. Not but seriously, that smell is really disturbing and the lamps only been in use for like 3 hours"

[Wikipedia link]

"Thank you i'll read about it... But i dont know if thats the case here too. You just scared me here that high power CFLs have this phenomena, is this a cause of alarm or will the smell go away ?"

"Looks like somebody fired an illumination shell into your room"

"More scares me what are those footprints on your ceiling"

"Not clear ? [Youtube link] Nah its just some holes i plastered last time i was remodelling, but they are all seen again with this glare bomb"

"So you say what smells is the light fixture and not the CFL ? I just bought it brand new... The socket is E27. It looks like it can hold 150W no problem.."

"You wanted a CFL, you got a CFL. This thing contains a 80W power supply (thats half of the power of a typical cheapish computer PSU, and the circuit of the CFL is similar to the high voltage part of a computer PSU) - but unlike the computer PSU have heatsinks, fan and it still sucks, here the same components are crammed in area 4 times smaller, without heatsink, in a sealed plastic box. Its just expected that it'll heat up and smell"

"Instead of those CFLs that won;t hold longer than few months, you could install a magnetic T8"

"Tell me do you have shareholdings in a fluorescents company ? Half of this thread people are explaining to me why fluorescents are better than CFLs"

"Bet this lamp i bought will last for a year and even two and i allways light it in the kitchen and a lot in the room. What a CFL is there is nothing in it just some simple electronics. I wonder how the CFL bulbs in my 15 inch LCD monitor thats 10 year old go strong like horse,,, or any LCD TV"

"This is one of the more interesting discussions on those boards. Dont forget to update us when the lamp will burn"

"LOL you'll be updated after 3 years at least.. In this time everybody who have [linear] fluorescent will replace 3 dimmers at least... Anybody interested in lightbulbs that really give out light i recommend, and can ask questions and i'll answer from experence. BTW meanwhile the smell allready got so low that i must really try to feel it"

"And you want to say that you are running the CFL on a dimmer?"

10.04.12 - "Ok the saga continues... As some said and unfortunately were right, one lamp died with the sound of explosion and smell of burned electronics. Other three work well meanwhile. I contacted the seller and he sent me a replacement lamp instead.... "

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies