Author Topic: Getting Rust off a Pre-Heat Choke Ballast  (Read 2006 times)
LampLover

View Posts
View Gallery
120/240VAC @ 60HZ

GoL PeterYachymczyk UCYBAif_ag4v8nIcCU3VAmag
Getting Rust off a Pre-Heat Choke Ballast « on: May 02, 2012, 02:37:47 AM » Author: LampLover
I have a Ballast that I pulled from a broken fish tank fixture and I want a way to get surface light surface rust off (The ballast is for 1 F8T5 Fluorescent lamp)

I already have a Rotary Tool with a polishing tool and a wire brush I just did not know which one to use or how to go about the technique to removing rust

Thanks
I attached a picture of the ballast

LED Free Zone!
All For HID, magnetic rapid-start Preheat & old-school electronic Only (no instant start F17T8 & F32T8 allowed)

SeanB~1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Getting Rust off a Pre-Heat Choke Ballast « Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 03:08:09 PM » Author: SeanB~1
Scouring pad, then wipe with a clean dry cloth and then paint with enamel paint. Nothing rough, just light application of the green side of a brand new scouring pad, then remove the fine dust. Best paint is Hammerite , white will match most stove enamels, but it will eventually discolour with years of heat.
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Getting Rust off a Pre-Heat Choke Ballast « Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 05:27:30 PM » Author: Ash
I have a 150W HPS ballast which i painted with white spray enamel for washing machines / fridges (ballast with about 15W in heat losses on the ballast, and some heat from being in a fixture not far from the lamp)

After few hours of work the paint smells a bit and the 1st time there was also a bubble that blew in the paint from where it is on the coil. The paint appears to be overheating a bit

I guess that with 8W fluorescent ballast, no paint directly on the coil, and no hot lamp right next to it, it won't overheat that bad
slipperypete

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Getting Rust off a Pre-Heat Choke Ballast « Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 05:32:15 AM » Author: slipperypete
You can also use bulk Scotch brite as well. Its similar to Scotch brite scour pads but used in the industrial market.

Bulb bans = Fascism

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies