Author Topic: More LED inventions  (Read 1710 times)
sol

View Posts
View Gallery

More LED inventions « on: May 20, 2012, 09:11:28 PM » Author: sol
Some parts of Germany and France are now installing what I call Dial-a-LED. It is a series of roadway luminaires that are controlled by a telephone system. When you approach that area at night, the lights are at very low level. You simply, from your portable (or fixed) telephone, dial the toll-free number and the lights get to full brightness for 5 minutes. Then they dim again. One disadvantage of this system is that should the battery of your portable telephone be completely discharged, you have to make do with very dim street lighting. Others, like myself, would have to do without the bright light because they don't have a portable telephone.

Other methods are also proposed such as motion sensors.

Turning off every second and third luminaire after midnight or 1 o'clock would work, but leaves "black holes" on the street.

For those interested, here is the article on Le Monde (in french) about this subject.
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: More LED inventions « Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 12:45:17 AM » Author: Medved
I think motion sensor with some intelligence (so it recognize the direction and estimate the speed and based on that turn ON a few lights ahead) would work better with less money (both for the system purchase, as well as running cost - the "free numbers" are quite expensive service)...

No more selfballasted c***

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: More LED inventions « Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 07:43:20 AM » Author: sol
I would prefer motion sensors as well. Not only are they less expensive, they are automatic. If you have to search around for the portable telephone as well as the number, you loose time.

Motion sensors that have a mechanism so that it turns the lights to bright should they fail would be the best. Intelligent sensors would be better over the standard ones, and they should be set to leave you with plenty of time to cross the area before dimming again.
marcopete87

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: More LED inventions « Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 08:27:02 AM » Author: marcopete87
If you have to search around for the portable telephone as well as the number, you loose time.
and driving licence.  :-\

call, or texting during driving is one of the most dangerous thing that a person can do while driving.

motion sensor are the best: totally automatic operation, less cost and driving licence friendly.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies