Author Topic: Which uses more mercury, lamps with mercury in it or incandescent?  (Read 4132 times)
TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Which uses more mercury, lamps with mercury in it or incandescent? « on: July 04, 2006, 06:05:05 PM » Author: TudorWhiz
you all gotta read this......why would they ban mercury vapor lamps if this link is true!!!

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2005/06/what_about_merc.php

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Administrator of Galleryoflights.org

NiMo

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Which uses more mercury, lamps with mercury in it or incandescent? « Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 07:51:19 PM » Author: NiMo
Well geewillikers, that's a no brainer.

Group Replacement, Baby

pslawinski

View Posts
View Gallery

1kW Narva Blue

Re: Which uses more mercury, lamps with mercury in it or incandescent? « Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 09:00:39 PM » Author: pslawinski
Even if what this site says is true I doubt this is a really credible source.  This site has an obviously LIBERAL agenda, so they're likely to skew facts to make their side of the story seem more appealing.

Phillip Slawinski
Founder, Lighting-Gallery.net

Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: Which uses more mercury, lamps with mercury in it or incandescent? « Reply #3 on: July 05, 2006, 06:45:12 PM » Author: Silverliner
My biggest complaint is the poor quality associated with most CFL lamps sold in the USA these days. CFLs were excellent quality in the 1980s, especially the Panasonic, Philips, and GE ones. Now we have too much offbrand spirals which only last a year or less in household use! Often they don't actually burn out, but they dim to less than desirable levels. I have thrown out many CFLs for this very reason. More junk CFLs thrown away means more mercury released into the environment. The same holds true for low mercury linear fluorescent lamps. They are advertised to reduce mercury being spilled into the environment, and even here in environmentally tough California, it is legal to throw low mercury fluorescent lamps away. This big loophole and the high failure rate of the low mercury fluorescent lamps means MORE mercury being released into the environment!

I also agree here, that site has too much of the flaming liberalism for my tastes and does not really point out what I have said above.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

mr_big
Re: Which uses more mercury, lamps with mercury in it or incandescent? « Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 03:07:20 PM » Author: mr_big
It sounds like you are saying that there is mercury in incandescents when there is indeed not
TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Which uses more mercury, lamps with mercury in it or incandescent? « Reply #5 on: July 26, 2006, 04:09:06 PM » Author: TudorWhiz
Mr_bigs

I never said Incandescent had more mercury neither did the link.....you need to read the link to see what it said.....

It said that CFL has mercury inside but not incandescents....but when CFL is used in lights it uses less mercury from the power plants....

read here

Ironically, compact fluorescent bulbs are responsible for less mercury contamination than the incandescent bulbs they replaced, even though incandescents don't contain any mercury. The highest source of mercury in America’s air and water results from the burning of fossil fuels, such as coal, at utilities that supply electricity. Since a compact fluorescent bulb uses 75 percent less energy than an incandescent bulb, and lasts at least six times longer, it is responsible for far less mercury pollution in the long run. A coal-burning power plant will emit four times more mercury to produce the electricity for an incandescent bulb than for a compact fluorescent

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Santaarnpaal

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Which uses more mercury, lamps with mercury in it or incandescent? « Reply #6 on: July 26, 2006, 04:52:19 PM » Author: Santaarnpaal
CFL, Fluorescent and mercury lamps can be recycled. In the Netherland you can bring those lamps to special recycling depots.
TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Which uses more mercury, lamps with mercury in it or incandescent? « Reply #7 on: July 26, 2006, 06:38:58 PM » Author: TudorWhiz
BGE does recycle mercury lamps and others......

mr_big
Re: Which uses more mercury, lamps with mercury in it or incandescent? « Reply #8 on: July 31, 2006, 05:30:35 PM » Author: mr_big
You can't throw away mercury lamps in california anymore
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Which uses more mercury, lamps with mercury in it or incandescent? « Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 08:33:00 PM » Author: Medved
CFL, Fluorescent and mercury lamps can be recycled. In the Netherland you can bring those lamps to special recycling depots.
And the mercury emission from a power plant chimney can never be recycled and is directly in the air - so as the most dangerous state of mercury.

No more selfballasted c***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies