Author Topic: 7000 lumen CFL  (Read 5275 times)
Powell

View Posts
View Gallery

7000 lumen CFL « on: October 19, 2012, 01:32:53 PM » Author: Powell
It's a Topaz   CF105/S/50/120/E26.  I have the CF85 version which is 5700 lumens.  It's really only practical to burn this base down or if your fixture has a sturdy enough socket base up.  The thing is REALLY bright. It will replace the one on my porch (the 85 watt one)  Color is 5000K.  I tested it in our small bathroom at the radio station. YOWZA.  At home the bugs will have to use SPF50 to approach the lamp.

NNNN!

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 7000 lumen CFL « Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 02:51:40 AM » Author: Ash
Damn bright thing. But then aren't we aware of some better light sources like 100W MH ?
Powell

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 7000 lumen CFL « Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 11:22:20 AM » Author: Powell
Yes, BUT I didn't want to replace the fixture on the little porch.  And there is only around 2 or so inches clearance to the vinyl siding.  If the MH runs very hot it might melt or distort the siding. 

NNNN!

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 7000 lumen CFL « Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 01:51:22 PM » Author: Ash
All light sources are inefficient so it is close enough to assume that the power dissipation (in W) is proportional to the amount of heat, even between MH and CFL

(Incandescents are not too different in efficiency either when we look at them as heaters, but they emit more IR and less heat at the lamp itself - so the IR turns into heat at the surfaces it hits such as the shade of the fixture)

For 7000Lm i guess the CFL is more than 100W (as 70Lm/W is more than CFLs i know are), so the heat dissipation as well....
Powell

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 7000 lumen CFL « Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 11:35:30 PM » Author: Powell
It is  105 watts....

NNNN!

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 7000 lumen CFL « Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 02:08:23 AM » Author: Medved
I would guess the 100W MH fixture would run cooler than this CFL one. The 100W end up mostly as IR, so goes away with the light, but the CFL heat up the surrounding air...
I converted 300W R7s halogen flod to 70W MH (connec t external ballast box) and it is only slightly warm (you can hold it by hands) and it is quite small fixture...

No more selfballasted c***

Powell

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 7000 lumen CFL « Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 12:33:48 PM » Author: Powell
I haven't seen any self ballasted MH lamps though.  And I since I had the earlier 85 watt version I wanted to see how much brighter it is..... and the answer is YES.  The tube is T5, BTW . 

NNNN!

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 7000 lumen CFL « Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 02:38:09 PM » Author: Medved
I wouldn't use selfballasted lamp, but an external ballast.
The ballast in selfballasted lamps becomes quite unreliable and short living when run in enclosed fixtures due to high temperatures involved. I guess that is the reason, why only 20W selfballasted HID lamps are made these days and were ever the only electronic ballasted HID, all higher wattages used incandescent filament as a resistive ballast (the GE "halarc" used incandescent filament as a ballast as well, electronic was only the rectifier/igniter).
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 02:58:12 PM by Medved » Logged

Powell

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 7000 lumen CFL « Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 07:20:38 PM » Author: Powell
I don't know where I would put the ballast. The little porch is enough for one person to stand on it.  The lamp is exposed to the air, and gets some protection from rain if the wind doesn't blow too hard.  I have room enough to put up a 2 lamp 20 watt strip fluorescent but I don't know what's behind that vinyl siding that would be above my head.....

NNNN!

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 7000 lumen CFL « Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 02:12:01 PM » Author: Ash
Remote.... No connection box that the wire goes through ?
Powell

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 7000 lumen CFL « Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 05:22:10 PM » Author: Powell
No reasonable way to do this. If you saw how small this area is you would understand................ :mv: :inc: :hps:

NNNN!

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 7000 lumen CFL « Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 06:53:21 PM » Author: Medved
Well, I could not imagine an area so small to not fit ~10x10x30cm ballast box, but needing a 7000lm light source...

Powell

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 7000 lumen CFL « Reply #12 on: October 23, 2012, 12:14:12 PM » Author: Powell
Well it would be unsightly and anyway I am not doing it, but when the MV lamp in the yard goes EOL I will convince them to replace it with a Metal Halide and not a Sodium Vapor....

NNNN!

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 7000 lumen CFL « Reply #13 on: October 23, 2012, 01:40:14 PM » Author: Medved
The big argument for the HPS (and against the MH) could be the cost: The HPS is for the >6000lm packages the cheapest light of today and very frequently it is nearly impossible to argue against...
On the plus side, when there would be installed an MH rated gear (so ballast with thermal protector), it may be still used with the HPS (the thermal protection is beneficial for the HPS reliability as well)

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 7000 lumen CFL « Reply #14 on: October 24, 2012, 11:13:29 AM » Author: Ash
Why not keep it mercury ?
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies