Author Topic: What type of ballast is this?  (Read 2531 times)
Patrick
Webmaster

View Posts
View Gallery

LightingGallery
What type of ballast is this? « on: December 06, 2012, 10:00:40 PM » Author: Patrick
There are troffers in my office with 3xF32T8 lamps.  They start up exactly like magnetic rapid start.  If one lamp fails, they all glow dim just like magnetic RS, except with magnetic there would typically only be two lamps in series.  Clearly they're not instant start, and I thought programmed start caused the ends to glow at startup like preheat (but without the blinking).  Are they a kind of electronic rapid start and why aren't they destructive at EOL like most electronic ballasts?  If they had EOL protection, I'd expect the lamps to cut out entirely, not glow dimly.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 10:02:21 PM by pjc » Logged

Patrick C., Administrator
Lighting-Gallery.net

funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What type of ballast is this? « Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 10:51:42 PM » Author: funkybulb
 It could be real magnetic rapid start ballast. single and two lamp ballast being Used?
  i do have a 2 lamp magnetic F32 rapid start.

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

Patrick
Webmaster

View Posts
View Gallery

LightingGallery
Re: What type of ballast is this? « Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 11:03:22 PM » Author: Patrick
I've seen several burn out, and all three lamps always go at once, so it must be a single ballast.  Sometimes flipping off and on the wall switch will get a dim fixture to come on.  Again, much like the behavior of magnetic RS.

Lighting-Gallery.net

DetroitTwoStroke

View Posts
View Gallery

Luke

Re: What type of ballast is this? « Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 11:25:51 PM » Author: DetroitTwoStroke
It sounds like they are Motorola electronic rapid start ballasts. My old high school had four lamp Motorola ballasts running GE T8 w/Starcoat F32T8/SP35 full mercury tubes and Philips Alto F32T8/TL735. When one lamp failed, all four would glow dimly. The OCV isn't high enough to heat the electrodes to vacuum loss, so they just glow dimly like magnetic RS. Motorola also made instant start ballasts that, as far as I know, behave like any other IS ballast. Motorola ballasts were made in the U.S.A. until they were bought by Osram Sylvania in the early 2000s, and production shifted to China.

Pride and quality workmanship should lie behind manufacturing, not greed.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: What type of ballast is this? « Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 02:21:15 AM » Author: dor123
Usually, if one lamp fails in a 2-4 lamps electronic ballast of any type (Instant-start, rapidstart, PTC and programmed start), all of the rest lamps should go out (Unless I'm miss something about the operation principle of the american electronic rapidstarts: Perhaps they actually don't relys on a starting capacitor for starting, with or without a mechanism to delay its operation to preheat the electrodes [Like PTC or a smart preheat circuit], like the rest types of electronic ballasts, but operating with the same mechanism of the magnetic rapidstarts [A heating transformer and capacitor]).

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What type of ballast is this? « Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 07:47:50 AM » Author: Ash
First lets detrmine if it is magnetic or electronic - by the 120 hz flicker

Now can you see hw the lamps are wired ?

There is nothing preventing to make a 3 lamp series RS (with all 3 lamps in series) - it'd need 2 more "yellow wires" and higher OCV thats all

And there is nothing preventing this from being electronic. Same transformer layout and everything, but input to the transformer is HF instead of direct 120v 60 hz, and the transformer small ferrite like in all HF transofrmers
Patrick
Webmaster

View Posts
View Gallery

LightingGallery
Re: What type of ballast is this? « Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 12:22:16 AM » Author: Patrick
I've uploaded a photo.

Lighting-Gallery.net

mrboojay

View Posts
View Gallery

I love bulbs of all types.

mrboojay UC2tpasJaLc8IhVdjcDkI_3A mrboojay mrboojays_pics
Re: What type of ballast is this? « Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 12:37:24 PM » Author: mrboojay
One way to tell if it is magnetic or electronic could be to hold a camera (i.e. a cell phone) up to the light and wait for it to lower the exposure level.  Than look to see if there are any orange or black lines that appear.  If they do than it is megnetic, if not and you can see the tubes like with the human eye than it is electronic.

This is the case for every camera and ballast I have tried.

Here is a picture to show what it would look like.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 12:39:28 PM by mrboojay » Logged

-mrboojay
My lighting-gallery.net Gallery
My YouTube Channel

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What type of ballast is this? « Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 12:45:46 PM » Author: Ash
Not exactly. The camera detects 100/120 Hz flicker. But how about this :

Resistive ballast have even worse flicker than magnetic

Low frequency electronic ballasts can have flicker - There are capacitive ballasts, "dimmers", ballasts with rectifier and whatnot

Capacitor-less HF electronic ballast will have sigificant flicker
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies