Author Topic: Managed to elevate the mercury vapour pressure inside a dead Luxten 8W T5 lamp  (Read 3112 times)
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Managed to elevate the mercury vapour pressure inside a dead Luxten 8W T5 lamp « on: December 11, 2012, 06:14:32 AM » Author: dor123
I have now microwaved a burned out generic Luxten 8W T5 daylight halophosphor fluorescent lamp for 1 min, and analysed its spectrum with my CD-R.
After several seconds, I suddenly noted that the mercury lines got brighter and more prominent, while the halophosphors emission remained the same intensity or even reduced in intensity, meaning that the mercury vapour pressure inside the tube, was elevated.
As the lamp was very hot, I took it out by a glove.
To prevent my mother, my tutor or the hostel crew to know about the experiment, I didn't filmed it.

Update: Unfortunately, the lamp lost vaccum after the second try.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 08:32:36 AM by dor123 » Logged

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Managed to elevate the mercury vapour pressure inside a dead Luxten 8W T5 lamp « Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 02:18:39 PM » Author: Ash
Mercury is lost partially in the phosphor. Microwaves affect it everywhere, therefore they force the mercury thats "trapped away" to evaporate back into the lamp - this does not happen normally from normal discharge between the lamp's electrodes

But it would work with an oven as well (that would just evaporate the mercury thermally instead of by heating it with microwaves)

But dont forget that other parts of the lamp are heating up too - seals, lead in wires, end caps, sometimes even the sealing in the glass itself if it is contaminated. If the glass cracked n such place (for example as result of thermal expansion of a seal) this is why the lamp lost vacuum

As for filming,

if you dont show your parents the movie what is wrong ? If they read here however, they can just read this topic as well.... You all can stop worying though, since the lamp is pressure <1 atm it did not send any mercury or phosphor out, and even if it would the amountis tiny and not dangerous. So you can safely consider that microwave as clean
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Managed to elevate the mercury vapour pressure inside a dead Luxten 8W T5 lamp « Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 02:37:33 PM » Author: dor123
The microwave oven creates a plasma inside the tube by an electromagnetic induction (Like induction lamps). This plasma heats the mercury.
Since this plasma is much more powerful (Several hunderds of watts), the mercury excited to much higher energy levels than in normal operation. This cause the lamp to heat very much, causes much more than normal liquid mercury to vapourise, and since not all of the mercury inside the lamp vapourised in normal operation, this may cause an increase in the vapour pressure.
Microwaving a 4W T5 lamp inside a 1500W microwave oven, may lead to lamp explosion, because very high energy is constricted to a very small lamp, since all of its 5mg of mercury is completely vapourised, so the pressure rises much more.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

BG101

View Posts
View Gallery

EYE H80 Mercury Vapour

Brian TheTellyman
Re: Managed to elevate the mercury vapour pressure inside a dead Luxten 8W T5 lamp « Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 06:19:16 PM » Author: BG101
I'd be tempted to give it a zap and then try it in a fitting! May help with Philips tubes :D

BG

Say NO to DICTATORSHIP in the form of bulb/tube/ballast bans !!

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Managed to elevate the mercury vapour pressure inside a dead Luxten 8W T5 la « Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 04:02:08 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Is there any (safe) way to raise the mercury level in a mercury-starved 4-footer (that is otherwize still good) ?

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Managed to elevate the mercury vapour pressure inside a dead Luxten 8W T5 lamp « Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012, 04:12:57 PM » Author: Ash
heat gun ?
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Managed to elevate the mercury vapour pressure inside a dead Luxten 8W T5 la « Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 01:27:04 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
I do have a heat gun...might have to do a 'test' out on the patio someday (I think the hardest part though would be heating the tube evenly enough so as not to crack it)

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Managed to elevate the mercury vapour pressure inside a dead Luxten 8W T5 lamp « Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 03:11:21 PM » Author: Ash
heat it not from up close, and move along the tube forward and back o heat it evenly

besides i think you can heat it o less temperature but for longer. I dont think it will have any problem with 100C temperature but keep it at this temp for a while to try to release more mercury
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Managed to elevate the mercury vapour pressure inside a dead Luxten 8W T5 lamp « Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 12:38:35 AM » Author: dor123
Why when the mercury absorbed by the phosphors and the glass, it can't be vapourised anymore, in the lamp operating temperature?
The mercury still exists on the tube in liquid form only. So why a higher temperature than normal is needed to vapourise the mercury again?
Same thing can happen when a fluorescent lamp wasn't used for a very long time, but then the mercury can be vapourised in the lamp operating conditions (Even if it will take several mins for the mercury to vapourise and several tens of hours to reach equilibrium).

Alights

View Posts
View Gallery

USA (120V 60HZ)

Re: Managed to elevate the mercury vapour pressure inside a dead Luxten 8W T5 lamp « Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 12:47:42 AM » Author: Alights
I have used a hair dryer on a mercury starved luxline (SLI) F34T12 and it got much brighter in the reigon i heated up
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Managed to elevate the mercury vapour pressure inside a dead Luxten 8W T5 lamp « Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 05:28:07 AM » Author: dor123
Is this actually solve the problem of mercury starvation, so the lamp can do more hours?

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Managed to elevate the mercury vapour pressure inside a dead Luxten 8W T5 lamp « Reply #11 on: December 17, 2012, 12:44:15 PM » Author: Medved
Why when the mercury absorbed by the phosphors and the glass, it can't be vapourised anymore, in the lamp operating temperature?
The mercury still exists on the tube in liquid form only. So why a higher temperature than normal is needed to vapourise the mercury again?

It react with other components, so it is in big part not in liquid form anymore. Once "trapped" in a compound, it can n ot be released anymore.

Same thing can happen when a fluorescent lamp wasn't used for a very long time, but then the mercury can be vapourised in the lamp operating conditions (Even if it will take several mins for the mercury to vapourise and several tens of hours to reach equilibrium).

The reaction with other components speed up with temperature, so practically at room temperature the reaction practically does not progress, but it goes pretty fast when e.g. overdriven.
So with long time stored lamps it only seep between the phosphor particles, so heating it up could release the mercury again. But when it react, the heat does not help anymore, it could only temporary release some extra from metal parts (where it formed amalgams) and (more important) mix it up over the complete tube volume.

No more selfballasted c***

BG101

View Posts
View Gallery

EYE H80 Mercury Vapour

Brian TheTellyman
Re: Managed to elevate the mercury vapour pressure inside a dead Luxten 8W T5 lamp « Reply #12 on: December 18, 2012, 04:22:45 PM » Author: BG101
I find that letting mercury-starved tubes rest for a few days restores some decent output for a while, at least with Philips 6W T5s. However I'm going to test this with one of my Philips tubes and a heat gun (or the oven) to see what happens. :)

BG

Say NO to DICTATORSHIP in the form of bulb/tube/ballast bans !!

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Managed to elevate the mercury vapour pressure inside a dead Luxten 8W T5 lamp « Reply #13 on: December 19, 2012, 02:49:02 AM » Author: Medved
For the heating up the tube without causing a thermal stress, I would use the hot air baking oven, but do not set it above 100degC. It warm up slowly and the air circulation keep the temperature inside even. Then one should be careful with cool down as well...

No more selfballasted c***

jason_m

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Managed to elevate the mercury vapour pressure inside a dead Luxten 8W T5 lamp « Reply #14 on: April 16, 2013, 11:52:47 PM » Author: jason_m
I microwave lamps with a big bowl of water alongside.  That is a big enough load so the lamps don't get screwed up.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies