Author Topic: Overdriving the filament to short the lamp life in current incandescent lamps?  (Read 2461 times)
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Overdriving the filament to short the lamp life in current incandescent lamps? « on: December 17, 2012, 10:38:19 AM » Author: dor123
I have noted that the incandescent lamps of today, have much less life than before the incandescent ban took place, and also noted that have a whiter, halogen like color that looks like 2800-3000K. Are the current incandescent lamps being overdriven?
Also, I have noted that the current halogen lamps have a lower color temperature than in the past (Similar to 2700K-2900K) and a lamp life similar to incandescents. Is this because they are made from a hard glass instead of quartz in order to lower their price?

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Overdriving the filament to short the lamp life in current incandescent lamps? « Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 12:37:09 PM » Author: Medved
Indeed, incandescent lamps are driven hotter, in order to boost their efficacy.
Given their purchase cost versus the cost of electricity to run them, it make perfectly sense - the cost to replace a lamp is nearly none compare to the electricity cost.
Other aspect could be the requirement to print the light output on the package by the largest font (I think it came in 2009, but I'm not exactly sure). That make many people to prefer more energy efficient types.
So it ended the habit of underdriving the filaments, so the real median life was longer than the rating - creating a false impression of better quality.

On the other hand (mainly the mains) halogens suffered from too high early failure rate, so lowering the temperature is likely an attempt to compensate for that.
The use of hard glass instead of quartz for the bulb could play a role as well.

No more selfballasted c***

BG101

View Posts
View Gallery

EYE H80 Mercury Vapour

Brian TheTellyman
Re: Overdriving the filament to short the lamp life in current incandescent lamps? « Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 04:59:15 PM » Author: BG101
I've noticed the comparatively short life of modern incandescents vs. the good quality branded ones we used to have, I too had assumed lack of manufacturing quality but this could indeed be the case .. however our GLS bulbs are now labelled "rough service" so I would have thought these would not be overdriven, to improve their shock resistance? Unless it is purely a gimmick to get round the bans :D

BG

Say NO to DICTATORSHIP in the form of bulb/tube/ballast bans !!

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Overdriving the filament to short the lamp life in current incandescent lamps? « Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 02:46:16 AM » Author: Medved
The bans cover only general home lighting lamps, but they do not apply for the special use lamps.
Rough service, long life, oven, signal and so on all are special use lamps, not covered by the legislation.
So yes, it is indeed a go-around way over the bans...

jrmcferren

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Overdriving the filament to short the lamp life in current incandescent lamps? « Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 07:37:02 PM » Author: jrmcferren
Check your voltage! You may need to use higher voltage lamps (if available) to compensate. Utilities are using increased voltages. Even years ago some parts of the country 120 volt bulbs were special order due to high voltage. Texas usually tries to stay around 127 volts which ironically is the nominal voltage for Mexico.
funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Overdriving the filament to short the lamp life in current incandescent lamps? « Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 08:39:49 PM » Author: funkybulb
Texas is known for higher voltages and also it on the grid isolated from the rest of the country.  This why I hate lamp ban as it don't make any sense ESP for texas

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

GoL the.baus.of.all.bauses UCDl2EWWZc9h1IZXcfGU9OZA nicksfans
Re: Overdriving the filament to short the lamp life in current incandescent lamps? « Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 07:29:42 PM » Author: nicksfans
60-watt, 130-volt bulbs are still available at my local Lowe's. I bought a case of 24 recently. I expect them to last longer than normal bulbs since the voltage at my house is right around 120 volts.

I like my lamps thick, my ballasts heavy, and my fixtures tough.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Overdriving the filament to short the lamp life in current incandescent lamps? « Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 11:28:59 AM » Author: Medved
60-watt, 130-volt bulbs are still available at my local Lowe's. I bought a case of 24 recently. I expect them to last longer than normal bulbs since the voltage at my house is right around 120 volts.

The undredriven lamps have way lower efficacy, so either you would pay more for higher energy consumption (if you want to compensate using higher power - for 7% of voltage difference you would need about one step higher wattage), or you could save quite a lot by using one step lower wattage 120V lamps.

How frequently you have to replace the bulbs and how difficult it is, so the extra energy cost won't be way higher than the cost of new bulbs?

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Overdriving the filament to short the lamp life in current incandescent lamps? « Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 11:47:22 AM » Author: Ash
I'd be concerned less with cost of lamps but with their continued availability in the future
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies