Author Topic: Philips Hue LED Lighting System  (Read 3170 times)
Patrick
Webmaster

View Posts
View Gallery

LightingGallery
Philips Hue LED Lighting System « on: January 06, 2013, 09:08:05 PM » Author: Patrick
Has anyone had an opportunity to try out the Hue LED bulbs from Philips?  The lamps are networked, and can be controlled using iOS and Android devices.  The starter kit includes the base station (required) and three lamps.  Additional lamps can be purchased separately.  They are expensive, with the starer kit priced at $200 and additional lamps at $60.  I've linked to the 120V version, but 240V lamps are available as well.  They're only available with a medium screw base at this time.  Each lamp has maximum output of 600 lumens.  Some of the features include dimming, color changing, and scheduling.  Because they're networked, even lamps on different circuits can be controlled together.  You must own some kind of smartphone or tablet, and if yours isn't handy, then you can't utilize most of the features.  You can reset the lamps to white light at full brightness by flipping the regular light switch off and on, so you won't get stuck in the dark if you're without your phone.  It would be nice if they included remote controls that allowed you to access the most common functions without the need for a mobile device.  I suspect the reliance on mobile devices and the lack of independent remotes was partly to control costs and partly due to their partnership with Apple.  The lamps communicate using the ZigBee Light Link protocol, so it should be possible to operate with them with other devices that support the standard.  One other device that has been reported to work is the remote control that ships with Philips own LivingColors LED lights, but I don't think it can be purchased separately.  Anyway, here are a few videos showing off the product.

Video 1
Video 2
Video 3
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 09:12:43 PM by pjc » Logged

Patrick C., Administrator
Lighting-Gallery.net

BG101

View Posts
View Gallery

EYE H80 Mercury Vapour

Brian TheTellyman
Re: Philips Hue LED Lighting System « Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 07:45:23 PM » Author: BG101
There's no reason they can't make this work with a computer which has infra-red capability; IR dongles can be bought cheaply enough.

It's just that these people want you to buy one of these bloody tablet things, which I refuse to do! If it doesn't have a keyboard it's no use to me.

BG

Say NO to DICTATORSHIP in the form of bulb/tube/ballast bans !!

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Philips Hue LED Lighting System « Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 06:46:49 AM » Author: dor123
There's no reason they can't make this work with a computer which has infra-red capability; IR dongles can be bought cheaply enough.

It's just that these people want you to buy one of these bloody tablet things, which I refuse to do! If it doesn't have a keyboard it's no use to me.

BG
Exactly. A device is useless without buttons. A cellular phone is useless without buttons and a computer is useless without a keyboard.
This is the reason why the huge success and demand of the iPhone (Despite coming from a company that didn't manufactured any cellular phone before, and had no knowledge in that field), which have only screen and no buttons (Barely home button and an almost inaccessible on/off switch), and is very hard to operate compared to the cellular phones of that time, isn't repairable (Its battery can't be replaced)(And at the same time, the most expensive cellular device in the market at that time [And it is such also today]), was totally unpredictable, not only to me, but also for Nokia, Sony Ericson, Telit, Samsung and Motorola (Telit disappeared from the market since the iPhone launched). This is why it tooks many years, until competiting devices, came to the market, with the first was the Samsung Galaxy S which launched in 2011 (iPhone launched in 2007).
Since such a scene (The iPhone launch and the aftermath) can theoretically happen only in the science fiction (Instant success, popularity and huge demand of a device most people don't know how to use it, that is the most expensive in its category and very hard to use, unrepairable and its battery can't be replaced), I think that the initial success, popularity and demand of the iPhone was totally staged and artificial by Apple (I think that if the first iPhone would be launched by traditional means, it would be a commercial failure, and than the cellular phones, clocks, alarm clocks and wristwatch, wouldn't become obsolete [The iPhone caused that alarm clocks aren't sold anymore, cellular phones only barely marketed today and clocks and wristwatch are now more of a fashion items, rather than useful items. Also, the iPhone {And other post iPhone smartphones}, isn't truely a cellular phone, but a complete PDA computer, as its main use isn't talking, but as an internet mechine, gaming consule and portable entertainment center, as well as navigation device, camera, barcode reader, multipurpose medical equipment, etc...])

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

BG101

View Posts
View Gallery

EYE H80 Mercury Vapour

Brian TheTellyman
Re: Philips Hue LED Lighting System « Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 05:55:58 AM » Author: BG101
It's all down to the sheeple blindly going along with the marketing hype.

I don't like filthing the screen up just to use it, I have enough of a job keeping my laptop screen free of fingerprints and muck as it is just from accidentally touching it. Nor do I like not being able to see the controls without covering half the screen (if I can find them, that is).

Some people love these devices but they're not for me, I also know lots of others who feel the same. :)

I just need a phone which will do its job and survive the abuse it gets subjected to during work or leisure activities. Drop an iPhone from a couple of feet and it'll likely break the screen which is expensive to replace, drop it in water and it's scrap.

BG

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Philips Hue LED Lighting System « Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 11:41:10 AM » Author: Ash
Nice toy but seriously ? not a bit too complex for just a light ?
BG101

View Posts
View Gallery

EYE H80 Mercury Vapour

Brian TheTellyman
Re: Philips Hue LED Lighting System « Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 07:51:30 PM » Author: BG101
I think so, just a toy. I love gadgets but won't be suckered into spending extortionate amounts on them.

BG

Alights

View Posts
View Gallery

USA (120V 60HZ)

Re: Philips Hue LED Lighting System « Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 11:52:36 AM » Author: Alights
Definitely a cool bulb/system and very versatile...very cool that its also android compatible as i have an android phone(Samsung galaxy note)
If the price for 3 comes down to below $100 ill buy it in an instant
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Philips Hue LED Lighting System « Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 01:30:38 PM » Author: dor123
Definitely a cool bulb/system and very versatile...very cool that its also android compatible as i have an android phone(Samsung galaxy note)
If the price for 3 comes down to below $100 ill buy it in an instant
The Galaxy Note, is a compromise between smartphone and tablet (In Israel, it called "Tabletphone").
Still, stupid idea: What is bad to switch on and off the light by a switch or by the conventional means of automatic turning on/off? Why that smart devices should be involved in the operation of a light bulb?

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Philips Hue LED Lighting System « Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 02:19:03 PM » Author: Ash
For many users that'll be great, so why call it stupid. Its just not for the "everywhere" application
BG101

View Posts
View Gallery

EYE H80 Mercury Vapour

Brian TheTellyman
Re: Philips Hue LED Lighting System « Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 07:48:04 PM » Author: BG101
I can see security applications for this, if you hear a noise from the back yard you could switch a few lights on to make it look like you're going to investigate, which may put off an intruder (if it is one as it's probably a cat) without getting out of bed ;D

BG

mrboojay

View Posts
View Gallery

I love bulbs of all types.

mrboojay UC2tpasJaLc8IhVdjcDkI_3A mrboojay mrboojays_pics
Re: Philips Hue LED Lighting System « Reply #10 on: May 30, 2013, 09:46:57 PM » Author: mrboojay
They have a new one, Phillips Hue 1.1!

Phillips Hue 1.1

It looks really nice!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 09:48:41 PM by mrboojay » Logged

-mrboojay
My lighting-gallery.net Gallery
My YouTube Channel

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies