Author Topic: Cree LED Lamps  (Read 2855 times)
Patrick
Webmaster

View Posts
View Gallery

LightingGallery
Cree LED Lamps « on: March 17, 2013, 03:18:50 PM » Author: Patrick
Cree has introduced their own lineup of LED bulbs, available or soon to be available at Home Depot stores.  They are priced at under $10 and it sounds like they are being assembled in Durham, NC.  Most of the LED bulbs I've seen so far are either expensive or have lackluster performance.  I haven't tried one of these, but they look like they could be quite good, provided you don't require more than 800 lumens.  Unlike most LED lamps on the market, the bulb itself is made of shatter-resistant glass rather than plastic.

On a related note, the prices of comparable Philips lamps has dropped.  The 12.5W / 800lm lamp is currently $12.97, the 10W / 940lm lamp is $14.97, and the 11W / 830lm lamp is $24.97.  The last one is the newest model and the original AmbientLED and L-Prize lamps probably have been or will be discontinued.  I don't see any benefit to the new version, especially with the L-Prize bulb being so cheap.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 09:01:43 PM by Patrick » Logged

Patrick C., Administrator
Lighting-Gallery.net

toomanybulbs

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Cree LED Lamps « Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 03:46:06 PM » Author: toomanybulbs
no rating for cri though.
only thing that stopped me from drawing the plastic and hitting the buy button.
if those 5000k have good cri then im in.
marcopete87

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Cree LED Lamps « Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 06:12:12 PM » Author: marcopete87
The 12.5W / 800lm lamp is currently $12.97, the 10W / 940lm lamp is $14.97, and the 11W / 830lm lamp is $24.97.

i see 24+$ in your links  ???
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 09:02:20 PM by Patrick » Logged
Patrick
Webmaster

View Posts
View Gallery

LightingGallery
Re: Cree LED Lamps « Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 09:04:56 PM » Author: Patrick
i see 24+$ in your links  ???

Yeah, it appears that prices of the Philips lamps vary by location, and the older models are not available for online purchase.

Patrick C., Administrator
Lighting-Gallery.net

Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: Cree LED Lamps « Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 11:11:38 PM » Author: Silverliner
i read that cree's goal is to get rid of every single incandescent!

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Cree LED Lamps « Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 09:14:16 PM » Author: ace100w120v
Personally I think that that's a good goal from the standpoint of an LED lamp manufacturer.  In my opinion LED is the wave of the future; it just needs to be perfected more than it is.  However, there are some applications where incandescent lamps do better...
Eventually I want all the places in my house with spiral CFLs to have LEDs...but there will still be lots of linear florescent in my house too!
BG101

View Posts
View Gallery

EYE H80 Mercury Vapour

Brian TheTellyman
Re: Cree LED Lamps « Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 03:51:27 PM » Author: BG101
The most-used lighting in my house is linear fluorescent (T4, T5, T8 & T12), HID (usually mercury vapour), SOX (the 18W on the landing has now clocked up about 6 months' almost continuous use!) and GLS with a few halogen GLS substitutes. There are still a few CFLs fitted but they are rarely used now as the SOX has taken over from the ones on the middle floor, except for the one in the lamp in the back room downstairs which operates on a timer. The poor quality/reliability of modern CFLs has put me off them, I'll only buy decent branded ones in future.

I haven't yet tried any LED lighting at home apart from the Christmas light string.

BG

Say NO to DICTATORSHIP in the form of bulb/tube/ballast bans !!

Luminaire

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Cree LED Lamps « Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 06:04:23 PM » Author: Luminaire
http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/36/36f3e188-bdb8-40ac-a7ad-ef9ae6c129b6.pdf

That's the latest. If can't find it where you are, let me know. I can pick them up for you.
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Cree LED Lamps « Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 06:51:50 PM » Author: joseph_125
The Home Depots in Canada have also started selling them recently. They only have two versions though, a 5000K 80 CRI 9w one for $15 CAD rated at 800 lumens and a 2700K 80 CRI 6w rated at 450 lumens. Not sure how the other one costs though.

The Philips LED bulbs are still selling for more or less their original price though.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies