Author Topic: unknown sodium arc tube  (Read 1602 times)
marcopete87

View Posts
View Gallery

unknown sodium arc tube « on: July 01, 2013, 06:58:20 PM » Author: marcopete87
Hi all, saturday i recovered an sodium arc tube.
now, i tested it 1/2 min. with 70W CDM HF ballast and light.
because i don't know anything about it, is it safe to use without glass cover?
it is 10cm long (more o less), can it be an 400W model?
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: unknown sodium arc tube « Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 07:16:15 PM » Author: Ash
"more or less" could be a 600w too, maybe 1000w (depending how much more is more). Where did you find it - look what lamps are in use around that place....

It can emit UV (it does contain mercury and starting gasses) so view it through glass only. If you power it for long avoid breathing the o3 it might make

Electronic HID ballsts may be sensitive to being connected to hthe wrong load, so carefull not to damage your 70w ballast - better use it on a magnet. Anyway dont use fluorescent HF ballast as it may damage the arctube
marcopete87

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: unknown sodium arc tube « Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 02:06:35 AM » Author: marcopete87
"more or less" could be a 600w too, maybe 1000w (depending how much more is more). Where did you find it - look what lamps are in use around that place....

It can emit UV (it does contain mercury and starting gasses) so view it through glass only. If you power it for long avoid breathing the o3 it might make

Electronic HID ballsts may be sensitive to being connected to hthe wrong load, so carefull not to damage your 70w ballast - better use it on a magnet. Anyway dont use fluorescent HF ballast as it may damage the arctube

i revocered it, because one "person with too much brain" had put some E40 lamps on glass recycle bin and, during monitoring service on scrapeyard, i discovered he put on it a lot of lamps (5MH, a lot of T5 and a HPS) that results were broken, because he didn't put them on lamp receycle bin that was 5m far >:(

i think it don't have mercury, because it don't emit O3 smell
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: unknown sodium arc tube « Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 05:13:09 AM » Author: dor123
HPS made from hard glass, so onlt the UV-A pass.
HPS lamps produces much less UV than mercury lamps, provided the mercury emission don't exhibit dominance in the spectrum (Redded out HPS lamp, that is bluish mercury at most of the running-up time period).
The wattage of the lamp is written on the lamp printing.
HF operation can causes the arc of HID lamps to become unstable (What called "acoustic resonances"), so thats why HID electronic ballast operates HID lamps at LF square wave current.
Mercury don't emit ozone. Ozone can only be produced by short wave UV radiation with wavelengths below 240nm or by a corona discharge.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

marcopete87

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: unknown sodium arc tube « Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 08:03:57 AM » Author: marcopete87
HPS made from hard glass, so onlt the UV-A pass.
HPS lamps produces much less UV than mercury lamps, provided the mercury emission don't exhibit dominance in the spectrum (Redded out HPS lamp, that is bluish mercury at most of the running-up time period).
The wattage of the lamp is written on the lamp printing.
HF operation can causes the arc of HID lamps to become unstable (What called "acoustic resonances"), so thats why HID electronic ballast operates HID lamps at LF square wave current.
Mercury don't emit ozone. Ozone can only be produced by short wave UV radiation with wavelengths below 240nm or by a corona discharge.

i have only arc tube!  :(

however, i noticed that some O3 is generated, but because an broken contact in the base of arc tube, i think i'll use this lamp as paperweight.
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: unknown sodium arc tube « Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 08:53:40 AM » Author: dor123
Don't operate bare arctubes without UV protection. This can cause skin and eye burns/blindness.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

marcopete87

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: unknown sodium arc tube « Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 10:32:12 AM » Author: marcopete87
Don't operate bare arctubes without UV protection. This can cause skin and eye burns/blindness.

ok
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies