Author Topic: Streetlighting in Detroit  (Read 5150 times)
lightboy90

View Posts
View Gallery

Streetlighting in Detroit « on: July 19, 2013, 05:56:46 AM » Author: lightboy90
Hey everybody!

Today i heared in the News here in Austria that Detroit couldn't pay the Streetlighting and more than 40% (!) of the Streetlights doesn't works.
Is it really so bad? Does somebody know if it is really so bad?

Best regards!

Patrick
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Streetlighting in Detroit « Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 03:35:58 PM » Author: Medved

What I have read, it is by far not only streetlights, Detroit's cash dried out and the city went bankrupt...

No more selfballasted c***

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Streetlighting in Detroit « Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 01:59:49 AM » Author: dor123
So detroit will turn to cities and local councils like Tirat Carmel, Yeruham and Kiryat Ata? (In Kiryat Ata, usually repairing existing lanterns [Koffer 150], and only rarly replacing lanterns. Two crushed lampposts, in Zebulun main street, replaced, but the Koffer 150 of the former, installed on the new ones).

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Streetlighting in Detroit « Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 06:03:11 AM » Author: Ash
A city worker's decision on repairing one or other streetlight does not in any way reflect on the city's wealth. If a city is bankrupt this is going far beyond lighting

The cities you mentioned some are in fairly good condition, others are in bad condition for reasons like corruption or the like but i doubt any city in Israel is in a condition like Detroit
Lampwizard

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Streetlighting in Detroit « Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 02:41:35 PM » Author: Lampwizard
Yes, it is pretty bad in Detroit, also when it comes to street lighting:

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130621/METRO01/306210112

Philips colour 27: best fluorescent tube colour.

don93s

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Streetlighting in Detroit « Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 09:29:00 PM » Author: don93s
Last time I've been through there in the past year it looked pretty bad. They have quite a variety of different kinds of street-lighting aside from the really old tear-drop fixtures that were retrofitted many decades ago to MV (almost all of those are clear lamp). Many fixtures are now dark....I don't know the numbers but yeah it seems like in some areas more than half aren't lit anymore.
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Streetlighting in Detroit « Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 01:08:52 AM » Author: Medved
Yes, it is pretty bad in Detroit, also when it comes to street lighting:

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130621/METRO01/306210112

Well, in the article was presented one huge disadvantage of magnetic ballasts: They contain a lot of copper, so attract copper thieves...

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Streetlighting in Detroit « Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 05:16:40 AM » Author: Ash
Indeed, on the other side, magnetic+mercury is one of the setups most likely to survive neglect like there for the longest time while still providing some light.....

And if ballasts are installed in the lanterns and not in the column door then they won't be as easy target - though the wiring still is, maybe that should go up too...
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 05:18:57 AM by Ash » Logged
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Streetlighting in Detroit « Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 10:46:53 AM » Author: Medved
The report say, they are dealing with both ballast, as well as bulb thefts, so I don't think the fixture mounted ballast woudl be safe from the thieves...

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Streetlighting in Detroit « Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 11:16:14 AM » Author: Ash
If they reach that high for stealing why not just chop down a complete column for once ?

But the stolen lamps dont look like they are going for recycling - i guess pot greenhouses
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Streetlighting in Detroit « Reply #10 on: August 23, 2013, 02:11:00 PM » Author: Medved
Greenhouse with only one, not really legal, specie of "vegetables". But from that even the electronic ballasts would not be safe - these thieves want working setup and don't care if there is the copper or not...

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Streetlighting in Detroit « Reply #11 on: August 23, 2013, 05:04:12 PM » Author: Ash
Exactly... There comes the extent how far you can go to protect the lights....

Make it simple incandescents (so useless for both greenhouses or metal harvestin), then the metal dudes will go for the wiring of the columns instead and it still won't work.....
Alights

View Posts
View Gallery

USA (120V 60HZ)

Re: Streetlighting in Detroit « Reply #12 on: September 01, 2013, 10:09:58 AM » Author: Alights
Depends on where you go in Detroit,  down town is safe and has almost all lights working and the police actually function there,  and the rest of the city is kinda dark, the east side by far the worst, everything is burnt down and abandoned,  not many lights left there either
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Streetlighting in Detroit « Reply #13 on: September 01, 2013, 10:35:56 AM » Author: Ash
Left as in existing or as in working
funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Streetlighting in Detroit « Reply #14 on: September 01, 2013, 01:02:59 PM » Author: funkybulb
Well they can use alternative aluminum wire, which is less attractive to Theif. What make it bad is series ballast longer made and  series incandescent lamp same way.  It making me wonder  the ballast is coming from other cities to keep those series circuit going.

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies