Author Topic: 1992 GE Compax preheat CFL  (Read 3848 times)
themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

themaritimegirl themaritimegirl themaritimegirl
1992 GE Compax preheat CFL « on: January 18, 2014, 09:15:27 PM » Author: themaritimegirl
A friend of mine on YouTube (same one with the weird "Trisonic" incandescent light bulbs) recently found a possibly NOS GE Compax bulb, complete in box with original sales receipt dated 1992. Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxMvKJN_bZs

Trent

Electrical Engineering Graduate
YouTube | Twitter | Instagram

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 1992 GE Compax preheat CFL « Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 01:56:23 AM » Author: RyanF40T12
heh I remember those.  They put out a lot of interference on the AM radio band. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 1992 GE Compax preheat CFL « Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 02:33:41 AM » Author: Medved
Around $30 or even more in today dollars, well pretty expensive thing...

No more selfballasted c***

themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

Re: 1992 GE Compax preheat CFL « Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 01:11:51 PM » Author: themaritimegirl
I imagine the interference isn't nearly as bad as with electronic ballasts, though?

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 1992 GE Compax preheat CFL « Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 03:01:37 PM » Author: Medved
I imagine the interference isn't nearly as bad as with electronic ballasts, though?

It is not that straight forward.
The electronic ballasts are usually designed with the RF disturbance in mind (it does not mean there are any special components for that, just well chosen topology is way more efficient than tons of additional filters), but usually eliminating the problems from the lamp itself (no reignition)
With the magnetic preheat it strongly depend on the lamp itself. Some tend to form quite powerful RF oscillator, some don't, sometimes a capacitor parallel to the starter may help,...
Generally the "problem maker" with low frequency ballasts is the reignition after the current zero crossing, while the HF drive does not suffer from that problem at all.

themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

Re: 1992 GE Compax preheat CFL « Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 03:21:45 PM » Author: themaritimegirl
Interesting, I didn't know lamps themselves could create RF interference. It makes sense, though.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 1992 GE Compax preheat CFL « Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 03:54:51 PM » Author: Medved
Spark gap oscillator...

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies