Author Topic: Great!  (Read 8404 times)
themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

themaritimegirl themaritimegirl themaritimegirl
Great! « on: February 03, 2014, 02:06:47 PM » Author: themaritimegirl
Thanks Patrick et al for doing this! I think it'll be a welcome addition to the site. Hopefully a portion of the off-topic photos that are being posted in recent times can be directed here, instead.

I'll make this post a little relevant by stating that I am also interested in vintage audio and video equipment (TVs, radios and stereos, audiotape and videotape machines, etc.), vintage calculators, computers, and GPS receivers, vintage cellular phones, and certain types of radio communication such as CB and amateur radio (wouldn't mind getting my license someday). I also like older cars, the design of older houses (especially around the turn of the 19th/20th centuries), and yes, even the occasional washing machine.  ;D

Trent
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 02:09:41 PM by TheMaritimeMan » Logged

Electrical Engineering Graduate
YouTube | Twitter | Instagram

ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Great! « Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 10:09:23 PM » Author: ace100w120v
I'm also interested in vintage stereo tuners/amps, as well as vintage radios in general! I'm fairly "multipurpose" and have lots of interests.  I collect glass insulators, too!
themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

Re: Great! « Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 10:33:37 PM » Author: themaritimegirl
Multipurpose - that's a good term for it. I also missed a rather large one, vintage fans! And that also includes fan-forced heaters.  ;D

ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Great! « Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 01:14:57 PM » Author: ace100w120v
I'm not a "fan" of fans, but I have many other interests...
Foxtronix

View Posts
View Gallery

Formerly "TiCoune66". Also known here as Vince.

GoL UCs4tSgJSCoCIMGThBuaePhA
Re: Great! « Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 10:29:06 PM » Author: Foxtronix

Couldn't resist xD

DetroitTwoStroke

View Posts
View Gallery

Luke

Re: Great! « Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 01:15:08 AM » Author: DetroitTwoStroke
I'm not trying to fan the fire, but I guess some people like to fan out their interests. :D

Pride and quality workmanship should lie behind manufacturing, not greed.

mrboojay

View Posts
View Gallery

I love bulbs of all types.

mrboojay UC2tpasJaLc8IhVdjcDkI_3A mrboojay mrboojays_pics
Re: Great! « Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 01:42:04 AM » Author: mrboojay
This is cool, and I like the replies above in this topic!  :D

I also have interests in anything having to do with audio, visual and video (I guess the two are separate when talking on different subjects, like TV verses stage performances), including lights (imagine that).  When it comes to TVs and computer monitors CRTs are my favorite and I would use them everyday if I had the space.  I also have some interests in fans as well.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 01:44:15 AM by mrboojay » Logged

-mrboojay
My lighting-gallery.net Gallery
My YouTube Channel

BG101

View Posts
View Gallery

EYE H80 Mercury Vapour

Brian TheTellyman
Re: Great! « Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 04:18:21 PM » Author: BG101
My interests other than lighting technology are vintage TV and audio/hi-fi gear, my stereo kit is mostly early 1990s but with the additions of a first-generation Philips CD recorder in the late 1990s(?) (will have to check when these came out) and, recently, the Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD combi player which is connected to the Power Amp Direct terminals on the amp and provides excellent audio and video.

I have a modest collection of valve and early transistor TVs, several as ongoing projects and one or two usually being used or on display somewhere in the house, including a few Sony TV9-90 sets from serviceable to pretty good condition. A bit of clever modern electronics provides my old sets with 405-line pictures on several channels (so I can change channels with the TV's own tuner) .. the plan is to reuse the existing cabling I put in a dozen or so years ago to distribute analogue TV round the house to provide decent signals in every room, it's good quality double screened stuff.

I currently have feeds in the loft and back rooms providing both 405-line and 625-line signals to my analogue sets and it's all connected to the satellite/DVD/Blu-Ray kit; the latter two have basic internet capability (online music and video, catch-up TV, iPlayer etc.) so I can watch all this stuff on a 1960s set if I want to! Remote repeaters are also useful ..

Photography is also a keen interest, I have quite a few photos from my travels, mostly just local scenes and some of the local wildlife where I was lucky enough to see some and lots of architecture and stuff, I love old buildings and am fortunate enough to live in one myself, even if there are a few repairs which I need to do.

Anyway enough of my ramblings ..!

BG

Say NO to DICTATORSHIP in the form of bulb/tube/ballast bans !!

mrboojay

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Great! « Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 11:19:27 AM » Author: mrboojay
Quote from: BG101
I have a modest collection of valve and early transistor TVs, several as ongoing projects and one or two usually being used or on display somewhere in the house, including a few Sony TV9-90 sets from serviceable to pretty good condition. A bit of clever modern electronics provides my old sets with 405-line pictures on several channels (so I can change channels with the TV's own tuner) .. the plan is to reuse the existing cabling I put in a dozen or so years ago to distribute analogue TV round the house to provide decent signals in every room, it's good quality double screened stuff.

I currently have feeds in the loft and back rooms providing both 405-line and 625-line signals to my analogue sets and it's all connected to the satellite/DVD/Blu-Ray kit; the latter two have basic internet capability (online music and video, catch-up TV, iPlayer etc.) so I can watch all this stuff on a 1960s set if I want to! Remote repeaters are also useful ..

Wow that is amazing BG!  I have never heard of that kind of a setup!  How in the world were you able to get Blu-Ray player to analog over the air (at least it is what it sounds like you did).

-mrboojay
My YouTube Channel

BG101

View Posts
View Gallery

EYE H80 Mercury Vapour

Brian TheTellyman
Re: Great! « Reply #9 on: May 17, 2014, 02:37:31 PM » Author: BG101
It's linked via the DVD/VHS combi recorder; the composite output from this is fed to one of the Aurora converters (as are the two Echostar receivers which provide BBC-1 and ITV) and I'm also adding a standalone modulator to provide unconverted 625-line signals (the Sky receiver has its own modulator which is also combined with the feed as do the two Echostars, but the distributed signal from the DVD/VHS is presently 405-only, except in the loft on the main TV, as the DVD combi doesn't have an RF output) .. it is a bit naughty but a "leaky feeder" on the high level outputs of the distrubution amp does provide off-air signals in the immediate vicinity so my hand-held (pocket) TVs will work around the house!

It's also really handy being able to record YouTube videos straight on to DVD (or even VHS if I choose to) as there are some rare tracks which don't appear to be available to buy.

I'll have to do a diagram of the setup and post it here later, it's not easy to describe it.

To summarize if I can; I have the Echostars and output from the DVD combi (feeds from Sky box, Blu-Ray and motorized satellite system, also anything else I plug in the front) on VHF 405-lines (Ch B6, B8 and B10 respectively) and the Echostars (BBC-1 and ITV) and Sky receiver on 625-lines at the top end of the UHF band, soon to add a modulator to the DVD combi to give 625-line signals on Ch E12 which means I'll have all the sources in both standards. This lot is also connected to my amp so I can have decent sound reproduction for films, music etc..

BG

Say NO to DICTATORSHIP in the form of bulb/tube/ballast bans !!

mrboojay

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Great! « Reply #10 on: May 17, 2014, 04:09:07 PM » Author: mrboojay
Wow, that is awesome!  I wish I had a setup like that here. :)  Being able to have portable TVs working wih your home equipment is pretty cool.

-mrboojay
My YouTube Channel

DieselNut

View Posts
View Gallery

John

jonathon.graves johng917 GeorgiaJohn
Re: Great! « Reply #11 on: May 28, 2014, 04:03:39 PM » Author: DieselNut
As many of yall know (and the user name gives it away), I love diesel power.  I have repowered several pieces of equipment that I could not get new equipped with a diesel engine.  I have a 4000 PSI pressure washer, 2" water pump, Huskee firewood splitter, and Champion air compressor all powered by Yanmar air cooled single cylinder engines.  I have two Robin 3500 watt diesel generators, a Miller Bobcat 250 welder/generator with Kubota 3 cylinder liquid cooled engine, Kubota riding mower with the same 3 cylinder engine as the welder/generator and a Kubota M9000 4x4 cab farm tractor with loader.  My trucks are 1996 and 2003 Dodge 3500s with the 5.9 liter Cummins engines.  I have some spare engines for future projects too, including a L48 and L75 Yanmar, a 750 V twin liquid cooled Yanmar vertical shaft and a  well used Kubota 600 cc inline 2 cyl liquid cooled, as well as a Cummins 5.9 that needs overhaul.

Preheat Fluorescents forever!
I love diesel engines, rural/farm life and vintage lighting!

themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

Re: Great! « Reply #12 on: May 28, 2014, 04:20:02 PM » Author: themaritimegirl
And not a single Detroit? Tsk tsk.  ;)

Which reminds me, I also have a minor interest in transit buses (accidentally discovered when I was forced to begin using the city buses to get to school), specifically the GM buses and their descendants from MCI and Nova Bus, such as the Classic and RTS.

DetroitTwoStroke

View Posts
View Gallery

Luke

Re: Great! « Reply #13 on: May 29, 2014, 01:20:01 AM » Author: DetroitTwoStroke
The bus in Speed (1994) was a GM New Look powered by a Detroit Diesel. ;D

Pride and quality workmanship should lie behind manufacturing, not greed.

DieselNut

View Posts
View Gallery

John

jonathon.graves johng917 GeorgiaJohn
Re: Great! « Reply #14 on: June 02, 2014, 02:36:15 PM » Author: DieselNut
I would love to find a one, two, three or four cylinder Detroit!

Preheat Fluorescents forever!
I love diesel engines, rural/farm life and vintage lighting!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies