Author Topic: 1941 Westinghouse RF fluorescent fixture - WANTED - non working ok  (Read 5861 times)
Larry

View Posts
View Gallery

Rated PG 17

1941 Westinghouse RF fluorescent fixture - WANTED - non working ok « on: February 06, 2014, 10:58:00 PM » Author: Larry
I am looking for a 1939 to 1942 Westinghouse RF type fluorescent light fixture or parts.
I do believe the 1939 to 1942 models are similar in construction as long as they are the RF (rectified fluorescent) type.

http://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=2949&pos=7&pid=83585

http://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=2949&pos=8&pid=83584

The condition of the parts are not too important and rust is not a problem as long as there is enough material there to take dimensions and obtain details of construction.
It does not have to operate or have any wiring as it will be used as a pattern only.
A bulb plug would be nice to have as a pattern though.

But I do need all the metal parts and bulb clips for patterns.

I plan to make a reproduction of this fixture as a prototype for evaluation as to possibly make reproductions of this fixture using modern electrical components for sale in the future.

I have no plans to restore the fixture, so I am only interested in all the metal parts and its construction only.
Of course the more of the fixture there is the better.

I would like to buy a fixture if possible or if not I can pay for insured shipping both ways for anyone that would like to loan out a fixture or parts of a fixture.

When I am finished making all critical measurements, ship it back to you.
Plus a payment for the use of the fixture.

Please let me know if you have a 1940 to 1942 Westinghouse RF type fixture for sale or to rent out.

Serious cash buyer here.
I will pay up to one thousand dollars for a intact fixture.

It does not have to work, but must have all the metal parts and not be bent up.
Rust and or minor dents ok.
Cosmetics not important.
If it were to be listed on E bay for sale, instant Pay Pal payment is available.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Thanks

« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 03:23:54 AM by Larry » Logged

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's GE Power Groove

DieselNut

View Posts
View Gallery

John

jonathon.graves johng917 GeorgiaJohn
Re: Looking for 1941 Westinghouse RF type fluoreresent fixture or parts « Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 11:40:07 AM » Author: DieselNut
When you say you are going to use "modern" parts, you do not mean HF/Electronic ballast, do you?  :o

Preheat Fluorescents forever!
I love diesel engines, rural/farm life and vintage lighting!

themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

themaritimegirl themaritimegirl themaritimegirl
Re: Looking for 1941 Westinghouse RF type fluoreresent fixture or parts « Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 05:59:50 PM » Author: themaritimegirl
Sounds like a cool project to me, if you can find one of those incredibly rare fixtures. Regarding ballasts, I assume electronic is indeed the only way to go for non-standard lamps like that. No problem as long as you use a high quality one. Programmed start would be the way to go, unless the original fixtures were instant start and you want to replicate that.

Electrical Engineering Graduate
YouTube | Twitter | Instagram

Larry

View Posts
View Gallery

Rated PG 17

Re: Wanted - 1941 Westinghouse RF type fixture, need not be working « Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 06:19:29 PM » Author: Larry
Sounds like a cool project to me, if you can find one of those incredibly rare fixtures. Regarding ballasts, I assume electronic is indeed the only way to go for non-standard lamps like that. No problem as long as you use a high quality one. Programmed start would be the way to go, unless the original fixtures were instant start and you want to replicate that.

They are around, I know as I have actually seen one in person a long time ago.
I don't care what it looks like as long as it is not too beat or bent up so as not to obtain good dimensions and some detail.

These were originally kind of a preheat type Westinghouse fixture, actually a mercury rectifier (RF) in a glass tube internally coated with phosphorus.
It had a special ballast with a big starting relay arrangement.

The bulbs were 85 watt T10 58 inch long not 60 inches long with really strange internals that had a filament on one end only and two carbon electrodes on the other end.
One end had a two prong plug like a electric socket and the other end had a three prong plug so it only fit in the fixture one way.
The RF lighting program was originally started by GE and Westinghouse sort of tagged along later with their RF offering.

Another odd feature of these fixtures is that the bulbs were three inches lower on the anode end than the cathode end. :o
It seems the reason is because the mercury needs to drain back down to the anode end, so that end is lower.
The bulbs were position sensitive.

The whole GE RF fixture was tilted at a angle to one end and had to be installed that way to work correctly.
The Westinghouse RF fixture was installed level, but the bulb holders were lower on one end than the other to make the bulbs 3 inches lower on one end. 

The development of the RF lighting by GE was going on at the same time that the other more common fluorescent lighting development was going on.
At some point in the 1940s, the plug was pulled on the GE RF lighting program.
No reason given, but the 100 watt T17 bulb and the RF bulb had about the same light output and of course was not position sensitive.

But they did put out a lot of light for the time.
And they were instant starting.
Kind of the VHO fixture of 1939 to 1942 and they made many thousands of them during the war for aircraft plants.

One aircraft plant alone had over 17,000 of them! :o

I have some pictures, but you can't really be accurate just using pictures.

Sometimes museums loan out items for replication or to use for show.
They loan out pictures and statues all the time.
A electrical museum might loan out a light fixture also.

I need to buy one or rent one for a while. ;D
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 01:18:10 PM by Larry » Logged

Larry

View Posts
View Gallery

Rated PG 17

Re: 1941 Westinghouse RF fluorescent fixture - WANTED - non working ok « Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 10:59:53 AM » Author: Larry
Still looking for this fixture. ???

I am now offering up to two thousand dollars for a Westinghouse Rectified Fluorescent (RF) fixture.

It does not have to work, but must have all the metal fixture parts and be in somewhat reasonable condition so that a correct reproduction of it can be made.
Rust, dings/dents ok.

Thanks  :D

RichD

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 1941 Westinghouse RF fluorescent fixture - WANTED - non working ok « Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 07:42:24 PM » Author: RichD
Larry, if you find any extras, please let me know. I'd love one too. (Although I'm not sure my pockets are as deep as yours... ???)
Larry

View Posts
View Gallery

Rated PG 17

Re: 1941 Westinghouse RF fluorescent fixture - WANTED - non working ok « Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 08:10:55 PM » Author: Larry
Larry, if you find any extras, please let me know. I'd love one too. (Although I'm not sure my pockets are as deep as yours... ???)

I don't have deep pockets, but do expect to make up for it when selling reproductions of the Westinghouse RF fixture.
A friend of mine has a sheet metal shop and told me if it is made of sheet metal, he can make a exact reproduction and as many as I need.
But finding one for a pattern has been difficult so far.
But I am still looking. :D 

veryhighonoutput

View Posts
View Gallery

T12

Re: 1941 Westinghouse RF fluorescent fixture - WANTED - non working ok « Reply #7 on: June 20, 2016, 08:57:46 PM » Author: veryhighonoutput
I got a bunch of 1971HO fixtures if that helps

T12/ t17 there's a reason they made heavy magnetic ballasts

Memorex_Telex
Re: 1941 Westinghouse RF fluorescent fixture - WANTED - non working ok « Reply #8 on: April 03, 2018, 07:50:17 PM » Author: Memorex_Telex
Hi Larry, I would like to get in contact with you about obtaining some of the Westinghouse 85 Watt Rectified Fluorescent Luminaries. I am not interested in money but would like to meet with you and pay a visit to the abandoned property which I believe still has several dozen of these installed. If you have a phone number or private e-mail I would be interested in talking to you.
Lindon_Shaun@hotmail.com
-Shaun L.
veryhighonoutput

View Posts
View Gallery

T12

Re: 1941 Westinghouse RF fluorescent fixture - WANTED - non working ok « Reply #9 on: April 20, 2019, 03:49:49 PM » Author: veryhighonoutput
I'd pay 5k!

Memorex_Telex
Re: 1941 Westinghouse RF fluorescent fixture - WANTED - non working ok « Reply #10 on: May 07, 2019, 02:02:15 PM » Author: Memorex_Telex
Anyone still on this band wagon? I’m not very partial to the rectified fixture I still have. Thinking about selling it.
vintagefluorescent

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 1941 Westinghouse RF fluorescent fixture - WANTED - non working ok « Reply #11 on: May 07, 2019, 04:26:03 PM » Author: vintagefluorescent
thats A nice light , I’m interested but it looks like some members are willing to pay Thousands of dollars or You could put the light on eBay ,

Anyone still on this band wagon? I’m not very partial to the rectified fixture I still have. Thinking about selling it.
veryhighonoutput

View Posts
View Gallery

T12

Re: 1941 Westinghouse RF fluorescent fixture - WANTED - non working ok « Reply #12 on: September 16, 2019, 09:26:01 PM » Author: veryhighonoutput
Im actually still on the band wagon. But maybe not for 5k i may have to eat those words back sorry

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies