Author Topic: A odd ballast I found in the junk pile  (Read 2701 times)
Larry

View Posts
View Gallery

Rated PG 17

A odd ballast I found in the junk pile « on: February 12, 2014, 11:56:00 PM » Author: Larry
Back about 1975 I found a new ballast in the junk pile at work.
It was still in the box.
I don't remember the brand but it was a 120 volt two 40 watt rapid start ballast that was longer than a normal ballast.

But it said it was a special ballast that was to be used with a special wall control so the bulbs could be turned up or down.
I had it for many years, but tossed it one day as I never could find the special control it worked with.
I tried using it without the special control and it did not work.
There was two or three extra wires out of the ballast that went to the missing control.
Maybe this was why it was in the junk pile in the first place. ;)

Has anyone seen one of these and know how they work?
Are these still available?

Something I did not think about was that may be special bulbs are required, I just assumed that any 40 watt bulb would work.
I don't remember the label saying anything about the bulbs, only that the special control must be used with the ballast.

Ut oh!!! :o

I just noticed that this section is for modern fixtures 1980 and newer.
Sorry I am getting old.
1975 is modern to me. :D
Please let me know and I will delete this.

I am still trying to figure out how to program my VCR. ;D

« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 01:10:32 AM by Larry » Logged

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's GE Power Groove

nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

GoL the.baus.of.all.bauses UCDl2EWWZc9h1IZXcfGU9OZA nicksfans
Re: A odd ballast I found in the junk pile « Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 04:36:11 PM » Author: nicksfans
There are dimming ballasts, but I've never seen or heard of one that old.

I like my lamps thick, my ballasts heavy, and my fixtures tough.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

Larry

View Posts
View Gallery

Rated PG 17

Re: A odd ballast I found in the junk pile « Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 01:47:24 PM » Author: Larry
There are dimming ballasts, but I've never seen or heard of one that old.

I am sure it was 1975 or 1976 so I would say the ballast had to be older, but I don't remember the manufacturers name.
I seem to remember it was longer than a standard 40 watt ballast and had extra wires for the special control.
I have been looking around on the web, but have been unable to locate one like it so far.

I know they make newer ones like this.
which one would be recommended?

I think Wal Mart uses these in conjunction with sky lights. So when the sun is bright the fixtures dim down and then at night return to full brightness. Or somewhere in between.

I would guess this saves energy. ;)

« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 01:55:56 PM by Larry » Logged

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: A odd ballast I found in the junk pile « Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 01:04:03 AM » Author: Medved
Today the only dimmable ballasts are the electronic, vast majority controlled either by the "1..10V" analog or the "DALI" digital interface.
I would guess all major ballast makers carry both types for at least the most common lamps in given market area (so for you it will be F32T8, I guess).

And indeed, the light management systems you described are intended to save the energy.

No more selfballasted c***

Larry

View Posts
View Gallery

Rated PG 17

Re: A odd ballast I found in the junk pile « Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 02:03:47 PM » Author: Larry
Today the only dimmable ballasts are the electronic, vast majority controlled either by the "1..10V" analog or the "DALI" digital interface.
I would guess all major ballast makers carry both types for at least the most common lamps in given market area (so for you it will be F32T8, I guess).

And indeed, the light management systems you described are intended to save the energy.

It is odd to go into the local Walmart and see how this works.
Sometimes during the day the lamps are almost out, but not quite.
Just real dim.
Might as well use the sun when you can.
At least it is free (so far anyway) ::)

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: A odd ballast I found in the junk pile « Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 12:38:12 AM » Author: Medved
It is there just to utilize the sun, whenever it shines. First time I've met this system in Paige AZ in 2003, it really seemed to work well (it was in November, so some clouds were going around, so the lamp brightness really changed pretty frequently).

No more selfballasted c***

DieselNut

View Posts
View Gallery

John

jonathon.graves johng917 GeorgiaJohn
Re: A odd ballast I found in the junk pile « Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 10:39:06 AM » Author: DieselNut
Larry, I have six of the ballasts you describe, as well as a dimmer control for them.  Wiring is a bit complex and it would obviously have to have been done at the time of installation.  Here is a photo of one of the ballasts:
http://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-43335
And here it is in comparison to a "standard" ballast:
http://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-43336

Preheat Fluorescents forever!
I love diesel engines, rural/farm life and vintage lighting!

Larry

View Posts
View Gallery

Rated PG 17

Re: A odd ballast I found in the junk pile « Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 11:24:36 AM » Author: Larry
Hi Diesel,

Yes this is what the ballast looked like.
That is the first thing I noticed was it was longer than a normal rapid start ballast.
It was in 1975 because I remember where I was working at the time when I found it in the scrap pile.
I worked there October 1974 to May 1975.
Gee I am getting old. ;D

Your ballast collection is impressive :D
I have learned so much here.
And learn more every day.

DieselNut

View Posts
View Gallery

John

jonathon.graves johng917 GeorgiaJohn
Re: A odd ballast I found in the junk pile « Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 11:52:57 AM » Author: DieselNut
Thanks!  I am definitely a pack rat!  I like vintage "stuff", but especially fluorescent lighting.

Preheat Fluorescents forever!
I love diesel engines, rural/farm life and vintage lighting!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies