Author Topic: Where to cut?  (Read 1797 times)
Larry

View Posts
View Gallery

Rated PG 17

Where to cut? « on: March 26, 2014, 12:20:57 AM » Author: Larry
I am looking at this fixture below.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LITHONIA-AF-2-96T8HO-MVOLT-GEB10PS-Industrial-Fluorescent-Fixture-96T8HO-/331134670738?fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

What my plan is (I think) is to cut out three foot out of the fixture and make a custom fixture out of it for two F90T17s using the correct ballast.

Since T17 bulb holders are rare, I will make custom bulb holder using the turret bulb holders of this fixture.
But I wonder where the best place to cut out three feet is?
I know other people here have cut down fixtures before and I hope I can gain some insight from them.
I do want it to look nice (as I can) and if successful, make a You Tube video to show others how to do it.

The reflector has those slots I don't like much and they may not lineup with the cut.

http://www.zorotools.com/g/Low%20Bay%20Fluorescent%20Industrial%20and%20Shop%20Lights%20Heavy-Duty/00055625/None

It looks like this is the only fixture available with the turret ends, but it has the slots in the reflector.

I would like to find out my mistakes now before I go ahead and make them anyway. ::)  
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 06:07:31 PM by Larry » Logged

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's GE Power Groove

Larry

View Posts
View Gallery

Rated PG 17

Re: See what happens « Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 06:06:13 PM » Author: Larry
I bought this fixture below today.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LITHONIA-AF-2-96T8HO-MVOLT-GEB10PS-Industrial-Fluorescent-Fixture-96T8HO-/331134670738?fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

I am going to attempt to turn it into a double F90T17 fixture.
I don't know what's going to happen :o.
I will list project updates here as this project clunks along in case anyone else here wants to give it a try.
If it don't work out I will still have new a 96T8HO ballast and new bulb holders out of the deal. ;D
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 07:24:43 PM by Larry » Logged

DieselNut

View Posts
View Gallery

John

jonathon.graves johng917 GeorgiaJohn
Re: Where to cut? « Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 12:12:35 PM » Author: DieselNut
Pretty cheesie that the new HO light is only rated for a minimum of 50 degrees F!  The good ole magnetic ones were good for -20F.  Late model Lithonia lights are crap compared to the 1960s and 70s ones they made.  Maybe with this being "industrial" it wont be too bad.

Preheat Fluorescents forever!
I love diesel engines, rural/farm life and vintage lighting!

Larry

View Posts
View Gallery

Rated PG 17

Re: Where to cut? « Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 03:25:17 PM » Author: Larry
Pretty cheesie that the new HO light is only rated for a minimum of 50 degrees F!  The good ole magnetic ones were good for -20F.  Late model Lithonia lights are crap compared to the 1960s and 70s ones they made.  Maybe with this being "industrial" it wont be too bad.

Yeah the ballast is no prize for sure, but it comes with the fixture.
I hope there is some metal to work with here.

I am looking forward to this project.
I don't know how it will turn out. :o

Update 4/9/14
I received the Lithonia 8 foot HO fixture and as you might figure it was bent in the middle and the parts were rattling around in the box scratching some of the paint.
I was able to bend it back out and it looks ok now.
The quality is so so for todays fixtures.

But you have to work with what's available today.
So looking at the HO recessed turret ends and disassembled them to find that the conversion to the F40T17 bulbs was not going to be a problem at all. :D

I did some experimenting and found that if you take the recessed holders apart the F40T17 pins fit in the back side of the bulb holders.
So with a small drill I drilled through the holder and the bulb pins fit right in perfect.
Then cut away some of the back side of the holders so the pins were exposed.
Small insulated alligator clips fit the pins no problem.
The T17 bulb holder problem solved. ;D

I had to do quite a bit of modifications to the 8 foot fixture to make it in to a 5 foot fixture but the result was much better than expected.
Also the F90T17 ballast fit into the channel, but was a tight fit.
The ballast was about a 1/8 of a inch too tall, but the reflector fit no problem.
The T17s clear the reflector by about a 1/4 inch only. :o
But has a factory fit look to the bulb placement in the holders.

I am using the F40T17 ballast and bulbs now because I have been unable to find two F90T17s bulbs.
They are still available, but...
Every place so far wants to sell them by the case for $$$. ::)
So I am still looking.

If I can modify this fixture, I am sure anyone here could do it also.
Now that I know how to do it the next one should go a lot faster. ;)
If any one wants to know the details of this conversion, let me know and I will go through the process and explain it the best I can.
From a distance it looks like a normal 4 foot fixture, but a closer look and those big T17s make it look really different.
It is going to find a place over my work bench soon. ;D

« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 04:18:25 AM by Larry » Logged

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies