Author Topic: Where I got many of my first vintage fluorescent lights  (Read 2229 times)
DieselNut

View Posts
View Gallery

John

jonathon.graves johng917 GeorgiaJohn
Where I got many of my first vintage fluorescent lights « on: March 27, 2014, 03:12:25 PM » Author: DieselNut
This is the old mill where I got many of my vintage lights back in the late 1990s.  I just ran across these guy's videos where they "explored" this place.  Watch at the 2:11 to 5:06 mark and you will see the old two tube lights still hanging, with at least 2/3 of them gone... (wonder where they went?...) There are still more to be had, but getting at them would be tricky and dangerous.  These are the General Electric with the spring loaded recessed lamp sockets/integral starter sockets.  I also got some of my Miller two and three tube lights in this place, although they came from the sections that have fallen in (seen after the 5:06 mark in these guy's video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPiiBv5liyw

Preheat Fluorescents forever!
I love diesel engines, rural/farm life and vintage lighting!

Larry

View Posts
View Gallery

Rated PG 17

Re: Where I got many of my first vintage fluorescent lights « Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 06:03:51 PM » Author: Larry
Good save.

The factory may be no more, but many of the fixtures you saved will live on forever. :D
I agree some of those would be difficult and dangerous to retrieve.

Sometimes rescue groups from fire departments practice retrieving people and things in old building.
May be they could be talked into retrieving some of the fixtures as a practice session.
They have the proper equipment and training for this kind of work.

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's GE Power Groove

nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

GoL the.baus.of.all.bauses UCDl2EWWZc9h1IZXcfGU9OZA nicksfans
Re: Where I got many of my first vintage fluorescent lights « Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 07:43:43 PM » Author: nicksfans
Wow, great stuff. So you got in, climbed up to the fixtures, removed them, and carried them out by yourself and managed not to fall through any floors? I'm impressed! I know it was a while ago and the floors were probably in better shape, but it still sounds like it was quite an adventure. Did you get a truck near the building, or did you have to carry the fixtures one by one through the woods?

I like my lamps thick, my ballasts heavy, and my fixtures tough.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

DieselNut

View Posts
View Gallery

John

Re: Where I got many of my first vintage fluorescent lights « Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 11:43:23 PM » Author: DieselNut
My friend Jason and I worked during the day and staged the lights by the big roll up door out front. We carried over 100 fixtures all through the place to stage them in a section just up from that main building. The Miller fixtures came from two two story buildings behind this one. We got all of them literally just before the roof fell in. We got the ones you see missing from this video before the floor was in this bad of shape but it was still sketchy. The ones still hanging were over the rotten floor areas. We got only a few from the basement because they were only reachable by standing on the top step of a 12 foot ladder. Once we had them all staged, we backed up to the "porch" and quickly loaded what we could into the truck. This took several trips and was the "riskiest" part because the building changed ownership right as we were finishing up getting them out. We did not have "permission" from the new owner who was hoping to use the place as an "investment". They boarded up all the doors and cleaned up a lot of scrap. About 30 or so of the lights we had staged disappeared. It was still a worthwhile effort and we both got LOTS of lights, over half of which still work to this day.

vintagefluorescent

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Where I got many of my first vintage fluorescent lights « Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 03:08:09 AM » Author: vintagefluorescent
Dang John,  You still missed quite a few still waiting for ya on the 1st floor . I love this video. Would love to travel with these guys . lets see now , A tall ladder , wire cutters a tool pouch loaded and rope and a big truck to load`m up in.

My friend Jason and I worked during the day and staged the lights by the big roll up door out front. We carried over 100 fixtures all through the place to stage them in a section just up from that main building. The Miller fixtures came from two two story buildings behind this one. We got all of them literally just before the roof fell in. We got the ones you see missing from this video before the floor was in this bad of shape but it was still sketchy. The ones still hanging were over the rotten floor areas. We got only a few from the basement because they were only reachable by standing on the top step of a 12 foot ladder. Once we had them all staged, we backed up to the "porch" and quickly loaded what we could into the truck. This took several trips and was the "riskiest" part because the building changed ownership right as we were finishing up getting them out. We did not have "permission" from the new owner who was hoping to use the place as an "investment". They boarded up all the doors and cleaned up a lot of scrap. About 30 or so of the lights we had staged disappeared. It was still a worthwhile effort and we both got LOTS of lights, over half of which still work to this day.
DieselNut

View Posts
View Gallery

John

Re: Where I got many of my first vintage fluorescent lights « Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 07:45:51 AM » Author: DieselNut
The ones on the first floor were almost inaccessable with the ladder we had. It was a 12 foot ladder and I was standing on the top step. To get the fixture, the reflector had to be removed, then the down rods disconnected from inside of it and the wires cut. Pretty awkward and very dangerous at that height. I got two down there that way but almost busted my arse and figured death or broken bones was not worth it. And the new owner would not give me permission to get anything out of there. The place has since changed hands again so I could maybe ask permission again but honestly it has deteriorated much more than in these guys video from a couple years ago. I have not been in there in about 20 years.

vintagefluorescent

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Where I got many of my first vintage fluorescent lights « Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 09:32:14 AM » Author: vintagefluorescent
The ones on the first floor were almost inaccessable with the ladder we had. It was a 12 foot ladder and I was standing on the top step. To get the fixture, the reflector had to be removed, then the down rods disconnected from inside of it and the wires cut. Pretty awkward and very dangerous at that height. I got two down there that way but almost busted my arse and figured death or broken bones was not worth it. And the new owner would not give me permission to get anything out of there. The place has since changed hands again so I could maybe ask permission again but honestly it has deteriorated much more than in these guys video from a couple years ago. I have not been in there in about 20 years.

Hopefully they will not go anywhere John , If I can ever make it up you're way I have ideas that can help , Usually I just throw a rope up over my head to hang onto while I'm on that top step and don't look down and take it from there .

I had some emergencies back in early november that cut my trip short , Such as a new ford F-150 truck going into limp mode on my way back (Bad throttle senser)

Lay plywood on the rotten floors upstairs if theres a will then theres a way , Hopefully I can get it right this time , In my last lifetime I took a major fall with a case of g-e mazda F100T17s !!!!
vintagefluorescent

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Where I got many of my first vintage fluorescent lights « Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 09:33:52 AM » Author: vintagefluorescent

Hopefully they will not go anywhere John , If I can ever make it up you're way I have ideas that can help , Usually I just throw a rope up over my head to hang onto while I'm on that top step and don't look down and take it from there .

I had some emergencies back in early november that cut my trip short , Such as a new ford F-150 truck going into limp mode on my way back (Bad throttle senser)

Lay plywood on the rotten floors upstairs if theres a will then theres a way , Hopefully I can get it right this time , In my past lifetime I took a major fall with a case of g-e mazda F100T17s !!!!
DieselNut

View Posts
View Gallery

John

Re: Where I got many of my first vintage fluorescent lights « Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 12:05:49 PM » Author: DieselNut
We can dang sure go explore the place!
I would love to get some more.  The ones you can see with the original ends (integral starter and tube sockets) removed are in use in our company shop, lit with Advance 3x32 T8 277v ballasts.  They had been converted to 2x40 rapid start while at this old mill.  Over half still remained as preheat and of those, nearly all still have their original GE "TULAMP" ballast working to this day in my shop!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies