Author Topic: Worldwide languages  (Read 2777 times)
marcopete87

View Posts
View Gallery

Worldwide languages « on: April 16, 2014, 02:37:59 PM » Author: marcopete87
Hi all, because lighting gallery have a lot of members in all parts of the world, what about discussing our languages?

(italian)
Ciao a tutti, visto che lighting gallery ha molti membri da tutte le parti del mondo, perchè non parliamo?

Ciao = Hi
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Worldwide languages « Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 04:11:25 PM » Author: Medved
I think using a language, that understand only few of members is not any good idea for a public discussion. And the only common language all of the members here at least can use is the English, so I will stay with that...
Even when you do not master it and make a lot of errors, it is still better to stick with that...

For private correspondence (PM's,...) it does not matter - when both understand, why it should matter at all..

No more selfballasted c***

marcopete87

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Worldwide languages « Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 05:54:08 PM » Author: marcopete87
Hi medved, i started it, because there was an discussion on an image about languages, so if someone want to discuss about languages of members, i think this off-topic section can be useful.
rjluna2

View Posts
View Gallery

Robert

GoL
Re: Worldwide languages « Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 08:19:24 PM » Author: rjluna2
At one point, we had a member who only typed in French.  That doesn't stop from me talking to a certain member using Google Translation on my fingertip along with my own language as well :D

Pretty, please no more Chinese failure.

Globe Collector

View Posts
View Gallery

Preserving the Brightest Ideas of Our Age

Re: Worldwide languages « Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 08:31:41 PM » Author: Globe Collector
   I would prefer the person's native language with a cyber-translation into English beneath, however imperfect. It is just that you must realize that any (cyber)translation in the absence of a native speaker sitting beside you will not be perfect and not take offense to any apparently "rude" or "vulgar" expressions which may accidentally arise.
   I am sure that a lot of work is being done on cyber-translators, and as time goes by they will become more accurate. This is certainly true for languages with more than 50 million speakers like French, Italian or Hindi, but as for unusual languages like Hopi or Pitjanjara, well we can only wait or go and learn them and help put on translation projects.

Manufactured articles should be made to be used, not made to be sold!

Fee, Fye, Fow, Fum, A dead man's eye and a parrot's BUM!

LegacyLighting

View Posts
View Gallery

Blake

Re: Worldwide languages « Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 08:05:08 AM » Author: LegacyLighting
I take my hat off to the non English-speaking members, who do their best to translate their native language in order to engage with the English-speaking majority in the L-G. That can't be easy.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies