Author Topic: New guy here  (Read 2960 times)
DaveMan

View Posts
View Gallery

New guy here « on: August 26, 2007, 03:27:21 PM » Author: DaveMan
Hello all. My name is David. I am a 22 year old musician and a lighting enthusiast from California. I've been fascinated by light fixtures for about all of my life. I'm particularly fond of old fluorescent lights and mercury vapor lights and I collect those. Hope everyone's weekend is good so far.

David L.
Administrator, Lighting-Gallery.net

TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: New guy here « Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 11:36:56 PM » Author: TudorWhiz
Welcome to the Lighting-Gallery.net!

I am one of the three adminstrators in this lighting-gallery webpage (and as of now the most active one) and I am 23 years old living in Maryland, We have a few members who live in Caifornia also.

I will be glad to help you anytime relating with Lighting-gallery.net, i have been told that I am really helpful to some members here!

But I do want to give out one rule that is often broken, probably because this rule wasn't seen or for some other reason. Hopefully you'll understand it
The Linking rule is here

But most importantly I hope you really enjoy this webpage and that you will have fun sharing your pictures, enjoying others, and enjoying on commenting pictures.

By the way I myself havae enjoyed seeing different style wrapparound fixtures as growing up since elem. school when I noticed that there were slight difference of designs of wraparounds which would look same to most people's eyes. I have noticed it when I was in my classroom that had one newer wrapparound fixture that was from the 70s while the rest was from 1966 in that room.

I also enjoyed different style streetlight arms growing up when going different places.....esp for NYC!!!!

Yeah man mercury vapor are the best!

Well enjoy this website! Looking forward to seeing your pics!

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Administrator of Galleryoflights.org

J-Frog

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: New guy here « Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 12:14:59 AM » Author: J-Frog
Welcome Dave, I am Jeremiah, I also live in CA, and I collect fluorescent lamps and HID lamps of all 3 types (merc, HPS and MH).  My favorite are older fluoro lamps especially the ones with black endcaps and mercury HID lamps!  Welcome to LG and enjoy!

Jeremiah The Bullfrog

Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: New guy here « Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 01:48:57 AM » Author: Silverliner
Welcome Dave, this is the other Dave (aka Silverliner) and I'm also a CA lamp collector. I collect vintage incandescent, fluorescent and HID lamps. Fixtures include mercury vapor street lights and preheat fluorescent fixtures. Hope you enjoy LG too.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

mr_big
Re: New guy here « Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 02:07:04 AM » Author: mr_big
Welcome to LG Dave

I am also a CA lighting collector that collects mainly fluorescent and incandescent lamps with a few H.I.Ds (Mainly HPS lamps)

DaveMan

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: New guy here « Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 06:55:54 AM » Author: DaveMan
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. People used to think I was weird back in school because I stared at the ceiling a lot, mainly to look at light fixtures. Most people didn't really notice the details that I did. I always noticed the details of the different types of wraparound fluorescents in my schools. There were different lens shapes, different end caps, some had different starting characteristics than others. What I would like to find that I have yet to see is a preheat start wraparound fixture.

David L.
Administrator, Lighting-Gallery.net

TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: New guy here « Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 11:11:16 AM » Author: TudorWhiz
LOL I did the same thing always looking at fixtures in schools mostly the wrapparounds!!!! I also noticed different sides shapes.....Jeremiah from California, came over to Maryland and met me! He helped me install a 4 lamp wrapparound from 1988 missing sides, we changed ballast to T-8 since our old old old electric saw would make rapid start (Esp for the low power factor) totally dim and flicker when saw is used!....... So we put up the wraparound changing from a 1986-1987 workshop fixture we have ad since our old house in 1985 which brought to the house when we moved in 1988, then just recently almost 3 months ago we moved again, I brought the wraparound and that old 80s workshop with me (I also asked my parents to take that 80s style dining room light since it was also from the 1985 house I lived in (I was born in 1983 and I remember the 1985 house clearly which we moved out in 1988.....)

When me and Jeremiah installed the Wrapparound I wanted to put wooden sides for that light since the sides were gone.....Jeremiah and my mom wouldn't let me! Jeremiah said I was a perfectionist   :-\

But when I moved here in June, I reinstalled the same fixture alone myself in the basement and made the wooden sides in a specific shape....and boy it looked good......showed the pic to Jeremiah, and yep he thought it looked good! I will post the pic sometime soon if your interested (I may even post it of me installing it all myself (had my camera autoshutter 10 times each press of button 3 seconds apart)

Trust me many people think im weird! I used to not like being weird, but now I'm proud of it!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 09:16:25 PM by TudorWhiz » Logged

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

J-Frog

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: New guy here « Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 08:27:04 PM » Author: J-Frog
Oh people thought I was wierd too!  I am glad I found LG where people enjoy my interest in lighting and lamps!

Jeremiah The Bullfrog

don93s

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: New guy here « Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 01:03:26 AM » Author: don93s
Hi Dave,
My name is Don and I live in Michigan. I seen your video blog on the MV ban. You mentioned collecting various older magnetic ballasts and I have a few you can have. I have a bunch of 2-40w RS ballasts dating from the 60's thru the 80's. Also, I might have a spare 175w MV ballast if you are interested. All for free of course. Just send me a PM.
TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: New guy here « Reply #9 on: August 30, 2007, 02:21:44 AM » Author: TudorWhiz
Dave, Don here is a really nice guy! He is a lot of fun to talk to too!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies