Author Topic: Any vintage calculator collectors here?  (Read 27966 times)
TheUniversalDave1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Any vintage calculator collectors here? « Reply #90 on: February 16, 2015, 03:09:02 PM » Author: TheUniversalDave1
I tried putting my thumbnail between them, but it didn't help. I can't measure the voltage because my multimeter is also acting stupid.
themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

themaritimegirl themaritimegirl themaritimegirl
Re: Any vintage calculator collectors here? « Reply #91 on: February 16, 2015, 03:12:07 PM » Author: themaritimegirl
Maybe that needs a new battery, too.  :D

Electrical Engineering Graduate
YouTube | Twitter | Instagram

TheUniversalDave1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Any vintage calculator collectors here? « Reply #92 on: May 08, 2015, 06:13:21 PM » Author: TheUniversalDave1
I got this almost new Casio calculator from my English teacher for free today. It was displaying garbage on the screen, and it would not clear. I pushed the reboot code indicated on the case, and that solved the problem.
mrboojay

View Posts
View Gallery

I love bulbs of all types.

mrboojay UC2tpasJaLc8IhVdjcDkI_3A mrboojay mrboojays_pics
Re: Any vintage calculator collectors here? « Reply #93 on: May 08, 2015, 07:48:40 PM » Author: mrboojay
Haha nice!  Don't you just love it when you get something that is "broken" and the fix is just so easy?

-mrboojay
My lighting-gallery.net Gallery
My YouTube Channel

themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

Re: Any vintage calculator collectors here? « Reply #94 on: May 08, 2015, 10:16:09 PM » Author: themaritimegirl
Nice! That's one of the most advanced non-graphing non-programming calculators Casio currently makes. Same as my FX-991MS, except it has the fancy natural display.

TheUniversalDave1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Any vintage calculator collectors here? « Reply #95 on: May 08, 2015, 11:18:37 PM » Author: TheUniversalDave1
When I saw that it was a Casio, you were the first person I thought of since you have one just like it. Too bad I suck at math, otherwise I might be able to make use of it.  :P
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Any vintage calculator collectors here? « Reply #96 on: May 09, 2015, 08:58:23 AM » Author: Medved
To be honest I did never find any use for these more complex calculators.
The extra features mean the basic calculations become more complicated, while still way insufficient for really complex math.

I more like to use the simplest "scientific" ones (just plain calculations, single 7-segment display, 10+2 digits way sufficient; e.g. KC108) for the basic calculations (where I need the calculations to be really quick) and then do all the more advanced stuff (arrays, statistics, circuit analyses,...) on a true computer (so with very easy way to double check the entered data, equations and interpreting results, so more likely to catch errors).

No more selfballasted c***

themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

Re: Any vintage calculator collectors here? « Reply #97 on: May 09, 2015, 04:25:06 PM » Author: themaritimegirl
To be honest I did never find any use for these more complex calculators.
The extra features mean the basic calculations become more complicated, while still way insufficient for really complex math.

I have a calculator similar to the one above, and I've used every single function on it. It works fine for me, either with simple math or the more complex stuff.

Edit: I was thinking of my previous calculator, which had fewer functions. I've used maybe 2/3 of the functions on my current one.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 04:27:06 PM by TheMaritimeMan » Logged

themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

Re: Any vintage calculator collectors here? « Reply #98 on: July 01, 2015, 10:31:16 PM » Author: themaritimegirl
Video of the Canon Multi 8 is now up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7NqILXuWyI

themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

Re: Any vintage calculator collectors here? « Reply #99 on: September 29, 2015, 12:48:47 AM » Author: themaritimegirl
Dave, did you ever get your 12C working again? I don't think we ever did figure out why it suddenly quit.

themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

Re: Any vintage calculator collectors here? « Reply #100 on: December 30, 2015, 10:55:43 PM » Author: themaritimegirl
I got two really cool calculators for Christmas. Only one of them is vintage and the other is brand new, but I think both are worth mentioning.

The new one is a Texas Instruments TI-84 Plus CE. It's the newest member of the mid-range TI-84 series, a redesigned and improved TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition. It's been on the market almost a year. I've always wanted one, but never planned on getting one due to budget constraints, but ended up buying one online for $160 just before Christmas because I got screwed over on an exam when a question required us to calculate the hyperbolic tangent of a complex number, which only TI graphing calculators (and maybe high-end calculators from other companies) can do.

My review: Looks awesome, feels high quality. Color display looks great. Battery life is apparently ridiculously long. Only complaint is the glossy black finish picks up fingerprints like crazy. Maybe the other colors are better?

The vintage calculator is a Casio FX-6300G, an entry-level graphing calculator sold from 1991 to 1997. This calculator is really cool in that the display is smaller than your usual graphing calculator, and only the left half is dot-matrix and used for graphing. The right half is all indicators, except for a single dot-matrix line used for calculations. As a result it's really tiny - smaller than some regular scientific calculators. It's also programmable in Casio BASIC and has just about all the functions found in a high-end scientific. Really cool calculator.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 11:16:26 PM by TheMaritimeMan » Logged

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Any vintage calculator collectors here? « Reply #101 on: September 10, 2017, 05:32:54 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
I have a vintage Nixie Tube calculator.  Photos are in the gallery.  it is cool because it takes about a second or so for the thing to "compute" the answer and the Nixies "scroll" as it does so.  Unfortunately, some of the keys do not always work properly, but all the Nixies do. 
Can you post link to it?

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Any vintage calculator collectors here? « Reply #102 on: January 08, 2020, 02:24:54 PM » Author: Rommie
Just seen someone looking at this old topic, the calculator I would most like to get is one I had back in the 1980's, a Hewlett Packard HP21. It had a red LED display and used Reverse Polish Notation, which made complex calculations very easy, as you could literally work through an equation from left to right. I still have the instruction book for it somewhere, but looking on eBay the only ones I've seen are well in excess of £100, which is way too expensive for me  :-\

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

migette1

View Posts
View Gallery

Peter

migette1
Re: Any vintage calculator collectors here? « Reply #103 on: January 11, 2020, 11:16:55 AM » Author: migette1
Being number blind I find a calculator an essentual item (yes cannot spell either LOL) useful working out the amperage of lamps that I put up on the gallery, my one is a Busicom sc-121b/s electronic desk-top caculator solar powered...very good... got it from a boot sale.

Interested in the history of electric lighting and incandescent in particular and neon glow lamps.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Any vintage calculator collectors here? « Reply #104 on: January 11, 2020, 11:28:02 AM » Author: Rommie
Being number blind I find a calculator an essentual item (yes cannot spell either LOL) useful working out the amperage of lamps that I put up on the gallery, my one is a Busicom sc-121b/s electronic desk-top caculator solar powered...very good... got it from a boot sale.
Is there anything you have that you didn't get from a boot sale..?  ;D :D

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies