Author Topic: Pulsestarter on a resistive ballast  (Read 1580 times)
themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

themaritimegirl themaritimegirl themaritimegirl
Pulsestarter on a resistive ballast « on: May 25, 2014, 03:44:19 PM » Author: themaritimegirl
Has anyone ever tried or would consider trying out a Pulsestarter (or any electronic starter) on a resistive/incandescent ballast? If anyone could, I'd be interested to hear if it makes starting any easier compared to a regular glow starter. I'd be looking primarily for tests on 120V since (I assume) 240V doesn't have as much trouble starting lamps on resistive ballasts. But tests on either voltage would be cool.

Thanks.  ;D

Electrical Engineering Graduate
YouTube | Twitter | Instagram

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Pulsestarter on a resistive ballast « Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 03:59:10 PM » Author: Medved
Assuming the fluoractor concept, it won't work, neither on 120, nor 230V. The reason is, the fkuoractor switches itself OFF only when the current drops below some value. With an inductance in series it still means quite high voltage spike (given there is nothing like a parasitic arc across glowbottle starter's contacts).
But with the resistive ballast the ignition voltage is just the mains voltage at the moment of starter switch turning OFF, so the low current means low voltage as well. And that won't start the lamp.

And there is another problem: The electronic starters do not like any extra currents, I guess mainly the high di/dt (ther really need the inductance), the fluoractor get very easily damaged (10nF kills it reliably,...)

I did some experiments on a 230V, but with multiple lamps in series. I was able to light three US-spec F10T8 (so those ~35cm 0.22A/50V types) in series with a 60W incandescent as a ballast, but only with manual preheat
With a glowbottle I was able to operate just single one, Philips S10e electronic starter was not able to start even the single one (and after few tries went short circuit)

No more selfballasted c***

themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

themaritimegirl themaritimegirl themaritimegirl
Re: Pulsestarter on a resistive ballast « Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 12:31:19 PM » Author: themaritimegirl
I bought a Pulsestarter, and tried it on a resistive ballast - it works absolutely fine.

Electrical Engineering Graduate
YouTube | Twitter | Instagram

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies