Author Topic: Show us your Vacuum Cleaners!  (Read 6074 times)
TheUniversalDave1

View Posts
View Gallery

Show us your Vacuum Cleaners! « on: May 31, 2014, 04:59:39 PM » Author: TheUniversalDave1
This is just a few of my 50 or so Vacuum Cleaners. The first Vacuum Cleaner I collected was a 1951 Kirby 511. I have been collecting for almost 4 years. There is a really cool website I am a member of called Vacuumland.org, home of the Vacuum Cleaner Collectors' Club. The Kirby Company is going to celebrate their 100th anniversary in Cleveland, OH June 12-15, and they have invited us to join them. I'm looking forward to going!  :D
themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

themaritimegirl themaritimegirl themaritimegirl
Re: Show us your Vacuum Cleaners! « Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 11:09:28 PM » Author: themaritimegirl
Wow! That's a lot of vacuum cleaners. We have a Hoover Celebrity III, one of the ones that floats on air. It works, but the power switch is broken, the power cord was modified with another cord spliced into it to make it longer, the hose it duct-taped to the machine, and the floor nozzle likes to fall off. As a result, Mom has expressed interest in throwing it away, so that'll probably happen. If I had any say in the matter I would attempt to restore it. But such is life. I'll get a picture of it if I remember.

Dad also had a 1940's Electrolux vacuum cleaner that sat in storage. It was buried with the rest of the house when it was demolished in 2012.

Electrical Engineering Graduate
YouTube | Twitter | Instagram

TheUniversalDave1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Show us your Vacuum Cleaners! « Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 11:39:44 PM » Author: TheUniversalDave1
There are Hoover buffs on Vacuumland who collect NOTHING but Hoover. You should definitely try to save the Celebrity, as they are getting quite rare. I have a few Hoovers myself, but most of my machines are Kirby. In the 1960's, Hoover had the Constellation, which was their first attempt at a floating Vacuum.

The machine your father had was probably an Electrolux XXX (30). One of the best selling Vacuums of all time. I don't have one of those yet, but I hope I find one eventually.

Oops. I just remembered. Electrolux had a special line for the Canadian market that I am not familiar with. The Canadian models start with the letter Z. ("Zed", not "Zee") (People that say "Zee" irritate me.)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 11:42:56 PM by TheUniversalDave1 » Logged
themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

Re: Show us your Vacuum Cleaners! « Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 11:53:56 PM » Author: themaritimegirl
Yeah, I've already tried Mom on the idea - you couldn't budge her with a backhoe. Even if someone paid us to take it. It's a goner. It's her vacuum, so I guess it's no matter anyhow...

Yeah, it wasn't the XXX. I remember what it looked like, but I've yet to be able to find a picture of one.

TheUniversalDave1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Show us your Vacuum Cleaners! « Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 12:09:27 AM » Author: TheUniversalDave1
Did it look like any of these?
themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

Re: Show us your Vacuum Cleaners! « Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 12:11:53 AM » Author: themaritimegirl
Picture's too tiny to tell. It looked kind of like the two on the right. If I could see the other end (ie. the motor housing) of those ones I could tell for sure. Oddly enough that end of the vacuum is what I remember most vividly.

Mercury Man

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Show us your Vacuum Cleaners! « Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 12:05:39 AM » Author: Mercury Man
I am an American Electrolux collector, and here are some photos of my vacs:
TheUniversalDave1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Show us your Vacuum Cleaners! « Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 12:23:53 AM » Author: TheUniversalDave1
Very nice Electroluxes, Mercury Man! I see your power nozzles look brand new! I have a Model G, 1205, and Super J.
DetroitTwoStroke

View Posts
View Gallery

Luke

Re: Show us your Vacuum Cleaners! « Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 01:01:28 AM » Author: DetroitTwoStroke
It's got all the attachments. Well, what do you think of that? Look at this. Here, you put this on and that's for cleaning rugs.

We haven't got any rugs.

You put this on for cleaning upholstered furniture.

We haven't got any upholstered furniture.

You clean drapes with this.

And we haven't got any drapes.

And this picks up the dirt.

That we've got.

Now, who can place that quote? :D

Pride and quality workmanship should lie behind manufacturing, not greed.

jrmcferren

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Show us your Vacuum Cleaners! « Reply #9 on: June 26, 2014, 07:50:45 PM » Author: jrmcferren
It's got all the attachments. Well, what do you think of that? Look at this. Here, you put this on and that's for cleaning rugs.

We haven't got any rugs.

You put this on for cleaning upholstered furniture.

We haven't got any upholstered furniture.

You clean drapes with this.

And we haven't got any drapes.

And this picks up the dirt.

That we've got.

Now, who can place that quote? :D

Good bet that is Abbot and Costello.
DetroitTwoStroke

View Posts
View Gallery

Luke

Re: Show us your Vacuum Cleaners! « Reply #10 on: June 26, 2014, 11:19:55 PM » Author: DetroitTwoStroke
You are close. It is from a '50s TV show, just not that one. ;D

Pride and quality workmanship should lie behind manufacturing, not greed.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Show us your Vacuum Cleaners! « Reply #11 on: June 28, 2014, 02:24:35 AM » Author: dor123
My father Sachs chinese 1500W vaccum cleaner:

It have an electronic PWM dimmer to change the speed of the fan motor.
Its power cord scrolls from inside it, and it have no any bag at all.

My chinese SKIL 600W blower, that I uses to clean my computer:

It can also be used as a vaccum cleaner by putting its pipe on the suction hole and putting a bag on the blowing hole. But because of the dust filter there, it isn't so efficient at cleaning dust in this mode.
It also have a PWM dimmer, but mechanical one I think.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 02:30:31 AM by dor123 » Logged

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

Re: Show us your Vacuum Cleaners! « Reply #12 on: July 25, 2014, 08:40:51 PM » Author: themaritimegirl
Here's Mom's soon to be junked Hoover Celebrity III. Broken power switch, home-made power cord extension held together with electrical tape, rotten hose attached with duct tape and held together with duct tape, attachments held on with duct tape. Nobody bother telling me to try and save it somehow - I've already tried barking up that tree. It's Mom's vacuum, and she insists it goes nowhere but the curb. Kinda sad since I've known this thing all my life, but it's too far gone now. I personally don't think you could get anything for it on eBay or elsewhere. I'll save the motor and power cord from it before it goes.

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Show us your Vacuum Cleaners! « Reply #13 on: January 05, 2015, 05:38:52 AM » Author: tolivac
Vacuum cleaners-I just joined on here-I am from the Vacuum Cleaner site.I have an extensive collection-mostly Kirby.No pictures yet.
TheUniversalDave1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Show us your Vacuum Cleaners! « Reply #14 on: January 05, 2015, 08:44:15 AM » Author: TheUniversalDave1
Nice to see you, Tolivac! I'm "Sonnyndad" from Vacuumland.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies