Author Topic: Fluorescent lamp starters  (Read 2320 times)
wishus

View Posts
View Gallery

Fluorescent lamp starters « on: June 07, 2014, 11:37:05 AM » Author: wishus
Hi all,

I'd like to build fixture similar to the one Larry did for his 90W T17 fluorescent lamps.
I have the ballast in hand already, and the fixture will be turret style like Larry's, with plenty of room between the lamp and fixture for those massive tubes.
Next on the list to acquire are starters.  After looking for these, I have seen different types, and now have a few questions:

- What is the difference between 4-pin and 2-pin starters?  I've never heard of 4-pin before, and the schematic on the sticker of the ballast only shows 2 connections to the starters, so I presume I'll only need 2-pin starters.  What were 4-pin starters used for and how were they different/better/worse than 2-pin?

- Some of the starters I've seen have a pushpin on the top.  I presume they are to reset the starter after it detects the lamp has been trying to start for too long, and the starter pops the pin up and saves the lamp from eternal preheat and premature lamp failure. So I guess the pushpin type would be better.  Are there advantages to the non-pushpin kind or is that the only difference between them?

Now the only thing left are the lamps themselves (and lampholders, though I guess I'll have as much trouble finding those as the lamps)  :-D

Interested mainly in discharge lighting (mercury, sodium, neon) and also old and unusual incandescents.

themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

themaritimegirl themaritimegirl themaritimegirl
Re: Fluorescent lamp starters « Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 02:26:50 PM » Author: themaritimegirl
You're correct about the cut-out starters. After a period of failed attempts to start, the button pops up and disconnects the starter. It's to save the starter and the ballast, rather than the lamp (a lamp in such a state is likely EOL, anyway).

Electrical Engineering Graduate
YouTube | Twitter | Instagram

Larry

View Posts
View Gallery

Rated PG 17

Re: Fluorescent lamp starters « Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 04:15:58 PM » Author: Larry
The starters with the little push buttons on top I think were made for places with a large number of fixtures so that if bulb would not start, the starter would lock out the bulb instead of keep trying to light.
For most members here that watch their lighting very close, the lock out starters would not be much of a advantage over normal starters.
I have used both kinds in the past and have noticed no difference between them in normal operation.

The existing lamp holders in the Turret fixture are modified for the F90T17s so you don't need to locate any of the original type of holders.

Unfortunately you are correct about the F90T17 bulbs as they have very difficult to find as of late.
I figure that they will be showing up on ebay at some point in time, but so far no luck. ???

Also If you can't find any F90T17s, you can still make the same fixture using F40T17s which are still available on Amazon and use a Advance SM-2E40-S-TP instant start ballast or similar to operate the F40T17s.
The fixture would look just the same, but would not as much light output as the F90T17s

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's GE Power Groove

wishus

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Fluorescent lamp starters « Reply #3 on: June 07, 2014, 08:12:54 PM » Author: wishus
I have 2 F40T17s and just ordered the Advance SM-2E40-S-TP instant start ballast to power them.  So at the very least I have enough for a 40W T17 fixture.
I would definitely like to have a 90 (or even 100) watt fixture though!

Still not sure what the 4-pin starters are used for though.  I assume I don't need to worry about them.
Thanks for the replies everyone! :-)

Interested mainly in discharge lighting (mercury, sodium, neon) and also old and unusual incandescents.

Larry

View Posts
View Gallery

Rated PG 17

Re: Fluorescent lamp starters « Reply #4 on: June 07, 2014, 10:23:21 PM » Author: Larry
I have 2 F40T17s and just ordered the Advance SM-2E40-S-TP instant start ballast to power them.  So at the very least I have enough for a 40W T17 fixture.
I would definitely like to have a 90 (or even 100) watt fixture though!

Still not sure what the 4-pin starters are used for though.  I assume I don't need to worry about them.
Thanks for the replies everyone! :-)

Sounds great, plus if you do ever find any F90T17s in the future, it is easy to convert the already modified fixture from the F40T17s to F90T17s since you already have the F90T17 Ballast.

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's GE Power Groove

DieselNut

View Posts
View Gallery

John

jonathon.graves johng917 GeorgiaJohn
Re: Fluorescent lamp starters « Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 02:22:24 PM » Author: DieselNut
4 pin starters are the "cut out" type. They cut out the power to the tube from the ballast, not just the power through the starter, as the two pin cutout type does.  Does not seem to be an advantage to the 4 pin type by what I can tell and I have several of each.

Preheat Fluorescents forever!
I love diesel engines, rural/farm life and vintage lighting!

wishus

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Fluorescent lamp starters « Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 07:13:40 PM » Author: wishus
Ahh, okay DieselNut.  Thanks for the explanation.  From what I gather all I need are the two pin type anyhow :)

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies